2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Yeah, those first couple miles did feel tougher than they should have with the uphill, though I felt much better when it started on the downhill. I guess it's true for all runners to varying degrees but for me hills just kill my rhythm and I never recover fully on downhills from the prior uphill. Thus why I'm always seeking a flat course! Maybe I should just run St. George and let gravity carry me under 2:50 

Berlin next year?.....with Andres, Cinnamon, Calbears, JMac....and Slammin to make it properly kick arse!!!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Berlin next year?.....with Andres, Cinnamon, Calbears, JMac....and maybe Slammin to make it properly kick arse!!!

I would love to run Berlin with you guys! I need to get a 2:55 at Boston next year to qualify for Berlin, so that will be the goal. I think the Berlin lottery is pretty tough so meeting the time standard looks like the way to go. Unfortunately they only take times run on AIMS courses (basically the big races) so these little races I've run won't count. Need to get it done at Boston.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

2:55 to qualify for Berlin compared to 3:20 to qualify for Boston. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

2:55 to qualify for Berlin compared to 3:20 to qualify for Boston. 

Boston is a joke.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Boston is a joke.

Yep, it’s time for you to get serious now and focus on Berlin. 👍

OMR

Berlin:  Interesting that the qualifying time is the same for 45-59 year olds.  I need my old man soft cushion!

Berlin:  Interesting that the qualifying time is the same for 45-59 year olds.  I need my old man soft cushion!

Yes, they are pretty broad ranges!  RP, you need to run even faster; 18-44 needs sub 2:45.

DW and Cinnamon can hit their qualifiers easily.

Alternatively, Berlin offers entries by qualification to ‘fast runners’, which have minimum qualifying times as follows:

Male Runners: Age 18 to 44: under 2:45 hours . Male Runners Age 45 to 59: under 2:55 hours. Male Runners Age 60 and up: under 3:25 hours.

Female Runners: Age 18 to 44: under 3:00 hours. Female Runners Age 45 to 59 : under 3:20 hours. Female Runners Age 60 and up : under 4:10 hours.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Would be tough for me to turn down the Tokyo marathon if I go abroad. It was one thing I was excited about breaking 2:45 at Boston 19. Berlin, although fast, doesn't appeal to me as much. Food is a huge part of my travels and German food was never my thing. British food isn't either, but I do love the pubs 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yes, they are pretty broad ranges!  RP, you need to run even faster; 18-44 needs sub 2:45.

DW and Cinnamon can hit their qualifiers easily.

Alternatively, Berlin offers entries by qualification to ‘fast runners’, which have minimum qualifying times as follows:

Male Runners: Age 18 to 44: under 2:45 hours . Male Runners Age 45 to 59: under 2:55 hours. Male Runners Age 60 and up: under 3:25 hours.

Female Runners: Age 18 to 44: under 3:00 hours. Female Runners Age 45 to 59 : under 3:20 hours. Female Runners Age 60 and up : under 4:10 hours.

I see no appeal in Berlin. Doing all the majors seems like rich/retired folk sport. I’m neither. I can only dream of a 2:45 marathon. Never expected to run Boston or even a marathon and I said I could quit running when I run the Boston marathon. I think that was 8 years ago.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Would be tough for me to turn down the Tokyo marathon if I go abroad. It was one thing I was excited about breaking 2:45 at Boston 19. Berlin, although fast, doesn't appeal to me as much. Food is a huge part of my travels and German food was never my thing. British food isn't either, but I do love the pubs 

So you don’t like the British chicken tikka masala signature dish???

I love Thai food and the wife and I went on a 1 day cookery course in Phuket back in early 2000s.  Money well spent!

CalBears

I see no appeal in Berlin. Doing all the majors seems like rich/retired folk sport. I’m neither. I can only dream of a 2:45 marathon. Never expected to run Boston or even a marathon and I said I could quit running when I run the Boston marathon. I think that was 8 years ago.

Scott, you seem like a good guy, but sometimes I think you overdo with drugs . No appeal in Berlin? So, you see more appeal to run your marathons along by soul-less concrete buildings and not near buildings with centuries of history? You don't see any appeal to run through Brandenburg Gate and instead, prefer to cross finish line in the middle of nowhere? I would love to run Tokyo marathon, that would be just so awesome, but the chances to get there are minimal - you can only get there through some tour company paying some crazy money. That's another appeal of Berlin over Tokyo and London - you have a great chance to get there, it's feasible. Even its lottery gives you a great chance. Sub 2:55 might be problematic, but, hey, it will scare Mikkey from even thinking he could beat me in Boston 2022 Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Scott, you seem like a good guy, but sometimes I think you overdo with drugs . No appeal in Berlin? So, you see more appeal to run your marathons along by soul-less concrete buildings and not near buildings with centuries of history? You don't see any appeal to run through Brandenburg Gate and instead, prefer to cross finish line in the middle of nowhere? I would love to run Tokyo marathon, that would be just so awesome, but the chances to get there are minimal - you can only get there through some tour company paying some crazy money. That's another appeal of Berlin over Tokyo and London - you have a great chance to get there, it's feasible. Even its lottery gives you a great chance. Sub 2:55 might be problematic, but, hey, it will scare Mikkey from even thinking he could beat me in Boston 2022 Smile

I looked up this gate. Doesn’t mean anything to me. Some structure that was built by a guy after some war at the start of the road. So pretty much it’s the equivalent of a freeway on ramp or a mile marker post. 

also, it isn’t cheap to fly to Berlin and my family might want to go so it becomes more expensive. As I said. Retired/rich person sport. All to see a mile marker.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

I looked up this gate. Doesn’t mean anything to me. Some structure that was built by a guy after some war at the start of the road. So pretty much it’s the equivalent of a freeway on ramp or a mile marker post. 

also, it isn’t cheap to fly to Berlin and my family might want to go so it becomes more expensive. As I said. Retired/rich person sport. All to see a mile marker.

My goodness man... If you are that cynical in your thirties, it might be very hard for you when you hit 50s and later 

But back to the running discussion. I would love to run all the majors marathons, but not for the sake of saying that I ran them - I just would love to visit those places too. I also would love to visit Australia and run marathon there. I think that's really cool. Or China... That all would be so awesome. Too bad I don't have enough financial reserves for that (retirement years are too close and I didn't do fantastically on the money front). Also, as I said - London and Tokyo are basically out because they are very closed events. That leaves Boston, Berlin, Chicago and New York. Boston and Chicago are done - for Berlin I need to work on sub 2:55 (or wait until I am 60 Smile ), for New York - need to figure out what their new rules are - maybe in 2022 or 2023?

But for now I will be happy with any official marathon I can run - in my are there none yet. That's good to some degree - it gives me more time to train... Just don't take my motivation out - promise that there will be races soon! Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Andres1045

RP - I can't tell if you're for real, or just trying to provoke.

But back to the running discussion. I would love to run all the majors marathons, but not for the sake of saying that I ran them - I just would love to visit those places too. I also would love to visit Australia and run marathon there. I think that's really cool. Or China... That all would be so awesome. Too bad I don't have enough financial reserves for that (retirement years are too close and I didn't do fantastically on the money front). Also, as I said - London and Tokyo are basically out because they are very closed events. That leaves Boston, Berlin, Chicago and New York. Boston and Chicago are done - for Berlin I need to work on sub 2:55 (or wait until I am 60 Smile ), for New York - need to figure out what their new rules are - maybe in 2022 or 2023?

But for now I will be happy with any official marathon I can run - in my are there none yet. That's good to some degree - it gives me more time to train... Just don't take my motivation out - promise that there will be races soon! Smile

I'm with you. I'd like to do marathons in all those places more because they're cool than because they're the majors. I've also always wanted to run the Mexico City marathon. But training for a marathon that's in August has never been super appealing. In Europe, Paris and Madrid are on my list. Any big city in China would be cool. In general, I'm much more drawn towards big city marathons.

Either way, if I can get in to Berlin, I'm in. But it'll have to be a lottery thing, I suppose. I don't see 2:45 happening.

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

By the time a got to Brandenburg Gate I was anxiously looking at my watch and thinking that I need to get a move on....finished in 2:59:58.     That was back in 2012 when you didn’t need to qualify!