2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JT: January 20...agreed that it can’t come soon enough.  

Heh - running related - the National Guard is apparently getting deployed here in a major way (no complaint here), which almost certainly means that they'll be using my favorite pancake flat no intersections 3 mile running loop as one of their staging areas.  Which means that area will be off limits for me for the next 1-2 weeks.  Oh well.  They've closed down that area for staging before, so not like this is the first time I've had to reroute.

Ian - welcome - I hope you get a good shot at sub-3.

Otter - welcome back!  (There's a "Welcome Back (K)otter" joke in there)

OMR - interesting elliptical workout.  I will be fascinated to see how that translates.

Marby - funny on the corpse pose taper.  For me, I've found that I'm generally much better off with a very slow shuffle jog for a few miles.  For marathons, I'll take a full day off, but that's usually my travel day 2-3 days before the race.

(I'm not sure what sounds odder - the heat or returning to the office full time!)

JTReeves - interesting observation about how you felt lousy and wished you had stuck to the roads on Saturday for a long run instead?  What would be the reasoning behind swapping one for the other?  I'm not challenging - honestly curious.

My week:

53 miles, 1000 yards swimming, and 2:30 hours of pool-running
    M: 50 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
    T: 7 miles easy outside (9:13) plus drills and strides, then upper body weights/core and 5 miles easy on the treadmill (9:02).
    W: 12 miles on the treadmill, including a workout of 7x1K with 80-90 seconds jog in between. Splits were supposedly 3:55, 3:53, 3:49, 3:44, 3:44, 3:42, and 3:41 (I suspect my sensor was reading too fast for the last couple). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
    Th: 50 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
    F: 8 miles easy outside (9:07) plus drills and strides, then upper body weights/core and 4 miles easy on the treadmill (8:51)
    Sa: 17 miles, including a workout of 4/3/2/1 miles at marathon effort with 1 mile float in between. Paces were 6:56 for 4 miles, 6:51 for 3 miles, 6:42 for 2 miles, and 6:31 for the last mile. 1 mile float in between in 7:29, 7:40, and 7:35 (the 2 and 1 mile segments had a tailwind). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming. .
    Su: 50 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.

Switched long acting asthma meds this week.  Essentially the asthma controller medication that my doctor always wanted me on - Breo - used to be on WADA's prohibited list, so I couldn't take it and had to take Advair instead.  But...as of January 1, 2021 Breo is off of the banned list and legal for use so I swapped.  Perhaps that was behind the good run on Saturday?

It was nice to have a good long run in what was otherwise a lousy week.  Made me feel a bit more optimistic about a March marathon.

I'm trying to figure out how to structure my upcoming week.  Things are likely going to be messy around here starting this upcoming weekend so I'm seriously considering doing my next long run on Friday morning before work.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marby

Ash

Ian – My PF lingered for AGES but didn’t restrict much, tried all sorts but it just went away when it was ready.

JTR – Even though the track felt lousy you still got it done. Tick.  My weight loss is going okay so far, down 10 kilo in 10 weeks and only another 8 kilo to get to race weight.

Dwave – Good looking workouts (the 7x1 don’t seem lousy to me) and solid all round. Hopefully the situation is less turbulent than last week and you get to run when/where you want.

I had an asthma flare up a few months back and have been on an ICS/LABA since mid Nov. I go back to my lung guy next week and hopefully get to come off it (grass pollen season is over and we reckon that could have triggered it).  I didn’t even think about whether it was prohibited or not until your post, turns out all good except in competition.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

DW: Nice week with a great long run. It's good to hear the National Guard is getting activated. You always have Fluffy in case you need to stay inside. As far as my workout yesterday, I wanted to do a speed workout at the track since I had missed doing it earlier in the week, but the legs just did not feel like running fast. It was almost like my body was ready to do what it always does on Sundays, a long run, but was jarred into speedwork instead and was not happy about it.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

quick drop and go

50 miles this week. all easy. Long run of 10.75. Morning runs worked  and other than one run not going according to plan it was all good. I cut one run short because I was feeling woozey and while my legs weren't tired, I jog/walked home and lived to run another day. I think it was a sugar crash.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Marby:  I had to google Maribyrnong River.  Good to see the frequency bumping up a day, and a solid LR.

Ian:  I've been lucky (knock on wood) and haven't had to deal with PF, but 7 miles for your first run of the week seems like a good start.

JT:  You must be getting some of the wind we normally get but haven't had as of late.  We've had a pretty mild winter so far, but that usually means someone else is getting the bad stuff.  Good for you for getting through the workout even if it wasn't your day.  I sometimes think those are the most beneficial.

Dwave:  I thought I was the only one old enough to remember Welcome Back, Kotter.  ;-)  The hill workout simulation was interesting, as was today's.  The actual workout (today) called for 3 x 10sec strides before running up the hill, then recovering on the jog down, and doing three more strides before the next uphill.  I programmed it all on my Garmin so I could just listen for the beeps and change gears accordingly.  Was supposed to do 8-10, made it through five before my legs were shot.  I do my easy run outside first, and to be honest, my legs were tired during the easy run, so I wasn't surprised to not get through 8 repeats.  The next hill workout calls for strides at both the top and bottom of the hill, so we'll see how that goes.  Anyhow, curious to see if you do consistently better with Breo, and I hope things don't get out of hand there in the upcoming days.  2.5 hours of pool running...that's impressive (not to mention the rest of your week).

RP:  That's nice comeback weekly mileage.  I hate those sugar crashes.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I consider it prime ultra marathon training. I’ve also realized the 1. Old walks I do daily add up, work muscles that I don’t work running, and could build a good walking base on tired legs should I ever run western states.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Quick drop-off. Had a solid week, though I did have to switch a recovery and regular easy run around thanks to me turning my alarm off one morning without realizing it.

Weekly for period: From: 01/04/2021 To 01/10/2021

Date Name Distance
                in mi
                Duration Avg Pace
                per mi
                Elevation Gain
                in ft
                01/04/2021 3 deer (3 strides) & 1 owl 9.65 01:25:25 08:51 367
                01/05/2021 2 owls & 1 hawk 10.05 01:25:41 08:32 495
                01/06/2021 5x 4min CP (1 min recovery) + 4x 3 min (3 minute recovery) 11.05 01:21:29 07:22 272
                01/07/2021 Should have worn gloves - Richmond 9.06 01:13:30 08:07 0
                01/08/2021 I have zero recall of turning off my alarm this morning - NYC 4.05 00:33:27 08:16 0
                01/09/2021 13 deer (13 strides), 6 hawks, 3 owls, & 1 rabbit 16.11 02:11:49 08:11 768
                01/10/2021 6 deer (6 strides), 2 herons, & 1 owl 10.10 01:24:32 08:22 390

Total distance: 70.07mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

pepperjack

pie man

I met a guy about a year and half ago doing one of Max's crazy races that he finds--Euchre Bar Massacre.  He went missing on Xmas eve (coincidentally I was down in Berkeley later that day doing my annual trip down Barcroft for Blue Wave Dave as part of a virtual race).  There had been a bit of search ongoing in case he was off doing some grand adventure run, but they found his body yesterday.

https://evilleeye.com/news-commentary/body-found-near-bay-bridge-identified-as-missing-emeryville-man/

11:11 3,000 (recent)

weatherboy80

Welcome or welcome back to Ian and Otter!  Hope the PF behaves itself Ian.

JT: nice job on the workout even when not feeling fresh!  Looks like a solid overall week given the weather/wind conditions you had to face.

Mabry: great looking LR!

DW: Great looking week with nice looking 7x1K workout in there!

CK: Looks like a well balanced week with workouts, LR, and pace variation to me!

First week I've included 2 quality days probably in a few weeks.  First one was essentially 16x400 on the track alternating after every 4th rep between 5k-3k pace and 1 mile pace.  Last 4 really hurt and was also the first time I've been on the track in minimal race flats so the legs felt that one afterwards.  Second workout was just 2 days later where I also hit the track to do a straight up tempo of just about 4 miles.  This was also on the track so the pacing was a bit of an overestimate.   As I stated last week my planned half in Orlando for early March was canceled so I need to alter my plans a bit.  Current thinking is to focus on some 5k's and perhaps a few 10ks this spring with the potential of a half sometime later. Therefore will be spending a bit more time at the track working on the shorter stuff for the time being.

Weekly for period: From: 01/04/2021 To 01/10/2021

Date Name Distance
                    in mi
                    Duration Avg Pace
                    per mi
                    Elevation Gain
                    in ft
                    01/04/2021 I think Bambi was running somewhere offshore 11.21 01:32:48 08:17 568
                    01/04/2021 Afternoon Run 4.11 00:31:47 07:44 20
                    01/05/2021 Morning Run 10.21 01:20:22 07:52 7
                    01/06/2021 EZ + adding back in strides 11.12 01:31:09 08:12 62
                    01/07/2021 Warm up 3.22 00:26:12 08:08 16
                    01/07/2021 4 x (4 x 400): alternating 5K and 1 mile'ish pace between sets 6.81 00:43:45 06:25 62
                    01/07/2021 Cool down 2.21 00:18:24 08:20 7
                    01/08/2021 That workout hurt yesterday 🤣 6.21 00:51:12 08:15 3
                    01/09/2021 Warm up 4.42 00:36:20 08:13 92
                    01/09/2021 23 min tempo’ish 💨💨💨 4.20 00:22:59 05:28 141
                    01/09/2021 Cool down 4.51 00:37:02 08:13 72
                    01/10/2021 Lunch Run 8.25 01:05:08 07:54 79

Total distance: 76.46mi

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I met a guy about a year and half ago doing one of Max's crazy races that he finds--Euchre Bar Massacre.  He went missing on Xmas eve (coincidentally I was down in Berkeley later that day doing my annual trip down Barcroft for Blue Wave Dave as part of a virtual race).  There had been a bit of search ongoing in case he was off doing some grand adventure run, but they found his body yesterday.

https://evilleeye.com/news-commentary/body-found-near-bay-bridge-identified-as-missing-emeryville-man/

The challenges of the top tier human beings is just crazy to me. this reminds me of hearing how some of the best 100 mile runners picked that distance because they had never failed at anything.

weather I'm only hoping for the local 5k at St. Patricks Day this year. I expect a repeat of 2020 until June when people get outside more and COVID 19 numbers lower (again) before any organization can think of putting on a race. I feel sorry for them as they watch ski resorts opening at 25% capacity and they're told the city won't issue a permit for 250 people which is within the Governor's COVID 19 limit for public gatherings. One organizer pretty much told me they aren't even going to try to put a race on because they doubt they will get permits. I think everyone is the same way. Pisses me off when my friend can tell me skiing is socially distant after he said he can't get a haircut without a mask, and his son's ski team is so safe because 'we know so much more about transmission" yet he's the one who has had more than one COVID 19 scare, and violates as many of the Governor's orders as possible. "yeah, I want your activity shut down because I can't enjoy mine because people like you say your activity is safe and mine isn't." Same guy tells me restaurants aren't save because air transmission and he knows someone who got it from eating pizza, then says "well no....they weren't covering their face between bites." which is a mandate. I might as well cross state lines and run the marathon in Eugene in April at this point. It's safer up there.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

I deferred my Eugene until next year cause I wasn't optimistic about it happening this year.  Also i'm in shit shape.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Laura

Little late into the week but here!

Last week was good - A hair under 40 miles, should have been a few more but ended up with rest day Saturday (just got busy with work, momming, and then glued to Football (GO BILLS), at least I'm being honest LOL).

M: 4 @ 8:17 + ~1 hour total of strength and core work

T: 2 x 1 T, 4 x 1 min I - felt like garbaggggeeeee but still hit paces so there is that.

W: 3.3 Recoveru @ 9:12 + 35ish min total of strength

R: 4 @8:21 + 20 min core work

F: 7 w/3 @ MP (7:10ish right now) - Mill, felt good

S: Unplanned rest

S: 12+ @ 8:37 Long hilly with a friend (all 700+ feet gain were within just a few of the miles, rest was flat or down)

Comeback takes time but feeling good about it, adding in the strength work really helps me so trying to stick to that.

I'm actually going to run a 5k TT this weekend solo on the track just to get a baseline (we really have no idea where I am at right now after mostly a year of very minimal running + coming back from 6 weeks off for ankle injury), should be interesting. I'm taking the USATF Level 1 Coaching course this weekend which is like 30+ hours of zoom so the 5k will help blow off some energy from being locked in my home office for so long. Also signed up for a in person half marathon on March 20th (Syracuse, NY) so really excited about that. I know I'll be nowhere near PR shape but gives me something to work towards, and well...a LIVE RACE sounds stupid exciting right now.

OMR- Really consistent week of miles, the hill simulation/resistance on the elliptical will definitely be beneficial especially without the pounding on the joints that normal hill repeats give you.

Marby - nice that you can commute from work to home! How is the transition back to office going? I have a few athletes I coach that were thrown into whirlwind all of a sudden when going back to office and needing to factor commute times into days again/get up and run at different times after being home and more flexible on schedule for so long!

JT- good week all around, even if didn't feel awesome for the workout (still solid paces..) - Was going to ask why you swapped then saw your reply to DW, it's funny how somethings feel so engrained in us mentally and physically that a shift like that would feel so off - but at the same time makes sense. Especially when it's been "the way" for so long.

DW: Nice week and killer LR with those progressive MP miles - like that one! Interesting that Breo was taken off the WADA list - I hadn't taken the time to look at the changes yet. I'm always intrigued because sometimes feels like no rhyme or reason why something is added and/or removed and not another. I'm glad the NG is coming to town, but even with that (and the closures) can definitely see how that might impact running around there/moving things around.

RP: solid week of miles even with the 1 'crash', and sounds weird to say on a running forum but walking is SO good for you. Especially on a comeback from time off, injury or whatever. But even still it's active recovery and like you said works things a little different than running.

Commander: Nice 70 mile week, I'm not a morning person so I regularly have that problem with my alarm (then my toddler alarm wakes me up if I miss the electronic one)

Weather: Not shabby at all for not having done 2 QS in a week in a while or been to the track in flats (my calves hurt thinking about that). Speedy tempo on Saturday, you were just warming up your heart for the interval work that is watching the Bills in the playoffs - whew, that took years off of my life and not sure this weekend will be any less stressful (but also exciting!). I'm supposed to meet a friend for a 6:30 Long hilly run this coming Sunday after watching the Bills Saturday night, piss poor planning and will be low on sleep but will hopefully be a celebratory run!

Pre-Baby PR's (all from 2015): 5k: 18:46  10k: 38:37 HM: 1:24:51 FM: 2:58:13

Postpartum PR's: 5k: 18:18 (2018)  HM: 1:21:14 (2019) FM: 2:57:02 (2019)

Next Up: Unsure - but most likely some solo TT's

{Strava}{IG}

Thank you JT.  I don't know if you have run Hartford before?  I have numerous friends that have and they all liked it.  I have never been able to as we have a XC invite not far from there on the same day or I would be tempted.

Awesome Marby!  Let's do this together!

Darkwave - Your comment reminded me of something funny.  I had a 4x400 squad a few years ago that I coached at a very small high school and it was nationally ranked.  They got themselves in a lot of trouble at school though so I called them the "sweat hogs" from the show.  When they found out what that was they really got into it.  From what I know they still refer to their group with that name.

I got on the treadmill tonight.  Right in the middle of picking it up my hand knocked the magnet attached to the safety cord so it stopped.  I got it going again and my other hand a couple of miles later hit the stop button.  I gave up and started a cool down walk, closed my eyes (bad idea) and my heal hit the table behind the treadmill and knocked the lamp off of that.  I'm going to try to forget what happened but it's funny.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Otter sounds like you learned how to restart the treadmill a few times. I remember wearing the safety stop thing on treadmills and unwinding them at gyms. Seemed like no one ever wore them and I always told myself "I'm not going to be the guy you see flying off the treadmill if I wear this." Is the table okay from where you kicked it?

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Otter sounds like you learned how to restart the treadmill a few times. I remember wearing the safety stop thing on treadmills and unwinding them at gyms. Seemed like no one ever wore them and I always told myself "I'm not going to be the guy you see flying off the treadmill if I wear this." Is the table okay from where you kicked it?

I think the idea is that if you attach the safety clip stop then you won’t fly off the machine!  I’ve never seen anyone use them at my gym - maybe because it just looks uncool?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)