2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - I can't tell if you're for real, or just trying to provoke.

100% real. Traveling with a family of 4 to all those countries, on top of continually attempting to qualify isn't exactly affordable in my current situation. Also, that gate where Berlin Marathon starts/ends sounds like it's the equivalent of me going to the start of Route 66 and feeling something.

Mexico City marathon would be tough even for me. The elevation is 7,350. Definitely NOT a PR race. I recall seeing people from sea level coming to 4,500 or even 8,000 for endurance events. They looked miserable. The ones who looked winded standing in line were my favorite.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

100% real. Traveling with a family of 4 to all those countries, on top of continually attempting to qualify isn't exactly affordable in my current situation. Also, that gate where Berlin Marathon starts/ends sounds like it's the equivalent of me going to the start of Route 66 and feeling something.

Mexico City marathon would be tough even for me. The elevation is 7,350. Definitely NOT a PR race. I recall seeing people from sea level coming to 4,500 or even 8,000 for endurance events. They looked miserable. The ones who looked winded standing in line were my favorite.

Ha-ha RP! I just realized the only time I saw and heard you happy were those few weeks after you broke sub 3 at CIM in 2019. After that it went downhill pretty sharp  It's time to get out of that hole man - everything is going to turn out fine, we need to believe it. Last year was pretty hard and life in this country is not easy in any way (of course when you try to be on a level with others), but belief is crucial to sustain our mental health . It's just like running a marathon for a PR - you have to believe in it.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Everything is going to turn out fine, we need to believe it. Last year was pretty hard and life in this country is not easy in any way (of course when you try to be on a level with others), but belief is crucial to sustain our mental health . It's just like running a marathon for a PR - you have to believe in it.

Who are you, and what have you done with Calbears?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ha-ha RP! I just realized the only time I saw and heard you happy were those few weeks after you broke sub 3 at CIM in 2019. After that it went downhill pretty sharp  It's time to get out of that hole man - everything is going to turn out fine, we need to believe it. Last year was pretty hard and life in this country is not easy in any way (of course when you try to be on a level with others), but belief is crucial to sustain our mental health . It's just like running a marathon for a PR - you have to believe in it.

dude i was PUMPED after that race. I had a 5k and a half marathon at home I signed up for. I was going to keep up with training and it just tanked to a point of no return and got worse. I think the only happy things in my life are running and being frustrated about jeep stuff. I've accepted my work life will always provide motivation for running.

dwave It's amazing how humbling it is to have your ass handed to you in a race. lol! It's probably because I made him take a photo together at the finish line. I won't post it because Cal and I look WAAAAAY too happy for our online presence to allow. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

need2tri

As a lurker, I second this .

But great to see you are back at running Cal and trying to maintain positive outlook despite life's challenges.

CalBears

dwave It's amazing how humbling it is to have your ass handed to you in a race. lol! It's probably because I made him take a photo together at the finish line. I won't post it because Cal and I look WAAAAAY too happy for our online presence to allow. 

RP, I hope you are getting proud/pumped up every time you are passing a grandpa on a trail/road... 

As a lurker, I second this .

But great to see you are back at running Cal and trying to maintain positive outlook despite life's challenges.

It's hard to train with a negative thoughts - that's why it needs to be changed. Yeah, 2020 was a tough year, especially, motivationally. But nowhere as hard for me as 2017 when I lost a job and could not find one for awhile - being the only income in the family of 4, in a country where rules are drastically different from my original homeland. 2020 I had a job all the time, my wife was also working, so, with financial stability 2020 was not as hard as 2017. I even found my old track team today and will be running some track workout starting next Tuesday! At least for awhile - because I would love to interact with real people (aside from my family Smile ).

Cal - ... You seem to magically get into sub3 shape by running loads of 9min/miles which obviously works for you!  I just find it impossible to run that slow. 

It's amazing how we often think about other people how they are getting everything easy Smile  (and I am the same way, btw Smile  - I just checked my latest sub 3 marathon training in 2019 - I had full 12 weeks of training using modified Pfitzinger plan, including two tune up races - 6:49 pace in HM 5 weeks out and 6:30 pace in 15K race 2 weeks out. So, I am not sure where you are getting that 9 minutes pace information from?  Yes, most of the recovery runs are at 9+ mpm but it's hard to run 6:50 pace for 26+ miles if you didn't run any runs at that pace in training.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal I DO enjoy passing the elderly walking group on my runs. Other than that I just run with old people.

VDOT 53.37 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

To stay positive just take 5 years off running and put on 70-90 lbs. Then every run makes you way more fit. Easy to see constant progress. 

I'm just going to claim that was the reason I stopped for so long......

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

To stay positive just take 5 years off running and put on 70-90 lbs. Then every run makes you way more fit. Easy to see constant progress. 

I'm just going to claim that was the reason I stopped for so long......

VDOT 53.37 

jhudak55

JT: Checking in to give a belated nice race. I know you were looking for sub 2:50, but based on your RR it looks like you already have a solid plan to take a shot at it this fall.

I haven't run in almost a month. Work picked up a lot at about the same time I started studying for a professional license exam that I had been putting off. After trying to do all three (work, study, run) for a little over a week I realized it was unsustainable for me, so I decided to cut running for a bit. Exam is a week from today so I'll be back to running soon.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Calbears is starting to get pumped up again. I’m liking that.👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Richmond has been postponed again and not because of covid!  Apparently the local authority have delayed reviewing the event application for the marathon to go ahead on public land. I think the organisers are being polite about that....it’s more like the work shy wfh piss takers from the council can’t be bothered keeping up with the paperwork and then blame covid.

The organisers are meeting with the work shy folk next week to see if there’s an alternative date on the table.  I might just crack on with my golf comeback and start training again in July for Brighton/London.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Richmond has been postponed again and not because of covid!  Apparently the local authority have delayed reviewing the event application for the marathon to go ahead on public land. I think the organisers are being polite about that....it’s more like the work shy wfh piss takers from the council can’t be bothered keeping up with the paperwork and then blame covid.=

Ugh - I'm sorry.  How frustrating.

Jhudak - good to hear from you!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Richmond has been postponed again and not because of covid!  Apparently the local authority have delayed reviewing the event application for the marathon to go ahead on public land. I think the organisers are being polite about that....it’s more like the work shy wfh piss takers from the council can’t be bothered keeping up with the paperwork and then blame covid.

The organisers are meeting with the work shy folk next week to see if there’s an alternative date on the table.  I might just crack on with my golf comeback and start training again in July for Brighton/London.

Well... My Chemical Romance postponed their tour in UK which in June, so, of course they postponed some noname race that is in May