2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

OMR

No solution yet - I don't want to cancel my Tuesday's track workouts as I like the speed I have right now which I didn't feel since probably 2017, but seems like has an effect on my back and I am skipping days to give back to feel better - it's actually nothing really concerning, honestly - it just some discomfort to some of the moves I do during the day - I didn't feel that in previous years, so I am trying to be extra cautious - because the main day in April 2022 is still far away. I also should confess - I am still doing a little bit more than easy running during Sunday's long run - that's all Hudson's fault - so tempting to do something within that LR. But I definitely need to find strength to just run easy all the days except Tuesday. Anyway...

Curious how you handle your age Smile It's funny, but besides some back symptoms, I feel exactly the same as 5-7 years ago - no major problems, don't feel I am getting slower - only when I look at the numbers, at my paces during workouts now and 5-7 years ago, only then I realize something is happening 

I wonder if your back would benefit from a "yoga for runners" routine after a hard workout.  I've found that when I do one of those routines, I am much more recovered the next day than I would be if I didn't do it.  Anyhow, a few things I'm trying right now (that are different from about 7 years ago)...

1.  Allowing 1 or 2 rest days per week if I feel my body needs a break (as opposed to including a recovery run and feeling horribly guilty about it if I don't run every day).

2.  More frequent cutback weeks.

3.  Not focusing on mileage quite as much.  I still want to get back up to 60-70mpw, but I'm taking the slow road because I want to include harder workouts along the way.  So I'm kind of focusing on a balanced rebuild, rather than just getting a huge base and then adding speed work and other harder workouts.

Your comment about looking at the numbers resulted in me going back and looking at my own.  For the most part, my easy run pace is about the same now as it was 7 years ago (in terms of pace vs. heart rate for a similar distance).  Even more interesting to me is that my heart rate for last Saturday's steady state run was pretty similar to my MP workouts in 2014...but it feels a bit harder right now.  That could be for a lot of reasons, but I kind of wonder if that is just age creeping up on me, or if I am in better shape than I think I am, hahaha.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - There will be a wall. If not, you totally sandbagged it. Just hope the wall isn't so tall you can't get over it without too much of a problem. But if you assume there won't be, and you start to struggle a little at the end, then that can kill your race.

This post has increased my level of fear, even though I never thought I'd get through without having to go to some dark places.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This post has increased my level of fear, even though I never thought I'd get through without having to go to some dark places.

You go to dark places in every race of every distance, if raced correctly.

The nice thing about the marathon is that you don't have to struggle much with oxygen debt.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

The nice thing about the marathon is that you don't have to struggle much with oxygen debt.

True - and I've been to those places a few times in the last few years.  Some very dark.  I guess I just imagine the dark places in the marathon to be infinitely worse.  I'd really like it to go the way your first marathon did.

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Downside of the marathon is you have a lot more time to spend in dark places.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

100%. I've said before on these forums, but I enter my pain cave somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 through any race distance. If I'm still not bad by the 3/4 mark, I know I've sandbagged it.

Tying back to the purpose of every run: this is why I run very 12-14 miles at MP, because I know I often feel bad with 6 miles to go in those and I can tell myself that in the race: "remember those workouts you felt terrible at this point but finished? You got this." I need those runs for my mental health.

For 5Ks, I go back to my V02 max workouts and think "you've done 1K repeats all the time, this is the last 1K, you got it"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

True - and I've been to those places a few times in the last few years.  Some very dark.  I guess I just imagine the dark places in the marathon to be infinitely worse.  I'd really like it to go the way your first marathon did.

You seriously need to get away from the mindset that the marathon distance is difficult. It isn’t really and won’t be for you as you’ve trained properly. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

This.

Marathon suffering just goes on for longer, because marathons are longer.  It's less about bursting lungs and pounding heart rate, and more about having to will your legs to keep turning over.  But all that volume, and particularly those long runs with MP efforts, will have set you up well to deal with that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

You seriously need to get away from the mindset that the marathon distance is difficult. It isn’t really and won’t be for you as you’ve trained properly. 👍

I like this comment.  I wouldn't know I guess, so I hope you're right!  I have put in the work and as long as I fuel and pace correctly, hopefully it will go well.  Just need the weather to come to the party.

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

This.

Marathon suffering just goes on for longer, because marathons are longer.  It's less about bursting lungs and pounding heart rate, and more about having to will your legs to keep turning over.  But all that volume, and particularly those long runs with MP efforts, will have set you up well to deal with that.

I like this one too!  Pffft, the sub 3 thread isn't as brutal as everyone says...

2024 Races:

CalBears

Mikkey is the best! I agree - I suffered much more during my HM PR than during my FM PR race. FMs are fun! Seriously.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I like this comment.  I wouldn't know I guess, so I hope you're right!  I have put in the work and as long as I fuel and pace correctly, hopefully it will go well.  Just need the weather to come to the party.

I ran my first marathon in 3:46 which averaged about 10mpw over 16 weeks as I injured my knee during “training” 

I’ve run close to 40 marathons and there have only been 3 or 4 experiences that were awful. Why? Because I went out too fast knowing full well that I couldn’t hold the pace!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

3:46 on 10mpw...you’re a freak!

I do feel better reading these comments. The first 10km will be so crucial. I’ll feel fresh and be wearing my cheat shoes but it’s crucial I’m at the right pace. Even 3-5 secs per km slower than target would be okay

2024 Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You will wonder what all the fuss is about regarding marathons...train for it and pace correctly = no problem.

Piwi is the perfect example...he ran 2:59 on his debut marathon.👍

I was a little lucky running 1.27 then 1.32 with all the hills in the first half 

I haven't got a marathon on my radar although having gone sub 1.24 half maybe I should consider it. I really want it to be a big city one though.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "