2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

At home with a very energetic, teething, but vomiting 10 month old.....so if someone wouldn't mind doing my 13 miler for me today that would be great. Thanks.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

At home with a very energetic, teething, but vomiting 10 month old.....so if someone wouldn't mind doing my 13 miler for me today that would be great. Thanks.

I can do it for you tomorrow, if you don't mind it being about 2 minutes slower per mile.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

If I wasn't trying to get back into speed work I'd consider it based on my emotions about work. Sucks on the 10 month old. Our 10 week old keeps vomiting after eating. Still gaining weight, but it's a guarenteed spit up after eating. Have you considered dosing the child with dimetapp or Benadryl? Crush it up into really REALLY tiny pieces and smash it into some banana.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Have you considered dosing the child with dimetapp or Benadryl? Crush it up into really REALLY tiny pieces and smash it into some banana.

I might consider this...for myself, hahaha...

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I can do it for you tomorrow, if you don't mind it being about 2 minutes slower per mile.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I might consider this...for myself, hahaha...

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Hello speedsters and endurance monsters!

I'm Flavio, 40, originally from the south of Brazil, currently living in Bologna, Italy.

Wife, no kids.

Stats: 6'1 176lbs 80kg.

Target: sub 3 hours at the 3 countries marathon - Bregenz / Austria, 2021-10-10.

I've started running about 10 years ago and I have probably tried every wrong choice there is. Up until 2019 I had never done workouts safe for a quick training block in 2016. I was always getting injured when I tried. It turns out I just needed strength training. Once I started that I could do workouts just fine. That's why I'm known to preach about strength training all the time from time to time.

I'm also known for really bad jokes, join me on my comedic prowess!

The 1500 is my favorite distance, I hope to run one more in 2021, hopefully in a proper race, not running by myself like the last time.

I've just finished a training block end of March with an average of 50 miles per week, leading to a HM time trial PR in 1h22 and a 5k time trial in 17:56.

My last proper race was a short course 10k (9.86k) in Pisa in 36:40, a glorious day with photo finish with the leaning tower in the background.

My past experience with marathons has been very bad, mostly due to low mileage at first, and then a super warm day.

My first 2 were based on 20 miles per week, a 4h42 and a 4h49 a few months later where I got passed by a couple of ladies walking (I was going slow).

In 2014 I've tried my hand with a flat road 50k in 4h30.

Later that year I've tried to long run a marathon on easy pace based on a period of 50 miles per week .

I failed again miserably, crashing at 37km, but I didn't have to walk. 3h43 the final time

In early 2016 I've finally had an enormous training block averaging 70 miles per week with peaks of 75 miles. I was in supreme shape for that same flat 50k.

It was a very warm day at 23c 73f, and I hit the wall at 39k, crossing the marathon distance in 3h15, and finishing the 50k in 4h01 (target was 3h45).

So yeah, 5 times I've tried and 5 times I've failed.

But now I'm a bit lighter and with decent times so hopefully I'll be able to build on top of current fitness.

Contrary to many of you I've too much motivation, and a LOT of time. I don't have the genetics for it, but if I could I'd be running 120 miles per week .

I've just hired a coach to objectively assess my training and set me up on a optimal path to the race, peaking at the right time.

Here goes nothing!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio: Welcome to the group! I've followed your training via lurking in the 1:30 thread and you have had a strong last year with the 5k and half time trials and PRs. That half time definitely shows you are capable of sub 3 (actually way under 3) so I think if you can safely get the mileage up it should be a breeze! Your race is on a very active 3 day stretch; I race the day before and several here will run Boston the day after. How is the course for your race? Hopefully nice and flat .I think more and more people here and on the 1:30 group are trying a coach; I've not heard of any regrets/bad experiences with one so I think it can only help.

By the way, who do you like for the Olympic 1500m? I think the women's race will be most interesting. Tsegay and Hassan are probably the top 2 at the moment. The men's race should be good as well.

edit: Marby is racing Melbourne the same day as your race....busy weekend indeed!

2:52:16 (2018)

OMR

welcome flavio, that’s an impressive HM on 50mpw!  +1 to JT’s comment about sub-3:00 being well within your grasp with some additional mileage.  Curious to see what your coach decides for you.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Flavio - Great to hear that you’re having another crack at the marathon distance and I agree with JT that you’ve had a strong year! And it’ll be good to have a strength training expert on this thread. 👍

I heard  back from Richmond and they couldn’t get it sorted with the council so they’ve moved the race to private land on Kempton Park racecourse on the 29th May. I’ll be giving it a miss because A, I’m not a horse and B, it’s on a bank holiday weekend and I’ve got other plans. So my next marathon won’t be until September at Brighton and will decide nearer the time if that’s going to be my goal race or last long run before London. (I’m assuming that Boston 2022 registration will open just after the Boston 2021 race)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

JT - thanks for the welcome! 

Who knows what kind of shape they will be in for the olympics. Hassan was the girl to beat during the worlds in Doha, I figure it might be much closer this time.

The Olympics is also 3 races in a few days, pretty hard if you ask me.

Timothy Cheruyot is the obvious favorite for the men’s race, but again who knows how he’s been training lately.

I love the 1500 because by the time you start hurting which is around 900/1000m you are already so close to the last 400.

Mikkey - thanks mate, your PRs don’t make sense haha, you’re built for the marathon it seems

OMR - thanks, let's see what lies ahead. It's going to be some long 5 months and I've got to avoid throwing my back, picking up the flu and other natural obstacles along the way.

me - I'll post my week in KM so it appears to be a bigger number 😀

Weekly for period: From: 26/04/2021 To 02/05/2021

Date Name Distance
                        in km
                        Duration Avg Pace
                        per km
                        Elevation Gain
                        in m
                        26/04/2021 Morning Run 5.69 00:30:00 05:16 32
                        27/04/2021 Morning Run 9.28 00:46:00 04:57 68
                        28/04/2021 Morning Run 8.23 00:41:00 04:59 52
                        29/04/2021 Morning Run 15.69 01:18:00 04:58 92
                        01/05/2021 Morning Run 6.32 00:30:07 04:46 29
                        02/05/2021 Morning Run 20.00 01:34:46 04:44 12

Total distance: 65.21km

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio: Nice week; and no problem using kms, we welcome all units here.  If you don't mind, and are open to sharing, I'd like to see what you do for your strength work routine. I'm always looking for ways to improve my own routine. At the moment it consists of leglifts (while laying on my back), squats, deadlift, monster walk with bands for hip adductor/abductor, and some bandwork for hip internal rotators.

I'm actually really excited for pretty much all the track races in the Olympics, plus of course the marathon. There will be some epic battles in many events. The men's 10,000m in particular is shaping up to be an incredible field.

Mikkey: Too bad about Richmond. You're training has been great; I hope you'll keep at it. September isn't too far away.

I started back with workouts this week with a 4 mile tempo that went ok. Today I wanted to do a progression but s progressed too quickly (premature progression? ) and it ended up being a 4 mi block and then a 2 mile block. I foolishly went off trail yesterday in the woods and was rewarded with a tick bite. Unfortunately tick season has started up in force so I'll be staying on the trails from now on. I know every species has its place in the ecosystem, but I really would love if ticks went extinct.

Weekly for period: From: 04/26/2021 To 05/02/2021

Date Name Distance
                          in mi
                          Duration Avg Pace
                          per mi
                          Elevation Gain
                          in ft
                          04/27/2021 Morning Run 8.29 1:07:10 8:06 472
                          04/28/2021 Morning Run w/ 4 mile tempo (6:08 average) 9.19 1:02:53 6:51 236
                          04/29/2021 Morning Run 10.09 1:21:38 8:05 531
                          04/30/2021 Morning Run 8.18 1:07:28 8:15 486
                          05/01/2021 Trail run + woods 10.54 1:45:33 10:01 804
                          05/02/2021 Morning Run 13.14 1:35:18 7:15 797

Total distance: 59.42 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I heard  back from Richmond and they couldn’t get it sorted with the council so they’ve moved the race to private land on Kempton Park racecourse on the 29th May. I’ll be giving it a miss because A, I’m not a horse and B, it’s on a bank holiday weekend and I’ve got other plans. So my next marathon won’t be until September at Brighton and will decide nearer the time if that’s going to be my goal race or last long run before London. (I’m assuming that Boston 2022 registration will open just after the Boston 2021 race)

Ugh - I'm sorry.  That's a bit frustrating.    Obviously their hands are tied, but it's still unfortunate.

Flavio - thanks for making me do KM/Miles math in TWO threads 

JTReeves - a good return.  You could call that an "interrupted progression."  Re: the tick, I'm glad you found it right away.  Lyme disease is scary stuff (a teammate has it, and it has essentially ended her running), but from what I understand the tick needs to be attached at least 24 hours to transmit Lyme.

My week:  58 miles running, 1000 yards swimming. 3 hours pool-running.

M: 50 minutes pool-running and yoga.
                            T: 9.5 miles very easy (9:05) with drills and 4 hill strides, upper body weights/core, and then 3 miles very easy on treadmill (9:33).
                            W: 12.5 miles, including 2x2 miles in 13:06 (6:36/6:30) and 13:07 (6:37/6:30) with half mile in 4:32 in between. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                            Th: 3.5 miles very easy on treadmill (9:47), 50 minutes pool-running, and upperbody weights/core.
                            F: 9.5 miles very easy (9:01) with drills, 2 hill strides, 2 flat strides, upper body weights/core, and then 3 miles very easy (8:49).
                            Sa: 17 miles, including a workout of 2x5 miles at marathon pace - 5 mile segments averaged 7:05 and 6:57 pace; floating mile in 8:08 in between. Followed with injury prevention work, 500 yards recovery swimming and 20 minutes pool-running.
                            Su: 60 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

flavio - 1:22 HM PR - with that PR I would not target anything less than sub 2:55 - seriously. 2xHM time + 10 minutes is a very reasonable goal. I will disagree with JTR on reporting training week in KMs - nothing personal - just too old to convert to two standards in one thread Smile - so, no comment on your week . Though, I converted total mileage and 40 miles seems a little low for marathon training thread - forget your habits from sub 1:30 HM thread - become a real man . Marathon man...

JTR - that Wed's 4 miles workout is pretty cool. What is your next marathon, if you have uninterrupted training till then based on what you have... I always liked this kind of progression - now that you definitely know you can run sub 2:55, just target something like sub 2:52, seriously, try a progression theory, not All Ball To the Table Smile Not kidding.

Mikkey, will wait for your real race results and will go from there.

DW - 2x5 miles @ marathon pace?! Envy you - I was able to run 1 mile @ marathon pace on Friday and know how difficult that is Smile And it was not 5 miles @MP, twice...

My week was decent - missed one day after getting 2nd shot - decided to play it safe. Looks like I am testing different approach i my training structure right now - half of my current runs have 2-3 miles at moderate effort (according to Hudson) at the end - last many cycles it was mostly just easy running.

Mo - 4.02 @10:36

Tu - 2 @6:30, 1 @6:27, 4x400 @~5:50

We - 10.18 @8:15

Th - off

Fr - 10.21 @8:06

Sa - 8.22 @9:09

Su - 12.56 @8:20

===

Total: 53.2 mi

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

jhudak55

Flavio: That’s a really solid half! Excited to see how much you can knock off of the old marathon PR.

Cal: Nice looking Tuesday workout. How did the 400s feel?

DW: Nice week. Do you have any local races you are looking at in the near future? I see you have a 10 miler and Grandma’s on the schedule.

JT: That’s a solid workout out for the first one back!

Mickey: Sorry about the marathon change. Are you going to try any smaller races or time trials in the meantime?

My week:

25.3 miles running and 5,400 yards swimming

M: 3 miles easy (8:59) and 1,000 yards swim swimming

T: 3 miles easy (8:54)

W: 3 miles easy (8:51)

T: 3 miles easy (9:07) and 1,500 yards swimming

F: 3 miles easy (9:01)

S: 3 miles easy (8:51) and 1,600 yards swimming

S: 7 miles easy/aerobic (8:33) and 1,300 yards swimming

Spent this week trying to get back in the routine of running every day. Want to ease into things and not get ahead of my self right out of the gate. Added in some swimming and started the 0to1650, swim a mile program.

Currently targeting a half on May 29th. That will pretty much just be a fitness check, but I hope to be in sub 1:30 shape for it. We’ll see...