2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

copy/paste from the sub 90 thread...

Decent week for me. I actually thought about taking Sunday off to get stuff done around the house, but I didn't. Mostly because I wanted to get AT LEAST 50 miles and rounding up wasn't going to make that happen. The 20 miler was kind of spontaneous. I ran with a guy training for a 100 miler. He runs early, and I've learned it's nice to be done with the run and have the ENTIRE day left to do things. He is a good listener too, and seems to enjoy my company. He is also willing to map out the entire course which is more important to me than anything. The Saturday morning run group I WAS part of hasn't gotten back together, and shows ZERO desire to do so even with masks no longer required if you're vaccinated or outside. It is sad and I miss the group. I think my wife likes me being home around 8 am instead of 10 or 11 am.

Weekly for period: From: 05/10/2021 To 05/16/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
    in ft
    05/10 That time this training thing seems to be working. 7.60 12.22 01:07:40 08:54 05:32 108
    05/10 TRX 3x10 0.00 0.00 00:33:58 00:00 00:00 0
    05/11 That time I came home to ‘The CRUSHERRRRRRRRRRR!’ 7.01 11.28 00:59:32 08:30 05:17 115
    05/12 That time 48% of decisions are bad decisions. 7.01 11.27 00:58:31 08:21 05:12 118
    05/13 That time I went couch to 5k. 7.00 11.27 00:56:42 08:06 05:02 102
    05/15 That time I felt like a zombie. 20.01 32.19 02:49:32 08:28 05:16 1106
    05/16 That time I couldn’t phone a friend. 7.51 12.09 01:00:49 08:06 05:02 472

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
    in m
    10/05 That time this training thing seems to be working. 7.60 12.22 01:07:40 08:54 05:32 33
    10/05 TRX 3x10 0.00 0.00 00:33:58 00:00 00:00 0
    11/05 That time I came home to ‘The CRUSHERRRRRRRRRRR!’ 7.01 11.28 00:59:32 08:30 05:17 35
    12/05 That time 48% of decisions are bad decisions. 7.01 11.27 00:58:31 08:21 05:12 36
    13/05 That time I went couch to 5k. 7.00 11.27 00:56:42 08:06 05:02 31
    15/05 That time I felt like a zombie. 20.01 32.19 02:49:32 08:28 05:16 337
    16/05 That time I couldn’t phone a friend. 7.51 12.09 01:00:49 08:06 05:02 144

Total distance: 56.13mi /  90.32km

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

jhudak55

Marby: That long run looked good on Sunday and bodes well for the marathon.

Flavio: What kind of mileage are you planning to run leading up to the marathon?

Cal: Impressive TT. Looking good after only 6 weeks running.

DW: Nice tempo and LR. Looking forward to the marathon.

JT: I was on a hike last summer and tried trail running similar to what you described for about a quarter mile. That's all it took to determine it wasn't for me.

DPS: Congrats on the PR, especially given the high volume week. I see you wore the RC Elite, what do you think of them?

RP: Nice weeks and quite a bit of elevation on that 20 miler.

My week:
      21.1 miles and 6,600 yards swimming

M: 6 miles easy (8:47)

T&W: Off

T: 1800 yards swimming

F: 2.4 miles easy (8:48) and 1800 yards swimming

S: 5.2 miles easy (9:08) and 1200 yards swimming

S: 7.5 miles easy (9:21) and 1800 yards swimming

Much less volume than I was hoping for due to what I think was a blood blister on the outside of my left foot. I think it was caused by an older pair of shoes that need to be retired. Foot felt fine during the run, but was very tender for a couple days after. Took the next couple days off then ran very easy to avoid making it worse. Back to normal now.

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I really like the RC Elite but they are lower profile compared to most super shoes.  They are great for road and track work. They are grippy so they worked well on the compact dirt path.  The RC Elite 2 are ordered for Grandma's. They are same weight but little high stack height and more bouncy per a guy who has run in both. More durable bottom but smoother so less good for track/gravel path. But likely hold up better on road miles and will give them longer life

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Cal - yeah that’s what I meant that the US is playing darts with vaccines at the moment.

Thankfully though since now Uncle Sam has removed their boots from the neck of all vaccine producers and it’s flowing to the rest of the world.

Italians are now very optimistic and it sounds like my age group is going to get vaxxed end of June.

We won’t be here anymore (Moving to Portugal), so I guess it will be September or October for us.

Also, annoying people is something completely within my abilities, running more mileage unfortunately is not 

JT - as I mentioned we’re all different. A 1h22 half just ensures I can reach 20 miles in sub 3 pace, but it’s worth nothing if I have cramps on both quads like last time.

You Sir are insane for doing that trail race haha, nearly 3 hours of running on that terrain.

OMR - I seem to remember you used to run 100 miles per week in the old RW days. Did you have any big injury period?

DPS - once again great job on a very tough course with not much taper.

JHuda - I have no idea re: mileage. We’ll have to wait and see how the body adapts to the longer weeks. I would hope to reach 60 miles for a few weeks.

Blood blister sounds painful. Any chance you can still run but with a bandaid on top of it?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

OMR

RP:  Bummer on the running group not getting back together.  I think it will be interesting to see just how much doesn’t return to the way things were before covid.  Some local businesses here are now closing up, not because covid is keeping shoppers away, but because they cannot find employees.

flavio:  I think I only hit 100mpw a few times, but 80+ was pretty normal for me for a while.  I’ve had a few calf strains along the way, but the biggest injury for me happened about three years ago when I tore my meniscus.  The surgeon said it was an acute injury, not normal wear and tear, and attributed it to some sort of sudden impact.  The only explanation for it was a treadmill malfunction, where the belt just randomly came to an abrupt stop, and I must have been ready to plant on that leg when it happened.  The total time off from that ended up being about 7 months (diagnosis, waiting for surgery, recovery, and then straining my calf after I started running again because I pushed too hard too quickly).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal: Nice time trial; 19:13 is very good considering you are just starting out. I think Mikkey ran almost the same time recently; maybe a couple of seconds faster? I'm sure he will clarify the details for you 

Yep, that is a good 5k TT and congrats to Cal!  My 5000m TT was 19:11 a couple of months ago...but I’ve lost all motivation again after multiple race cancellations....so I’m now focused on my true love of competitive golfing with my old buddies and determined to get down to 7 handicap again!

I don’t have that fire in my belly for running right now...but I’ll still be running Boston 2022...and will beat Cal by more than 2 seconds. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Yep, that is a good 5k TT and congrats to Cal!  My 5000m TT was 19:11 a couple of months ago...but I’ve lost all motivation again after multiple race cancellations....so I’m now focused on my true love of competitive golfing with my old buddies and determined to get down to 7 handicap again!

I don’t have that fire in my belly for running right now...but I’ll still be running Boston 2022...and will beat Cal by more than 2 seconds. 👍

Yeah, I was surprised with the result, honestly. I think I saw your TT time when you did that and thought - man, there is no way I can run that time now. Well... I did. But now I am fighting with another issue - I think I already mentioned it. Having track workout once a week seems to be great thing this cycle, having other one-two times every week "progression" runs was also great, but I started to have issues with my back after such "unusually intense" (for me) training sessions. I have to skip Monday (after LR with some moderate part in it on Sunday) and today I woke up and decide to skip my run again - back just didn't feel right - nothing serious right now, but I just felt if I run I will just makes things worse.

So, all that means I cannot get to a point where I am able to run 70-80 miles per week. And without it I do not think I can get into real good marathon shape. Last 3-4 years I was just running a lot of miles, doing speedier stuff closer to the end of a cycle and it was fine - was getting my sub 3 once a year Smile. But now I cannot get to that high mileage point - I definitely speedier than usual right now, but that limits more running for me turns out. I will probably still continue having track session and then maybe some progression part once a week - either Friday or Sunday inside LR (though that means harder workout are close together - Sunday and Tuesday). Looks like have to sync my training with my age Sad. Or think about picking up some exercises for my back (yeas, I don't do any X-Train - never did before also).

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

deleted

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal I think you can still get in some good marathon shape. It might not be a 2:54 or 2:57 like you want but definitely a sub 3. Do you do any kind of cross training or just all running?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

Cal I think you can still get in some good marathon shape. It might not be a 2:54 or 2:57 like you want but definitely a sub 3. Do you do any kind of cross training or just all running?

I mentioned it - just running... I know, I know - I will be advised to do cross-training - and I will probably try to do something as I started to have all these problems (not serious yet - but only because I limit running when I have them) - I am just not completely sure that the payback from the cross-training is worth the time.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - Boston 2022 - who is the smartest? It’s not all about mileage or speed workouts!  May the best woman win. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Cal - Boston 2022 - who is the smartest? It’s not all about mileage or speed workouts!  May the best woman win. 👍

Huh? Have no clue what you just said  But I totally realize that I am non-native speaker Sad

Cal its pretty normal for 50+ runners to have back issues. I have several each year. You might want to stretch your back daily and once per week do a core workout.

You probably won't until it becomes a regular issue 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

I mentioned it - just running... I know, I know - I will be advised to do cross-training - and I will probably try to do something as I started to have all these problems (not serious yet - but only because I limit running when I have them) - I am just not completely sure that the payback from the cross-training is worth the time.

I think it made my recovery easier and faster. Plus there is something motivating about trying to prove someone or some thing wrong. Prove to yourself it doesn’t work by giving it a good honest try for three months and see what happens.

VDOT 53.37 

Marby

Ash

Cal – Sounds like the best approach to skip some runs and dial back as a precaution.

Perhaps the ‘unusual intensity’ is only partly the issue? If the stats I’m seeing are correct you came off a period of 7-8 months averaging less than 10 mi a week into 5 weeks of over 50.

That you have the speed you have is remarkable.  I don’t think you need 70-80 but do need patience getting to whatever mileage target you decide on.  No reason why speedier stuff can’t wait too, while you work toward that volume. Better to limit running than be forced into loathsome activities like strength/x-training 

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)