2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

16:34 5k off 100 /100/ 98 mile weeks today. Pretty darn happy with that.

Thanks to any Veterans who may be in this thread!

Very nice.  I take it you're tapering now?   It'll be nice to go into the marathon with a good race under your belt!

Marby - I am so sorry - that sucks.  I really hope things play out better than you are anticipating.  Any chance they could push back the marathon a week (I know in the US that wouldn't be doable, but perhaps permitting is different in your area).

JTReeves - again, it was wonderful to finally meet.

Below is my weekly and my race report.  Like JTReeves, I was slower than I expected to be.  Ah well.

39 miles running, 500 yards swimming, and 2 hours pool-running

M: 1 hour pool-running and streaming yoga.
    T: 9 miles very easy (9:01) and upper body weights/core
    W: 10 miles, including a track workout of 3x800, 4x200 in 3:04, 3:04, 3:03, 42, 43, 43, 42. 2:30 and 2:27 recovery between the 800s; full recovery otherwise. Followed with 500 yards recovery swimming.
    Th: 1 hour pool-running and DIY yoga.
    Fr: 6 miles very easy (9:03) followed by light upper body weights/core.
    Sa: Off. Just travel and DIY yoga
    Su: 3.5 miles warm-up, then a 10 mile race in 66:57. Followed with a .5 mile cooldown.  Race report.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DPS: Great job on the 5k; that is really impressive coming off so much mileage and so much quality.

DW: Nice race report! I agree that there were some sketchy surfaces, always conveniently located at turns it seemed... I recall a sharp left in the 9th mile which had smooth pink bricks instead of concrete; that was the one place where I slipped. At that point the rain was starting to pick up which definitely contributed to the slickness. Anyway, I think you had a great race especially considering you're coming off of many weeks of heavy training. Now you can soak up the training effect of the 10 miler and enjoy your taper.

2:52:16 (2018)

Marby

Ash

DPS: Cracking 5k

DW: Your race was nearly as good as your race report.

I'm hearing only 3 cases today, if they were already isolating and the next two days are similar... maybe.  There is a chance the event gets pushed back, it's organised by the local running club in Traralgon (a town of 30,000 about 170km from where I live). There are probably only around 300 participants across all events on the day. They have the will and flexibility to make something happen as soon as the government permits.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

DW- Did you negative split. Looks like you did if my math is right?

Yeah, start a little taper this week and then more the last 2 weeks. 19 days to go.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

But you can also get back to the land of the weak - I mean, sub 1:30 thread 

*unlurk*

Let's see you say that over in the sub-1:30 thread!

*relurk*

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

DPS - holy cow! - with a taper you can probably get much closer to Marky_Mark (I mean, the one from the thread of the weak Smile

Marky - yep, we are in a virtual world - so, I feel pretty safe - unless somebody wants to meet in person in Boston?  Plus, I have to attract attention to our thread - it's too crowded over there. And yes - I am kidding - you guys only weak after HM mark - before that you are obviously doing OK.

Marby - that's wild - just 3 cases and life stops again? Just crazy...

DW - I wonder if something was off for you on Saturday. 1:06 is definitely not sub 3 time, probably 3:05 or close - possible you didn't recover well with all the mileage you were doing previously - any previous experience doing 10 miles 3-4 weeks before marathon?

JTR - the same as DW - 1:03 is probably more corresponds to sub 3 for you than sub 2:55 as I see it. I am not sure what kind of pace gap you have between distances, but probably larger than mine. I only had ran two 10 milers and interestingly enough - both of them - 4 and 5 months after my life PR marathon (2:48). 4 months after PR marathon I ran 1:03 and month later - 1:01 - totally realized how important to have an experience in running every particular distance - first 10 miler gave me a pace point in running the second one. Man... I wish they open racing over here finally...

Thinking seriously about cutting speed workouts - back pain comes and go this cycle - I do not think I had this before, but I also pretty sure I did some established plans before that included weekly speed workouts - so, I wonder if I just need to make an adjustment for aging? 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Marby - fingers crossed that things work out for you.  This has to be so frustrating.

DPS - yeah, I think it was a slight negative split.

DW - I wonder if something was off for you on Saturday. 1:06 is definitely not sub 3 time, probably 3:05 or close - possible you didn't recover well with all the mileage you were doing previously - any previous experience doing 10 miles 3-4 weeks before marathon?

So...I'd actually count this as a 67 (since it was just a few seconds under) and yes, I agree that the time points to something like sub-3:10 (I've been thinking sub-3:05 was reasonable).

My preferred routine is generally to do my last 21 miler 4 weeks out, then a half-marathon 3 weeks out. (I don't do this every marathon, because sometimes there are no good options 3 weeks out from a marathon; or I may be doing a tight turnaround from a previous marathon)

I subbed in a 10 miler this time because there were no half-marathons.

Previous history:

Fall 2016 - ran 1:33 for the half and 3:09 for the full

Fall 2017 - ran 89 for the half and 3:10 for the full

Spring 2018 - ran ~86 for the half and then 3:12 for the full (but the full was Boston 2018)

Fall 2018 - ran 84 for the half and then 2:57 for the full

Fall 2019 - ran 84 for the half and then 3:03 for the full (this was the year I was targeting 2:55 but got hit by a truck right before the marathon)

Honestly, I'm not going to worry about it too much.  Since I run all my races off of feel rather than looking at the watch, there's no need to change my plan for the marathon based on this.

Re: the issues with track workouts - could it be that you're not warmed up enough?  I find that in order to not be beaten up too badly by them, I need to warm-up extensively, and also pace them with increasing effort (i.e. the first rep or two eases me into the workout).

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Marky - And yes - I am kidding - you guys only weak after HM mark - before that you are obviously doing OK.

He's not wrong. The sub 1:30 thread will come around though and eventually hit their marathon potentials. Lots of pressure on Flavio to represent that thread well!

JT/DW - great that you guys got to meet. It was absolutely miserable here this weekend. Guess it's better than 85+ though for racing.

DPS - that's a great time on high mileage! I find that 5K actually does well without too much taper, so I don't know if I agree with Cal that you would have seen a huge improvement, but either way, you're clearly in phenomenal shape. If you get a good day at Grandma's sub 2:40 is definitely looking good.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marby

Ash

Lockdown is extended a week and event postponed until July 11. Time to make a new plan 

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Lockdown is extended a week and event postponed until July 11. Time to make a new plan 

Ugh.  I am sorry.  Are you going to try to extend your cycle, or target a different race?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

deleted, as a duplicate comment

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

flavio - yeah, sub 3 thread training is not for the faint of heart - weakened body starts to give up if you are not strong enough Smile But you can also get back to the land of the weak - I mean, sub 1:30 thread 

😂

Th - off (one set of three cross-training exercises (maybe 3 minutes total? Smile - obviously was too much for my body) 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

yeah, strength training gotta start easy, much easier than what you think easy is. Lower intensity.

JT - excellent race, good to sweep the dust out a bit. It sounds like despite the different start it was a regular race that you completed, so excellent news!

DPS - were those 800s done at your 10k pace? Excellent 5k. For comparison, earlier this year I've raced 2 5ks in sequence, first one was on Sunday in 18:13, 2nd one was on Thursday in 18:40 something. And mileage was not high for those weeks, so yeah tired legs make a big difference in the 5k.

Marby - Ugh, sorry to hear that. Suppression is the only sane solution and if a country can apply it then they should. That extension will not work well for you as your body should be in peak fitness by now and it would naturally go down the other way. It's a tricky one, but hopefully you find your way.

me - slowly, very slowly getting better.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Flavio. The goal is to do them at the same pace as your total marathon goal with equal rest. So a 3:00 marathoner would run 800m in 3 min and then jog slowly for 3 min and repeat 10x.  I was aiming for 2:37-38 per 800.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

OMR

A quick post from me, as we were out of town for the weekend, and I missed a lot of stuff about shoes, etc.

dps:  Congrats on that 5K, I hope the weather cooperates for you and Dwave.  We're supposed to get up over 100° this weekend, which is way too early for this s***.

marby:  Bummer on the race/lockdown.

Dwave:  Enjoyed the RR.  Regarding Grandmas, if I remember correctly, there is a section of cobblestone (or pavers or whatever) in downtown Duluth, a mile or two from the finish (unless that has been resurfaced in the last few years)?  I seem to recall the footing being a bit uneven for a while.  Anyhow, I hope that doesn't impact your ankle at all.

JT:  Definitely a good starting point for the next marathon cycle, especially coming off of that trail race.

cal:  Nice week for you, interesting thoughts about the back pain.  I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Last week for me was a scheduled down week:  41.7 miles, capped off with a 12.7M "long run" with the last portion being a 26-minute Steady State run.  Nothing too exciting, but my legs were definitely tired this week after the 5K time trial the weekend before.

CalBears

cal:  Nice week for you, interesting thoughts about the back pain.  I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Last week for me was a scheduled down week:  41.7 miles, capped off with a 12.7M "long run" with the last portion being a 26-minute Steady State run.  Nothing too exciting, but my legs were definitely tired this week after the 5K time trial the weekend before.

No solution yet - I don't want to cancel my Tuesday's track workouts as I like the speed I have right now which I didn't feel since probably 2017, but seems like has an effect on my back and I am skipping days to give back to feel better - it's actually nothing really concerning, honestly - it just some discomfort to some of the moves I do during the day - I didn't feel that in previous years, so I am trying to be extra cautious - because the main day in April 2022 is still far away. I also should confess - I am still doing a little bit more than easy running during Sunday's long run - that's all Hudson's fault - so tempting to do something within that LR. But I definitely need to find strength to just run easy all the days except Tuesday. Anyway...

Curious how you handle your age Smile It's funny, but besides some back symptoms, I feel exactly the same as 5-7 years ago - no major problems, don't feel I am getting slower - only when I look at the numbers, at my paces during workouts now and 5-7 years ago, only then I realize something is happening 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile