2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

OMR

Good weeks JT, cinnamon, Dwavecalbears, I think if I jumped into speed work like that, my legs would fall off.

dps:  Curious to know how things went for you.

Dwave:  Sorry to hear about the lingering mental aspects of the run-in with the car.  In a very different way, I'm dealing with similar things.  Also, seeing your 78-mile week makes me wonder what your highest weekly mileage has been to date?  That Friday-Sunday mileage is impressive, especially with the workouts and the extra stuff.

My week...was still dealing with some back stiffness/pain for the first part of the week, but things improved in the second half...

S:  5.8M @ 7:48

M:  Rest

T:  7.1M @ 7:57

W:  7.5M w/2 x 1600m Tempo, 2 x 200m hard

T:  6.8M @ 8:12

F:  7.2M @ 8:26

S:  12M @ 8:15

Total:  46.4M

Running Problem

Problem Child

Exactly. My thought was to try to encourage putting even, hard effort in both races. Instead of the scenario you discussed where one is all out and the next is chill. But maybe there is a better way?

total time? Would that be the same as adding the delta though? 2:55 and 3:30 makes a 6:25 which might be less challenging than a 3:15 on both days.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Woo...lots of logs to catch up on. Just got the kids to bed and i'm ready to crash.

Monday 9 miles easy (7:36)

Tueday: Intervals

4x400@ 80sec (300 jog)

800 jog

1k @ 3:20

800 jog

4x200m 34 sec 200 jog

Actual80 80 80 80 78

3:17

35 36 34 34

Wed: was supposed to be a 9/5 double but kids were sick all week and i had them at home all week so I didn't run til 7:30 pm and went 12 miles

Thursday 8 miles

Friday 6 miles

Saturday: Go there an hour before.  Parked and stood in line for packed pick up and didn't get it until 10 min before the race.  Sprinted to car and changed shoes and out of warm up gear.  Ran 400m to start and started 2 min later with no warm up.

First to miles i ran 5:20 as was the plan but actually was just loosening up my legs.  I was going to go sub 5:20 for the rest.  Mile 3 had to hills (1 bridge and 1 hill) and also included running down 3 flights of spiral stairs.  My plan was to run past the stairs and down an on ramp,.  I would have added some distance, but i thought it much safer than risking an ankle.  But they had someone there to make us run teh stairs.  Ran a 5:43 or so mile.  Then a 5:17 for mile 4 as my legs were finally loose.  I was a 150 m back from lead pack and had a group drafting off me.  I ended up just racing it cause I wasn't going to let someone draft 4 miles off me then out kick me.  so 5:31 for 5th mile and then I ran a 5:30ish pace for last 1/2 mile which was all up hill except the last 50m which dropped all my drafters.  Without a warm up, it was pretty rough going.  I felt by the end as i had loosed up i could have easily kept running 5:30s for a few more miles.  It was a good effort and fund to race but frustrating that they didn't have enough staff knowing that had a few hundred people picking up bibs and packets and only 4 epole dealing with it.  Normally this is a super well run event, but first race out of covid it is what it is.  Fun day.  Let me know i am certainly fit.  did a 3 mile cool down.  I knew it was short and the stairs going in (well 3 days before any way when they sent the info).  So that was expected. but not getting a proper warm up and ready to race i didn't plan on.

Ran a 5 and change shake out later that night.

Sunday  18 miles more or less very even at 7:06 pace plus or minus a few seconds.  Legs felt fine like i hadn't done anyting but an easy run yesterday.

76 and change on the day.

Probably a few typos, but my son is calling me from his room.  I'll catch up tomorrow.  Ended up 6th or 7th? after a few fast guys mist the start and ran in the second wave with good times.  When i finished i was in 5th in my wave.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I have used one of his plans.  Lots of strength running and hills which for a mileage guy like you (at times) i think it will work well for you.

I decided to use Brad Hudson's 18 weeks plan as template, do not think will follow it to the T, but as a recommendation.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

JT: when the weather breaks it is great to just enjoy the runs.

Cinnamon:  Solid 3 mile tempo in there.  The stairs were slick and i had one person just a head of me which really me down cause he was taking every step.  I can usually run down stairs 2 at a time.  It was also 3 flights in a spiral...so all in all...i'm not injured...so there is that.

DW: I am always amazed at your ability to get in all the cross training.  FYI I think grandma's may be warm this year as we have been consistently mild/warm every early this year.  If we are mostly in the 60-70's next week as we look to be, it may be pretty warm (mid 60's) at the start of the race.  So catch an early bus if you can.  Weather isn't climate and all....but I seems like we are really gearing up for a hot year.

OMR: How did those 200's feel?  When i have them they are fine....but my cool downs mysteriously slow by 20-30 seconds per mile on workouts that end with them.  Oof.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

total time? Would that be the same as adding the delta though? 2:55 and 3:30 makes a 6:25 which might be less challenging than a 3:15 on both days.

If I was in PR shape I think 2x3:15s would be easier!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

OMR

OMR: How did those 200's feel?  When i have them they are fine....but my cool downs mysteriously slow by 20-30 seconds per mile on workouts that end with them.  Oof.

Everything felt a little off last week, so they were more sluggish than usual.  But yeah, the cool down definitely is slower after doing them.  Three flights of spiral stairs?  Ugh.  Nice work, though, especially when you can’t get in a proper warmup due to logistics that weren’t in your control.  Don’t know how cold it was for you, but here, ice on the stairs might have been a concern.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dwave:  Sorry to hear about the lingering mental aspects of the run-in with the car.  In a very different way, I'm dealing with similar things.  Also, seeing your 78-mile week makes me wonder what your highest weekly mileage has been to date?  That Friday-Sunday mileage is impressive, especially with the workouts and the extra stuff.

OMR - thanks.  Sorry that you have been dealing with similar - I guess it's one foot at time, y'know?  I hope things improve for you - I'm assuming that some of it may be related to the tough work situation you've been in for some time now.

Highest weekly mileage was many years ago, when I was younger and focused too much on mileage (and also ran 7 days a week)  I don't think I ever cracked 100 miles, but I had several 90+ mile weeks about 10 years ago.   My PRs were also much slower then also....I suspect the two were related.

DLS - that race sounds ridiculous.  At least you know you're fit and have a good story.  And why, if they have a ramp, wouldn't they just make the ramp the course instead of the stairs?  It's already not going to be a 10K distance, so why not at least make the course a little more reasonable.

I'm hoping you're wrong on the weather on race day.  I guess I have a bit of an advantage in that DC is generally warmer than Duluth, so I should be decently acclimated.  But hard to run your best marathon when it starts that warm.

I'm wondering if we'll have our choice of when to get on the bus, or if bus times will be assigned?  I'm also wondering if they'll change the start time of either race - the half marathon is going to take longer to start, which means less time to clear the half-start before the full marathon comes through.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

No ice...just drizzle and 38° 

Everything felt a little off last week, so they were more sluggish than usual.  But yeah, the cool down definitely is slower after doing them.  Three flights of spiral stairs?  Ugh.  Nice work, though, especially when you can’t get in a proper warmup due to logistics that weren’t in your control.  Don’t know how cold it was for you, but here, ice on the stairs might have been a concern.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

DW- from local coverage my understanding is you can choose your bus, fast people encouraged to start sooner. There will be some catching the 1/2 marathon but with spread the crowd should never be that big to run through (in theory).  The start times are pretty well set because of road closures and un likely to change.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW- from local coverage my understanding is you can choose your bus, fast people encouraged to start sooner. There will be some catching the 1/2 marathon but with spread the crowd should never be that big to run through (in theory).  The start times are pretty well set because of road closures and un likely to change.

Excellent.  Yes, I'll be on one of the first ones, unless there's a specific weather-related reason not to be.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

OMR - thanks.  Sorry that you have been dealing with similar - I guess it's one foot at time, y'know?  I hope things improve for you - I'm assuming that some of it may be related to the tough work situation you've been in for some time now. 

Mine is related to general anxiety following the event I had last July.  (I think I mentioned it here several months ago?)

DPS: Great job on the race! I think that's definitely worth a sub 35 for 10k, probably around 34:20. Can't imagine having stairs, and spiral no less, in a race.

OMR: Solid week. I can understand the residual anxiety; I guess it just takes time. Glad that the lower back is feeling better.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mine is related to general anxiety following the event I had last July.  (I think I mentioned it here several months ago?)

Ah - I'm sorry.  I must have missed that.  Very sorry.

OMR

Ah - I'm sorry.  I must have missed that.  Very sorry.

No worries, it’s all good.  Just have to retrain the brain a bit, and make a few lifestyle changes that probably needed to be made anyway.