2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CalBears

Had a good week, only easy runs but decent mileage finally, few more weeks with consistent mileage and will start adding some quality (yes, Mikkey, it won't be easy for you - I will not be only running 9 mpm pace Smile  :

Mo - 8.22 @8:58

Tu - 8.26 @8:48

We - 8.41 @8:48

Th - 11.29 @8:44

Fr - 11.3 @8:51

Sa - 15.26 @8:44

Su - off

===

Total: 62.7 mi

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well... My Chemical Romance postponed their tour in UK which in June, so, of course they postponed some noname race that is in May 

I was so looking forward to receiving my BADASS BUCK t-shirt. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Had a good week, only easy runs but decent mileage finally, few more weeks with consistent mileage and will start adding some quality (yes, Mikkey, it won't be easy for you - I will not be only running 9 mpm pace Smile  :

You know he's serious when he starts dropping the 8:4x pace runs....  :P

Mikkey - I would be very upset about missing out on those shirts as well.

my week:

57 miles running, 1000 yards swimming, and 3:20 hours pool-running

M: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core
        T: 12 miles, including 7x800m in 3:07, 3:09, 3:09, 3:10, 3:07, 3:07, 3:07, 3:06; recoveries between 2:17-2:20. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
        W: 6.5 miles very easy (9:39) on treadmill, streaming yoga, and 5.5 miles very easy (8:59) plus drills and 4 strides.
        Th: 3.5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:38), 50 minutes pool-running, and streaming yoga.
        F: 9 miles very easy outside (9:00) plus drills and 4 hill strides, upper body weights/core, and 3 miles very easy on treadmill (9:26)
        Sa: 17.5 miles, including a marathon pace workout of 4, 3, 2, 1 miles at marathon effort with 1 mile float. Splits were:
        4 miles in 28:01 (7:07/6:58/7:00/6:56) (mixed headwind/tailwind); 1 mile float in 7:56
        3 miles in 21:00 (6:54/7:02/7:04) (mixed headwind/tailwind)); 1 mile float in 7:59
        2 miles in 13:46 (6:54/6:52) (tailwind); 1 mile float in 7:46
        1 mile in 6:50 (tailwind). Followed with leg strengthwork, 500 yards recovery swimming, and 25 minutes pool-running.
        Su: 75 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.

Just two workouts this week.  Looks like I'm in low 3:00 shape right now - a few more weeks for that to change.    My weekly running mileage is a bit low this week because I did my long run on Saturday and pool-ran on Sunday (instead of Monday).  For similar but opposite reasons next week's mileage will likely be inflated.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

jhudak:  Good luck on your exam!

Cal: Nice to see you back at it!

Mikkey: Too bad about Richmond. I'll take it off the table. That T-shirt does look nice!

DW: Excellent long run!

DPS: How are you feeling for the 10k?

I took 5 days off post-marathon and ran easy the last couple of days. Just planning on easy running for the next couple of weeks, then I'll add some workouts geared towards the 10 mile race at the end of May. I got Pfizer dose #2 Wednesday so I'm all set in that regard.

Looks like Kipchoge is back in top form again; 2:04:30

2:52:16 (2018)

cinnamon girl

JT: what was the total elevation gain in your race? Recover well Smile

Mikkey: there aren't any other races of interest? Funny about that shirt - I just bought 'Kick Ass' coffee this week. I'm a sucker for marketing when it comes to coffee and alcohol.

Last two weeks as I never got around to posting. Continues to be windy as shit - when gusts 35 mph+ I take it to the treadmill

M: 60 min (8:19)
            T: 50 min treadmill
            W: 2 mi (8:12), 7:41, 7:31, 7:20; 7:07, 6:41, 10 min (8:03) 84F
            T: 50 min (8:22)
            F: 2 hr 5 min (8:32)
            S: off
            S: 100 min (8:04) 86F

M: 8 mi (7:52) 88F
            T: 50 min (8:07)
            W: 9 mi (8:12), 2 mi (6:37, 6:22), 2 mi (7:45)
            T: 40 min treadmill
            F: 60 min (8:21)
            S: 6 mi (8:39)
            S: 2 ½ hr (8:19) hilly-ish at 4300 ft

Nap Time!

OMR

calbears:  Good to see you getting back into the swing of things.

Mikkey:  Bummer...that's a nice shirt.

Dwave:  Low 3s doesn't sound too bad, and good luck with the inflation.

cinnamon:  That's a solid 18-miler to cap off those two weeks.

JT:  Congrats on Pfizer #2.  Mine is next Tuesday.  Good to see you easing back into things.

Difficult week for me.  Was supposed to be the peak week of training, but I started having some lower back pain on Wednesday.  Ran through it that day, with a few miles at MP effort, but it was worse on Thursday, and I wound up taking Thursday through Saturday off.  I've had this issue before -- mostly before I started running over a decade ago -- and have never found a quick way out of it, other than to just ride it out.  Got out for 5+ today, and things are mostly OK.  Not sure what I'll do with Lake Wobegon.  Part of me wants to run it just to run it, but I'm in no shape to race it.

Cinnamon: Solid couple of weeks there. You're already getting hot temps! Hot and super windy is a tough combination. I would also go to the treadmill when it's really bad. Gain was 469 ft by my strava for the race; not much but somehow it felt like more.

OMR: I hope the back strain heals up quickly. No shame in running Wobegon as a training run/long run.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cinnamon - nice pair of weeks.

OMR - I'm really sorry to read that.  What the hell - things were going so well, it seemed.  I'm sorry, and I hope it clears up quickly.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Cal: just out there getting it done.

DW: very solid long run.

JT: smart recovery. 10k is Saturday. Feeling good but Sunday (yesterday) was taking car of 2 kids and my wife all with runny noses and vomiting so you knows if/when I'll get it.

Cinnamon: very nice 2 mile tempo on wed. 13 mile with a late tempo can be rough.

OMR: bummer on the back. Lower back and my left knee/ankle have accounted for every time I have stopped running for long periods.

Me. Hammered this week before race this week.

Monday:  11.2 easy at 7:33

Tuesday: Got crushed by this.

10x500m (100m jog)

15-20 mph winds on back stretch, snowing fairly hard, 34°

1:38 1:38 1:38 1:39 1:38
                    1:38 1:39 1:38* 1:40 1:38

*(I hit it early wiping my nose by accident)

This was very hard. Everything after 6 was ran by going to the well. Ran in non carbon flats (new balance rebel v1). Had a mental toughness issue on 9. Finished up 10 and was wiped. Had to stand* for a 2-3 min before cool down.

*lie down

8.34 miles total

Second run 5.12 @7:48

Wednesday: 9/6 double both around 7:40 pace and felt tired AF

Thursday: 9.1miles  7:40 pace. Still felt tired

Friday: 1600 (800 jog) 1200 (600) 800 (400) 400 (200) 400

Goal
                    5:20 3:52 2:30 72 72
                    Actual
                    5:19.9 3:54.5 2:32.3 72.5 72.1

1200 was just poor pacing got out hot then slowed too much.
                    800 was rough last 200m
                    400s felt hard but easier than the 800

Finally took out my new balance RC Elite (carbon shoes).  This was hard but felt better on cool down. Those carbon plates make a big difference.

Saturday: ran too fast on group run. 11.76 miles at 7:11 average

Sunday: taking care if sick family. Didn't get out til 8:30 pm.

18 miles started slow and worked down to sub 7 pace. Not a super smooth progression, but was just tired (sleepy) but legs felt fine. Pace pick up was mostly just wanting to be done and to go to bed.

87 and change miles with really good quality. Oof

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DPS - ridiculous workouts.  Very impressive.  Good luck this weekend (fingers crossed you don't pick up anything)

OMR

JT, Dwave, dps:  Thanks.  I've been sitting a ton lately (grading as we approach the end of the semester), and when the back issue has happened in the past, it has usually been following long periods of sitting (long car rides, flights, etc.).  Dwave, I'm still happy with the way things are going, and am looking forward to the end of next week, which is when our semester comes to a close and this ridiculous academic year comes to a close.  Just a minor and temporary setback...hoping to ramp things up another few notches in May.

dps:  Quite the week there.  Curious to see how the race goes this weekend.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'd like to note today was the day Cal and Mikkey were to resolve the question of who is the stronger runner. The weather looked interesting: upper 50's, winds out of the west but switching to the east. Not an A+ day, but certainly a good day for racing in Boston (tomorrow is mid 70s).

Hopefully we will see this battle in 2022!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

I'd like to note today was the day Cal and Mikkey were to resolve the question of who is the stronger runner. The weather looked interesting: upper 50's, winds out of the west but switching to the east. Not an A+ day, but certainly a good day for racing in Boston (tomorrow is mid 70s).

I am completely and utterly offended - there was a question who is a stronger runner? I am just a nice person - so, I agreed to run with Mikkey to give him a purpose in his pretty uneventful life. Smile I didn't think there was a question of him be a stronger walker/runner (Galloway style) 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I couldn’t give a shit about the course or weather on the day.  We’ll see what happens next year. 👍

Cinnamon - Great looking week and I like that you alternate between time and distance on your weeklies!  I’m going to wait and see what happens regarding Richmond as I still want to run it just for the experience even if it’s rescheduled as late as July.  Have you got any races planned?

OMR - Damn, I’m sorry to hear about the back issue and hope you’ll be ok this weekend. 🙏

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Well shit.  The city made them change the course even more due to predicted unrest (I live in Minneapolis where Chauvin is being tried for murder and just south of Brooklyn center and north of Burnsville where the cops also killed people in those cities) The course is now 5.5ish miles.  So it will be a race, but nothing i can actually really pace.  Obviously police actions are the bigger issue, but fuck can the police around me stop killing people for a fucking week? Jesus.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k