2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CalBears

I hope I can run as fast as you at your age. Fun times at CIM thinking I dropped you/you faded back to your 3:01-2 prediction only to see you seconds after I crossed the finish line. Hopefully I can get back to that spot.

That race still bothers me - I can't believe you were faster than me! Horrible... Just horrible... 

Hope to pay you back this year 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

nice. Hopefully this keeps going. Didn't it die out when the RWOL forums died?

Not at all - because rbbmoose is going live forever! It might die though - because nobody runs as fast as Mikkey and me (relative to their age, of course) anymore 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Not at all - because rbbmoose is going live forever! It might die though - because nobody runs as fast as Mikkey and me (relative to their age, of course) anymore 

Didn’t Jmac get one in 2019?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Nope. 32 yo should run sub 2:32, not sub 2:37 

My Next % arrive on Wednesday. Forgive me for I have sinned 

I would like to thank Nike from the bottom of my heart. 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah, in his dreams!

Piwi - Excellent! 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dropping by with yesterday's race report (87:52 official).  Will stop by later for my week+shoutouts.

Well, I'm TRYING to run...: Race Report: Salisbury Half-Marathon, April 3, 2021

(sorry - duplicate posting - I'm lazy)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Congrats on the Master win, Dwave.  The Pepto Bismol for VCD is interesting.

Mikkey:  That’s a nice mug!

My week:  4 runs and 1 elliptical session...

S:  Rest

M:  12.6M @ 8:19

T:  6.7M elliptical

W:  9M @ 8:23

T:  7.85M @ 7:38 w/20min LT

F:  Rest

S:  21M @ 8:02

Total:  50.45 running, 6.7 elliptical.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

DW - Great time in less than ideal circumstances and congrats on the Masters win!  Plus seeing your parents again without having to wear n95 masks must’ve been nice.

OMR -  Another good week!  Our gyms open in a weeks time and I’m thinking of hitting the elliptical machine instead of easy/recovery runs so that my dodgy heel doesn’t flare up.

My week...

Mon - 4.2 @ 9:34

Tue - 21.5 @ 7:28   w/3x3 miles (6:37. 6:38. 6:47 avg pace).1 mile recovery.

Thur - 14 @ 8:08

Fri - 8.6 @ 7:08   w/5x1200 in 4:38/37/32/33/33. 2min easy recovery.

Sun - 23.1 @ 7:47

Total - 71.4

Tue workout I faded in the last interval because I didn’t follow my own instructions of sticking to 6:45 pace from the start.    Today’s long run felt comfortable and was pleasantly surprised at seeing 131bpm HR after the run. Just need to work on some decent LT runs now!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DW: Congrats on the M win and solid race! A good learning experience with the Adios Pro as well. Do you think you will ever run a full in the Adios 2, 3 or 4 (I forget which is your favorite...)? Maybe at some point I'll build up the confidence to run one in the Adios 4. BTW, you mentioned you had measured the course and knew when there was 400m left; how did you measure it?

OMR: Nice week and really strong long run.

Mikkey: Wow! what a week. 2 big long runs. Looks like your fitness is coming around quickly!

Taper week #1 went ok. I wasn;t too happy about my HR for the workout on Wednesday; was over 170 for the T and M miles; way too high. I almost feel like I had some sort of issues from the first shot, but who knows. I took the next day off and HR has since come down to where it should be the last few days so hopefully all is ok. This week I'll be following the JMac recipe for the final week of taper.

Weekly for period: From: 03/29/2021 To 04/04/2021

Date Name Distance
                      in mi
                      Duration Avg Pace
                      per mi
                      Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      Tue Morning Run 8.26 1:09:56 8:28 486
                      Wed Morning Run w/ 1T + 2M + 1T 9.13 1:02:42 6:52 427
                      Fri Morning Run 10.09 1:20:58 8:01 538
                      Sat Trail Run 8.13 1:11:02 8:44 525
                      Sun Morning Run 13.02 1:44:24 8:01 709

Total distance: 48.63 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

OMR

Mikkey:  That’s an impressive way to get 71 miles.  I’m kind of thinking the same regarding the elliptical, but making it more of a strength workout, which I don’t know that I want to add the day after a long run (or the day before a workout).  So, kind of tough to squeeze in.

JT:  Looks like tapering is going well for you.  I wouldn’t let the elevated HR worry you.  Things always get weird during the taper, right?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks all.  Mikkey - regarding the "less than ideal" - I do want to be clear that it was a fast course on a great day.  I had a few personal hiccups that I think in the end probably didn't affect my time that much; a lot of people PRd, which was fantastic.

JTReeves - I raced all distances in the Adios 2, with many of my best races and breakthrough PRs in that shoe.  My 10K PR is STILL from a race in that shoe.  I loved that shoe for any distance 10K and up, and used it happily for several marathons.  I like the Vaporfly slightly better for longer distances, but it's a close call between the two.  Both are firm, with a high heel and some bounce - the VF has more stack height and is softer, with a bit of rocker action.

I was very upset when the Adios 2 was replaced with the Adios 3, which was much more flexible.  I still have two older pairs that I use for speedwork - I'll continue to do so until they're completely dead.

OMR - nice week, with some good balance.  I just checked the schedule and realized you were only 5 weeks out.  Not too far.

Mikkey - you are making some good progress on your fitness.  I get the facepalm about the fade due to not listening to one's own best advice.

JTReeves  - I would think that the high HR would make sense if you ran that workout soon after getting the shot.  I wouldn't worry about that one at all.  I'm starting to get excited for this upcoming weekend!

My week:

36 miles running, 500 yards swimming, and 2:50 hours pool-running

M: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                          T: 10 miles, including a track workout of 4x800 in 3:03, 3:03, 3:02, 3:00 with 400m recovery in between 2:23 and 2:32 after each. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                          W: 7 miles very easy (8:56), and light streaming yoga.
                          Th: 50 minutes pool-running, and light upper body weights/core.
                          F: 2 miles very easy (9:09)
                          Sa: 3 mile warm-up, half marathon in 87:52; 1 mile cooldown.
                          Su: 70 minutes pool-running and second Moderna jab.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

cinnamon girl

OMR and Mikkey: Church of the Sunday long run !!  <edit: OMR I just noticed your week ended Saturday with the long run - nice run anyhow !!>

JT: your heart will be ready to go come race day 

M: 60 min slow, flat (8:40)
                            T: rest
                            W: 20 min easy, 8 x 2 min hard/1 min off, 15 min easy
                            T: 45 min recovery, flat (8:27)
                            F: 65 min easy, hilly, 88 deg (8:12) windless and shirtless
                            S: 60 min slow, flat (8:39)
                            S: 2 hr steady, flat (7:35)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

We need to big up the females on this thread!.....darkwave and cinnamon have both won Moose Mugs. ❤️👍

We need to big up the females on this thread!.....darkwave and cinnamon have both won Moose Mugs. ❤️👍

Totally agree! They have each gotten multiple MMs if I recall correctly. Very impressive!

OMR: Yes, things do tend to get weird during taper. I'm fully expecting some weirdness this week...

Cinnamon: Nice long run and workout! I like the 2 min hard workouts and often go in thinking I'll keep it to 1 min rest but always wimp out and take 2 min rest. 

2:52:16 (2018)