2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I would guess we should know who gets in next week. Also, I know two people, previous participants of this forum who will definitely get into Boston and they both running Chicago on October 10th and then fly to Boston for October 11th race Smile. I would face a similar choice if I not selected money back last year for Chicago, when the race was cancelled. The good thing about this for me (as I am trying to always find something good in anything, right JMac? Smile ) is that I will probably beat both of those, any other day faster than me runners, in Boston and then will give them a hard time about that after the race 

I think a ‘Chicago 2 Boston’ would be a unique experience. Wish I had the chance to find out.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

I think a ‘Chicago 2 Boston’ would be a unique experience. Wish I had the chance to find out.

I know Chicago 2 Boston would be a waste for me. One of the races, I would definitely say, the second one, would not be a race. And I would not o that in no circumstances - I just would never just cruise a race, not giving it all the effort I have. I remember in 2012 I was not able to run Boston (we just moved to California and were in a process of finding a place to live, a job, etc) and that year's Boston was extremely hot - and very many runners declared days before that they will not race it. I understand their motives, no problem - it just I would never do that, I would still race it. Maybe it is stupid, but I would feel more stupid just walking and smiling. In this case, Chicago 2 Boston, guys just kind of forced to do that - nobody expected Boston 2021 would move to basically the same date as deferred 2020 Chicago race. So, I guess they still don't want to miss one of the races. I would probably just chose one (even if it's losing money, actually I would not lose it because I would not spend money to fly to one of the destinations and hotel expenses). Anyway, that's my take - I understand that we all different - in all senses of this word.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - a bit off topic, but I thought about you today as a car almost hit me. Have you had any lingering effects from your accident? Obviously running is okay but just curious how you're doing.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

I know Chicago 2 Boston would be a waste for me. One of the races, I would definitely say, the second one, would not be a race. And I would not o that in no circumstances - I just would never just cruise a race, not giving it all the effort I have. I remember in 2012 I was not able to run Boston (we just moved to California and were in a process of finding a place to live, a job, etc) and that year's Boston was extremely hot - and very many runners declared days before that they will not race it. I understand their motives, no problem - it just I would never do that, I would still race it. Maybe it is stupid, but I would feel more stupid just walking and smiling. In this case, Chicago 2 Boston, guys just kind of forced to do that - nobody expected Boston 2021 would move to basically the same date as deferred 2020 Chicago race. So, I guess they still don't want to miss one of the races. I would probably just chose one (even if it's losing money, actually I would not lose it because I would not spend money to fly to one of the destinations and hotel expenses). Anyway, that's my take - I understand that we all different - in all senses of this word.

I wouldn't be any good at it, but I could see setting up a competition where you're "racing" both. Neither could obviously be all out, but you could do something like see who has the fastest slow race plus the delta. So if you ran 3 flat for the first, and 3:05 for the second, your time would be a 3:10. Try to get you to race them both as fast as you can, spreading out the effort over two days.

I actually think you'd be really good at that kind of competition, Cal.

Upcoming races: Boston

CalBears

I wouldn't be any good at it, but I could see setting up a competition where you're "racing" both. Neither could obviously be all out, but you could do something like see who has the fastest slow race plus the delta. So if you ran 3 flat for the first, and 3:05 for the second, your time would be a 3:10. Try to get you to race them both as fast as you can, spreading out the effort over two days.

I actually think you'd be really good at that kind of competition, Cal.

Ha-ha - when you put it this way, it sounds much more interesting and compelling Smile. Kind of what we were discussing with JMac - you can always find some goals in any kind of situation. We might think about such a situation with two marathons in two days - maybe there are interesting scenarios of close by races on Saturday and Sunday - we should share such information here - who knows, we might have some people doing that.

As the math goes, just to confirm, you are suggesting - if one race ran at 3:10, and the second one is at 3:25, then the final time is 3:40? If so, why such criteria? To favor more even two days racing? Instead of say 2:55 and 3:30, right? Where the final time would be whopping 4:05?

Andres1045

As the math goes, just to confirm, you are suggesting - if one race ran at 3:10, and the second one is at 3:25, then the final time is 3:40? If so, why such criteria? To favor more even two days racing? Instead of say 2:55 and 3:30, right? Where the final time would be whopping 4:05?

Exactly. My thought was to try to encourage putting even, hard effort in both races. Instead of the scenario you discussed where one is all out and the next is chill. But maybe there is a better way?

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I would just keep it simple and go with aggregate which would encourage the same thing and you decide how aggressive to run the first race. You could have an overnight lead of say 10min, but it could all go pear shaped the next day.   (assuming fitness is similar)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I suspect I started training this week - usually that when I do any kind of speedier workouts. This week I decided to join my running club on Tuesday and ran whatever was on the "menu" that day. And it was 12x400 - because I didn't do speed for ages, I was not running for time, just tried to run at hard effort. It was fun, but next two days I predictably had consequences - my calf were extremely sore and I could not even touch them. As a result - just 2 very slow miles on Wed and no running on Thursday. But, in general it was not bad week - another consistent 50+ mileage week, moving in a right direction.

Mo - 10.25 @9:20

Tu - 7:51 @7:52 (12x400 @~5:50-6:00 pace)

We - 2.03 @10:40 (sore calfs)

Th - 0

Fr - 11.26 @8:21

Sa - 8.23 @9:04

Su - 15.3 @8:36

===

Total: 54.6 mi

I decided to use Brad Hudson's 18 weeks plan as template, do not think will follow it to the T, but as a recommendation.

Mikkey - btw, kayry is running London this year, got in via Marathon Tour.

cinnamon girl

dps: how did Get in Gear go? How much fun were the stairs? 

M: 50 min (815)
                    T: 60 min (806)
                    W: off
                    T: 12 mi (753)
                    F: 40 min (840)
                    S: 3 mi (814), 3 mi (638, 638, 632), 3 mi (758)
                    S: 2 hr hilly-ish (8:25)

Cal: Nice that you have a running club to train with. That is a solid speed session, especially since the first on in a while. Sounds like you had the "good" kind of soreness, from the body improving and rebuilding as opposed to the bad kind from injury. Definitely moving in the right direction!

Cinnamon: You posted your week right as I was writing mine I guess! Another strong week from you.

My week was nice with all easy runs, just enjoying the weather and being outside this time of year. I saw two minks (is that the plural of mink??) one morning. They were very cute; kind of like smaller versions of otters. Unfortunately I did not have my phone to take a picture.

Weekly for period: From: 04/19/2021 To 04/25/2021

Date Name Distance
                      in mi
                      Duration Avg Pace
                      per mi
                      Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      Mon Morning Run 6.01 50:08 8:20 381
                      Tue Morning Run 7.02 57:32 8:12 410
                      Wed Morning Run 8.02 1:04:21 8:01 456
                      Thu Morning Run 8.02 1:06:53 8:20 446
                      Fri Morning Run 10.05 1:22:33 8:13 551
                      Sat Morning Run 12.47 1:45:24 8:27 1319
                      Sun Lunch Run: trails and woods 7.41 1:11:05 9:36 778

Total distance: 59.02 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

cinnamon girl

Hi JT! It's nice once recovery is over and you can just relax and get back to enjoying running. Everything seem to be in working order I assume? No spots or such?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - btw, kayry is running London this year, got in via Marathon Tour.

I remember him from RW and that’s great that he’s running it as he’s hardcore and will smash it. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - a bit off topic, but I thought about you today as a car almost hit me. Have you had any lingering effects from your accident? Obviously running is okay but just curious how you're doing.

!!!  I'm glad you're OK, and it wasn't worse.

Thanks for asking.  Physically, I was back to normal about 8 weeks or so after.  It was just a matter of getting the shoulder to work right again.  Mentally, I'll admit I'm still working through it.  Anything moving fast and close to me is stressful, be it a car on the road while I'm on the sidewalk, a bike getting too close, or even a runner passing me.  I understand none of those sound like they should be scary, but I guess that's how these things work.  Just gotta keep working at it.  Covid was actually quite helpful - all that social distancing was relaxing.

Financially, I got a bill from the ER in January of this year for $1200.  No explanation of what they were charging me for - just the date and the ER name.  And yes, that was a full 14 months after the event....  So we're still working that one out.  I've already settled with the guy who hit me, so that bill is out of my pocket.

I was actually thinking about it on my run this morning.  One of my regular training routes is Hains Point in DC, and two people were killed there by a hit-and-run driver yesterday morning.  Very sobering.

I suspect I started training this week - usually that when I do any kind of speedier workouts. This week I decided to join my running club on Tuesday and ran whatever was on the "menu" that day. And it was 12x400 - because I didn't do speed for ages, I was not running for time, just tried to run at hard effort. It was fun, but next two days I predictably had consequences - my calf were extremely sore and I could not even touch them. As a result - just 2 very slow miles on Wed and no running on Thursday. But, in general it was not bad week - another consistent 50+ mileage week, moving in a right direction.

Whelp, we know Calbears  is taking the gloves off when he adds in the speedwork.

Another good week for you CinnamonJTReeves - good to see you back at it.  I will confess - I would not recognize a mink if I saw one (even if I had my glasses on, which I don't when I run).

Regarding the back-to-back marathon competition thing....I think one of the unique challenges is that running a slow marathon doesn't take that much less out of you than a fast one.  I've known several friends who intentionally ran a marathon at about 20 minutes slower than what they were capable of.  They were not in great shape the next day.  One commented that she was not expecting it to take that much out of her.

My week:

78 miles running, 1500 yards swimming, and 70 minutes pool-running

M: 9 miles very easy (9:10) with drills and 6 hill sprints and upper body weights/core
                            T: 13 miles, including 2x(1200, 400) in 4:36, 89, 4:33, 87. ~2:40 recovery after 1200s, 1:40 recovery after 400s. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                            W: 8 miles very easy (9:05), drills and 2 strides, streaming yoga, and 4 miles very easy on treadmill (9:20) plus drills and 4 strides.
                            Th: 3.5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:46), 50 minutes pool-running, and upperbody weights/core.
                            F: 12 miles, including a 4 mile tempo in 26:49 (6:48/6:41/6:41/6:39). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                            Sa: 11 miles very easy (9:05) plus drills and 6 hill sprints, followed by streaming yoga.
                            Su: 16 miles progressive, split as first 5 miles averaging 9:01, next 4 miles averaging 7:44, next 7 miles averaging 6:56, plus a 1.5 mile cooldown. Followed with leg strengthwork, 500 yards recovery swimming, and 20 minutes pool-running.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Hi JT! It's nice once recovery is over and you can just relax and get back to enjoying running. Everything seem to be in working order I assume? No spots or such?

All good, no injuries. Just a few pounds of fat from the week off and indulging in Taco Bell a bit too much 

DW: I'm simul-posting a lot today. Strong week from you. What are you thinking is possible at Grandma's if (a big if...) the weather is good?

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

All good, no injuries. Just a few pounds of fat from the week off and indulging in Taco Bell a bit too much 

DW: I'm simul-posting a lot today. Strong week from you. What are you thinking is possible at Grandma's if (a big if...) the weather is good?

Sub-3:05 I think is reasonable.  I don't think sub-3 is in the cards this go around.  But...given that I haven't run a marathon since November 2019, my primary goal is a good training cycle and a solid race that I can build on for Indy in the fall.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.