2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JTR - please update my goals for CIM: A goal - sub 2:57:49; B goal - sub 2:58:26 Smile

Wuss.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Cal: Very specific goals.... what is the significance if you don't mind sharing?

I have a very good friend here, who, after I ran 2:48 at age of 50 and started to kind of be very excited about it with everybody, said - "hey, that's fine, but when you can beat my 56 yo time, then you will prove it. It's much easier to run fast when you are young (50 yo !!! Smile ) and it's getting harder and harder to do with each coming year". So, the time he ran CIM at age of 56 was 2:58:26. So, that's the time for me to beat to cut his last lifeline Smile. His PR he told me was at age 54 - he ran at CIM too with time of 2:57:49. But now I see his lifetime PR is actually 2:57:18 (age 43 at CIM too Smile ). So, maybe I should update my A goal - 2:57:18?

I'm good for dinner either night, if you want to make the reservation. I'll almost certainly be solo so could do wherever. I didn't realize Dan was doing Chicago too. So he's going to try and pull it off? Nice.

I believe he is targeting to sub 3 both, Chicago and Boston. For information, I think I will be with the whole family - my wife just would not let me go, if didn't finally agree to take everybody - they never been to Boston, that's their excuse.

JT - Ha! Not sure about that. I know how quickly Cal gets in to shape. I don't see just a sub 3 remaining his goal. I fully expect him to be way ahead of me.

You guys have no shame. Taking 42 yo young man and 56 yo old dude and trying to make them compete? Shame on you! At least with Mikkey we are the same age (almost, he is still almost year younger Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

Wuss.

Just follow on your own advice that Rome was not built in a day 

Btw, what is YOUR goal for London, "no-wuss-man"?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Any chance you guys will be competitive and get some trash talking going? You both have the same goal time. Maybe Andres can be Mikkey's surrogate at this year's Boston with a mission to beat Cal on his behalf...

Great idea and I’m willing to be Andres’s online coach....and MP intervals will be on the menu!

Train easy - Race hard. 👊

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey just don't tell Cal about the supershoes we have now. I don't think he knows of them yet 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Did you see this:

"The qualifying window for the 2022 Boston Marathon will begin on September 1, 2019 and will continue through the conclusion of the to-be-announced 2022 Boston Marathon registration period later this fall." 

https://www.baa.org/125th-boston-marathon-qualifier-acceptances-announced

Wasn't your qualifier CIM 2019? If so, you should be good for 2022, assuming field size is back to normal. Also means I can use my 2020 Houston time to watch the Mikkey/Cal showdown if things go bad in Boston this year.

THANKS!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

The town festival is Syttende Mai.....sooooo yes.

DPS: I added your half to the table; I remember my grandparents saying uff da (among other things Norwegian); they were from Norway. Are there a lot of Norwegians where you are?

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal WHOA! Are you really going for a 2:57 this year? After running 2019 I can't imagine running much faster for a full marathon. Heck even trying for a 2:54 for me seems like it would take a few years of really high mileage and constant improvement to get to.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

Cal WHOA! Are you really going for a 2:57 this year? After running 2019 I can't imagine running much faster for a full marathon. Heck even trying for a 2:54 for me seems like it would take a few years of really high mileage and constant improvement to get to.

Wuss.

You see? The same goal and two different reactions. That's why you should never allow somebody's opinion to distract you from your personal goals Smile.

RP - that's why I like my approach to marathon time improvement - imho, it's the fastest and most reliable way to improve your racing time. We all saw that many times - when runners assign a really lofty goals for themselves - like sub 2:40, sub 2:45, sub 2:50. Then, they go, run it, miss it sometimes and that "failure" to achieve the goal starts messing with their head and hurts their confidence, their belief they can achieve that goal/time. What I did before and what worked almost like a clock - you set a reasonable goal, not lofty one, just some challenging one. Let's say I set sub 3 goal for Boston - it's 6:50 pace, I know that I can probably achieve it with a high probability - it's feasible, I know that - my confidence is high. So... I run Boston, get that sub 3 / 6:50 pace and switch my focus on the next marathon, CIM. I just ran sub 3 in October, so, I have a high confidence level that I might be able to run sub 2:58 - which is realistically - 6:45 pace. I am not going from running sub 3 to running sub 2:50 - that would be what other runners do and that would be REALLY challenging, if not impossible. I just plan to run 5 seconds per mile faster - which is still challenging, but not unreal. The biggest advantage of this approach is that your level of confidence in yourself and your body grows and people really underestimate the real impact of high confidence and low confidence. With high confidence, whenever you feel down during the race, you will probably say to yourself - "that's temporary, I know I can overcome that". With low level the bigger chance is that you will think "oh, here we go, I won't be probably able to do that"..And as soon as you hear those doubts, oh boy, that's another tough stuff to battle in addition to stress of the race.

Of course. all the above only works when you have uninterrupted cycle of training with no injuries.

Anyway, RP... I just do not think I have a choice. Realistically, I think , to beat Mikkey in 2022, I should target something in the vicinity of 2:50. It sounds really challenging I know, but he run 2:50:43 in 2018 and, judging by his training, he didn't become much slower. Boston is not a slow course, so, if I accepted hist challenge, I have to accept the time goal that is required to be relevant in that competition.I also have a secret advantage - I am currently 10 pounds overweight, minimum. And you know what losing weight gives to your pace. Of course, losing that weight is another challenge by itself, but I have to get there because that was my regular weight in the past.

Oh... Another (possible?) advantage - I never ran in "secret" shoes. But I have a new pair and plan to give it a try Smile

Andres1045

Cal - Great that your family will make the trip to Boston. I think mine is totally over the idea of going on a marathon trip with me. I don't really blame them though.

Great idea and I’m willing to be Andres’s online coach....and MP intervals will be on the menu!

Train easy - Race hard. 👊

I'm a big believer in train easy, race hard. But everyone seems to have their own interpretation of that. I'm going to try and go back to what has worked for me in the past. Several weeks of 5k interval type stuff, followed by longer HMP to 10k pace intervals. I'm not expecting much for an October marathon this year though. Getting to sub 3 will be great. I'll be in Houston all of August with overnight lows around 80F and near 100% humidity before the sun comes up. Add in that I'll have a two week trial starting in the second half, not much quality running will happen that month.

Upcoming races: Boston

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal did you even READ my recap from CIM 2019? All the doubt and ‘oh man’ moments were met with conversations and negotiations. I think my only CURRENT doubt is I’ll have the anger motivation for another sub 3. 7 months and counting.

Andres I’m (attempting) doing a similar 5k speed build right now leading into a goal marathon cycle. It seemed to make sense half because I was told 5k training isn’t AS demanding as a full marathon cycle, and I could do a time trial 5k much easier than a half marathon. Races JUST started happening locally and the courses aren’t what I’d want to run to determine fitness.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey - that was an interesting read. I’ve read somewhere sometime ago that we are born with a limited number of damns to give and we waste most of it while young 😀

JT - yeah, I’m lean at the moment, better than recent years anyway.

Calbears - isn’t it much simpler to just sprinkle some germs on Mikkey’s fish and chips? With the toilet breaks he will surely be over 3 hours 😈

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CalBears

Calbears - isn’t it much simpler to just sprinkle some germs on Mikkey’s fish and chips? With the toilet breaks he will surely be over 3 hours 😈

Ha-ha - I guess you never had Russians as friends? Most of them are very direct people, they ask you direct questions and are not very good in politics. With Russians you, with very high probability, know exactly if they like you or not. They usually do not hide that behind a smile - that's why very often it's hard to get adjusted for Russians to the way West culture works - people smile, people say seemingly nice things, but next thing you know - they reported you to an office about something they didn't like or thought it must be reported (instead of talking to you directly to settle the issue - like most of the Russians do). Very difficult to adjust Sad

Anyway... What I am trying to say, it's much easier for me to train hard, beat Mikkey in a race and then sleep well. Even if he sprinkles some germs on my french fries and I lose, I will still be sleeping well, because I know I am cool Smile. Planning a complicated scheme to, presumably, achieve something is very risky and really ruins your image (and, honestly, you won't sleep well knowing you did that stuff) if something goes wrong. On the other hand, if I lose without sprinkling, it doesn't do much bad - just simple calculations for that case Smile

Btw, as for Russians, that's why I do not believe they ever used "Novichek" to "poison" in UK (Saulsbery?) some very insignificant guy - too much risk for no reward when things could be done much simpler. This is not the first time West thinks about Russian way of thinking in a wrong way. 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Btw, as for Russians, that's why I do not believe they ever used "Novichek" to "poison" in UK (Saulsbery?) some very insignificant guy - too much risk for no reward when things could be done much simpler. This is not the first time West thinks about Russian way of thinking in a wrong way. 

LOL

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Flavio - It’s been a long time since I last had fish and chips by the Pier!  The only good thing about the lockdowns are that I’ve become an even better cook.