2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Cal- I am looking forward to racing.  Last year I felt like i was in shape but nothing crazy.  This training cycle has been very hard, but i feel really in shape.  Last year was a lot of 8-12 mile workouts at Marathon Pace that were tiring, but where just checking a box.  This year the speed work has been way more intense, which combined with the mileage the since June 2019 makes me feel pretty fit.  I think if I tapered down i could break 16 5k, 34 10k, just got to see if i can hold the last 10k of the marathon.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DW: Really strong week again by you. I hope we can meet up at some point at the 10 miler. Will you take the shuttle to the start? I signed up for that since I'll be solo for the trip. I've been impressed so far with the communication from the race; looks like it will be well organized.

DPS: Huge week. Good call to shut down that 4 x 2 session, a half marathon takes a lot out of you and better to recover, if you can call a 100 mile week recovery 

Boston/NYC 2022: So is the showdown now moving to NYC? I'll be in wherever you guys decide... just need to know in time to register.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal I’m picking 19:25 because I think I’m in better shape, I want something challenging and it’s closer to sea level so I expect to be faster. I’ll see what 5x1k says later today.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Boston/NYC 2022: So is the showdown now moving to NYC? I'll be in wherever you guys decide... just need to know in time to register.

I didn't think about moving Boston out of the showdown for sure, I only thought about adding NYC race - but sure, NYC challenge is up to Mikkey - what he feels about it - but Boston still should stay as originally agreed. Btw, I was thinking about Chicago next year too - my family would love to visit that place one more time.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

rovatti:  Thanks, and Hi!  Any running happening for you these days?

Not really....  every time I ramp up (say to 20mpw), my patellas get worse.   I still harbor slim hopes that they'll calm down some day, and I'll able to train for a 5K or mile.

But I've still got my youthful figure.

if any of youze comes to NYC someday, I'll go into training, so that I'll be able to take you out for a jog (...with me running tempo).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I didn't think about moving Boston out of the showdown for sure, I only thought about adding NYC race - but sure, NYC challenge is up to Mikkey - what he feels about it - but Boston still should stay as originally agreed. Btw, I was thinking about Chicago next year too - my family would love to visit that place one more time.

It will probably have to be one or the other, so let’s stick with Boston then. I will purchase a Boston jacket and wear it with pride. 

dps/dw - Wow super consistent training. 👍

OMR - Big congrats on the sub20 5k!  And being offered free accommodation for looking after the pets and watering the plants sounds like a great deal to me!

Ian - Good to hear the Achilles is improving and good luck with the ultra.  Great 5k in April btw. 👍

JT/dw - Good luck next week - I don’t see any goal times down on page 1. 

Flavio - Italy and now Portugal - living the dream!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Andres1045

I believe I'm in NYC for 2022. I picked 2022 as my first choice to replace my 2020 registration, and I think everyone got their first choice. So I should be there (and am still planning Boston 2022). Of all the marathons I've done, I like NY the best. If you can get over how crappy the logistics are (significantly worse than Boston, in my opinion), it can be an awesome race. It's one I'm glad to do multiple times.

Upcoming races: Boston

darkwave

Mother of Cats

if any of youze comes to NYC someday, I'll go into training, so that I'll be able to take you out for a jog (...with me running tempo).

I believe I owe you a drink at some point, so I need to get up there.

JTReeves - yup, I'm taking the bus to the start.  I'm staying in a hotel at the finish line - I fly in Saturday around Noon, and fly out Sunday at 4 pm, so should have time for a meet-up post-race.  I'll be the short woman with a black ponytail - red sportsbra, black shorts.

Mikkey- I'm thinking 65-66 minutes.  Forecast is looking good right now.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Marby - Excellent week and closed with a great long run. 

OMR - nice week and good job on the 5k time trial. 19:54, great time.

As you know if you run a 5k in over 20 minutes you need to dress as Lady Gaga and post a picture in this board, as is tradition (The famous Gaga challenge)

Cal - Damn right, golf is not a sport.

JT - you already speak English so you’re pretty much set for life  Jokes apart, it’s nearly impossible to learn something unless you have a very real need to use it.

Ian5 - good job and I will say I’m very jealous of your super human ability to long run a marathon. I’ve tried once and failed miserably.

DPS - I’m impressed that the marathon is your gold prize. One would think age will make 5k and 10k PRs more and more impossible, but the marathon should still be there until early 40s.

Mikkey - How about you also wear some basketball shorts so when you beat Cal it will be even more infuriating? That or jorts 

Cal/Mikkey - Could you guys please PLEASE like run with a phone when the showdown happens so that we can track you guys from the sidelines? It will be way more fun to watch it as it happens and do some live betting.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Ian5

DW/JT-Good luck for the weekend,hope it goes well.

Cal-Think 2:50 is beyond me,as is 90mw,but last summer I averaged 60ish and I am convinced sub 3 would have been comfortable,but until I do it it's easy to say that.

Mikkey-Do you have any races lined up?

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Andres1045

DW & JT, I missed it that you all have a 10 miler this weekend. That's awesome. JT, are you sufficiently recovered from the trail race?

Good luck to both!

Upcoming races: Boston

CalBears

Mikkey - How about you also wear some basketball shorts so when you beat Cal it will be even more infuriating? That or jorts 

Cal/Mikkey - Could you guys please PLEASE like run with a phone when the showdown happens so that we can track you guys from the sidelines? It will be way more fun to watch it as it happens and do some live betting.

flavio - Mikkey will have to buy some expensive aerodynamic gear to be even close to me during the race Smile But you gave him a great idea - he can wear jorts and then justify his loss to that. Great thinking!

As for phones - never ran with a phone and never will, but Boston has a reasonably good tracking system - every 5K - not as good as NYC's every mile, but still - good enough to see a dynamic of the race.

Ian5 - yes, for me it was the same - as soon as I broke sub 3, the gate was opened and sub 2:50 was just a matter of time (it was not  Wink

Mikkey - too bad you won't be able to run 2022 NYC - I am not sure I will get in, though too, but if I do, it will be a great opportunity to beat some young bud's ass from Texas  Though I start to wonder if I am just too greedy (or too excited about coming races) at this point...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Part is age...part is my kids' ages. As my son starts school in the fall, things like plays, sports, family school nights, etc will take up a lot of time. By the time I hit 40 both kids will be in school and by the time they can do things independently, I will be hitting my 50's...so I figure this is the window I got. Also if I knock off my Dad's PR I can hold one family record. He was 3:41 1500, 13:5x 5k, 28:4X 10k. So if I go sub 3

2:37:01 sooner rather than later i may go after my shorter PR on the road but I'll never touch his other times. They are just completelyout of the range of possible. But I'm not likely to beat my track PR's other than 10k cause I never ran one in my previous prime.

Marby - Excellent week and closed with a great long run. 

OMR - nice week and good job on the 5k time trial. 19:54, great time.

As you know if you run a 5k in over 20 minutes you need to dress as Lady Gaga and post a picture in this board, as is tradition (The famous Gaga challenge)

Cal - Damn right, golf is not a sport.

JT - you already speak English so you’re pretty much set for life  Jokes apart, it’s nearly impossible to learn something unless you have a very real need to use it.

Ian5 - good job and I will say I’m very jealous of your super human ability to long run a marathon. I’ve tried once and failed miserably.

DPS - I’m impressed that the marathon is your gold prize. One would think age will make 5k and 10k PRs more and more impossible, but the marathon should still be there until early 40s.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

There used to be a guy from the old sub3 thread who raced in jorts!  I’ve just upgraded to a refurbished iPhone 8 which is far too heavy and would slow me down by a couple of minutes if I carried it. 👎

I would look ridiculous in a pair of basketball shorts....but would have no problem racing in a pair of smart tweed plus four trousers with compression socks...similar to this gentleman.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DW: Sounds good; I'll be the tall guy with the same color pattern; black shorts and red top. The weather is looking pretty decent, let's hope there are no drastic changes.

Ian: I forgot to congratulate you on your 5k; that's a great time! Nice you could run that marathon and enjoy it.

Mikkey and Andres: Not totally sure what I can expect for this 10 miler, but something around 62 min seems possible.

Flavio: Better than tracking via phones for the Cal vs Mikkey showdown is to run the race yourself and stay with them; then you can witness the race, the trash-talking, and any incidents of foul play/violence between them firsthand! This will be my own training motivation for Boston 2022. 

2:52:16 (2018)