2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Marby

Ash

He also wants me to take an anti-inflammatory (I'm using Advil), twice a day, for 2 weeks. I'd like people's thoughts on this. He said it will help keep down the inflammation and help the area to heal, but I'm concerned it is also masking pain at the same time. Running has felt good overall, but anything fast is not going to be possible for a while yet (I tested this yesterday with a minute or so pick-up and felt some pain).

JTR:  Another dude on the internet without training but with opinion. I don’t like it. In general, isn’t inflammation part of the body’s healing process? Sure, sometimes it causes a lot of pain. If that is the case of course you medicate.  If it is not overly painful, help inflammation do its thing by not triggering additional. I would rather take a full five days off running than two weeks of NSAIDs.  My guess is that gets you the better long-term outcome.

Cal: Glad to hear the back is getting strong.

Flavio: I’ll give you 15 as long, but no less. Yes, you’ll need to go longer but you have time and a base to do that.

OMR: Based on trend, buy OMR shares.

DW: Love the plan. Good luck!

DPS: What is the plan? Good luck!

Me:  Rollercoaster emotionally.  Early in the week was still on a high from the time trial.  Goal creep city. Needed to treat the trial with respect so some easy days recovering were in order. The first quality was to be Friday. Then Thu AM about 10k into an easy run I felt my hamstring pop. It was a short, sharp pain that was completely gone 10 seconds later so completed the final 4k of that run, without issue. During the remainder of the day, during normal activity l could feel the occasional twinge.  I knew that whatever I had done was minor but was concerned that running on it might make it more of a problem.  I nearly went out and ran Fri AM but ultimately decided to abort.  Instead, booked in to see a physio on Sat AM, had a short period of catastrophising and the low.  Then I see the physio and he’s thinking it’s not even a hamstring issue, more so referred from lower lumbar facet joints. Waiting on x-ray to see what that area looks like.  Might be just tight from a lot of push-ups. A bit of massage seemed to increase range of movement and I was given the all-clear to run, which I did pretty much immediately and successfully.  Followed that up with a solid long run on Sunday to finish the week back up on a high.  Missed a quality run but can live with that.

1000 push-ups and…

06/07/2021 To 06/13/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
    in ft
    06/07 10x 10sec Hills 6.36 10.24 00:58:30 09:12 05:43 571
    06/08 Easy 7.62 12.25 01:03:59 08:24 05:13 207
    06/09 MLR 11.44 18.41 01:35:57 08:23 05:13 354
    06/10 Morning Run 8.79 14.14 01:14:00 08:25 05:14 390
    06/12 Easy 7.98 12.83 01:04:47 08:07 05:03 486
    06/13 Long Run 22.39 36.02 03:09:11 08:27 05:15 1148

Total distance: 64.58mi

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Marby - I wanted to say, a gazillion pushups is probably not a good mix with marathon training.

I have no idea how you do it, to be honest, I do about 30 to 50 pushups in a training session and it's already too much for me.

Do you have bubble wrap at home? I'd say pop bubble wrap for half an hour a day to release all that energy 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Andres and Marby: Thanks for your feedback. I should have mentioned that this guy did take X-rays, also to confirm nothing was broken. He was referred by my regular doctor, who I trust. In general, I feel ok with what he is recommending, except for the 2 weeks of Advil. I stopped that yesterday; just don't feel comfortable saturating my system with that stuff and as you mention Marby; inflammation is a natural response of the body to deal with injured areas. But aside from that, I am willing to give the orthotics a try. I actually wore custom orthotics from age 14 till around 38, and (ironically) stopped using them when I got back into running.

Andres, it seems like a key difference between what you did and what I am doing is I am not wearing pads in my regular shoes, but am wearing them when I run, whereas you were doing the reverse. Initially I was wearing them in my shoes during the day, but found it was not necessary so I stopped. It may have to do with the fact that I'm wearing running shoes at work and when not running, and they have insoles which are very comfortable. I don't feel any discomfort whatsoever wearing them around walking and standing, thus I don't feel like I need to add the pads. Running is a different story; it definitely helps having the pad in. Anyway, I'm willing to give this course of action a shot; if it fails I'll look into other options/other podiatrists. Hopefully it won't come to that.

2:52:16 (2018)

Andres1045

Andres, it seems like a key difference between what you did and what I am doing is I am not wearing pads in my regular shoes, but am wearing them when I run, whereas you were doing the reverse. Initially I was wearing them in my shoes during the day, but found it was not necessary so I stopped. It may have to do with the fact that I'm wearing running shoes at work and when not running, and they have insoles which are very comfortable. I don't feel any discomfort whatsoever wearing them around walking and standing, thus I don't feel like I need to add the pads. Running is a different story; it definitely helps having the pad in. Anyway, I'm willing to give this course of action a shot; if it fails I'll look into other options/other podiatrists. Hopefully it won't come to that.

If you like and trust the guy, definitely stick to what he said. But just to clear one point up, the pads for me weren't used to alleviate pain. It was actually the opposite. Wearing the pad was a little painful. It lifted the injured metatarsal up, giving that one a break, which caused stress on the others. But it lifted the injured one up enough hours a day (about 4 to 6) to allow the swelling to go down on that one over time. It caused pain elsewhere in my foot that went away when I took the pad out. I think that was the reason not to wear it running--using the pad would have felt worse. When I ran, it still hurt until two or three weeks into the treatment. It could be that we are using different types of pads or in different spots.

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Here's the thing with most non-running doctors: unless the injury requires serious treatment, which 90%+ don't, the best advice is always rest+NSAIDs. It's a "do no harm" type treatment. It's why I don't bother going to the doctor anymore with injuries unless I just need a script for PT. I'm also suspicious of custom orthotics. It seems to be the solution for everything for some doctors. I would instead focus on the prescribed exercises. My foot pain right before NYC 2018 was the perfect example of this: the first podiastrist I saw 2 days before the race told me I had a fracture in my foot and put me in a boot after seeing an x-ray that had a suspicious looking line on it. I got a second opinion because I knew there was absolutely no way a fracture made sense given the pathology. I went to another guy and didn't say it was a second opinion, and he said I just need a steroid injection and would be fine. 2 days later I ran the race with zero pain and clearly didn't have a fracture. As in all walks of life, there are people good and bad at their jobs.

I definitely would avoid the NSAID. Another thing every doctor has prescribed. They make sense if your pain is bad, but not for something this minor. This is like the over-prescribing of antibiotics (which is way worse, obviously): a lot of doctors just do it because they know it's what their patients want and it will help them mentally with whatever they're dealing with.

I guess I fit in a third bucket compared to you guys: I wore the pads both running and non-running. But I had pain just walking around the house. I think you're following a good rule of thumb, which is use aids when there's pain, but don't use them unnecessarily.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

OMR

JT:  Interesting that you only have Morton's toe on one foot.  Regarding the 5K, I don't really know about a time goal.  I won't be fresh going in, and it looks like it could be hot and windy.  As for Advil, I also don't like masking pain, so unless I was also resting, I wouldn't want to take it.

cal:  Nice week for you, the 4-day weekend runs are solid, and it looks like you pace has picked up a bit?  Glad to hear your back is doing better, hopefully it will continue as you adapt to the new training stress.

jhudak:  Bummer on the wisdom teeth, I had two that were severely impacted -- I knew I was in for an experience when my dentist told me he had to give me novocaine so that he could give me novocaine where I really needed it, because if he didn't give me the first round, the second round would have been extremely painful.  Like an idiot, I went golfing that afternoon (was still bleeding on and off).  The other two were out before I knew what happened.

Marby:  Haha, thanks, but I am a very risky investment.  Glad to hear the "pop" doesn't seem to be anything serious.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hey all- Had our daughter's first birthday this weekend (actual birthdayis tomorrow). Been swamped with work. I'm heading up on Friday and will get a recap out read about others. Goal is sub 2:38. Going out first 20 trying to average between 6 and 6:05 and then push to the end. Hill at 22 then mostly flat/down hill to finish. Logging off til Friday. Just too many things to wrap up. May take a bit to get a recap post race cause of driving home and my birthday (I'll be 37) on Monday the 21st and the 20th is Father's day. So busy times.

See you all Friday. I'll post tracking info if people are interested.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

Hey all- Had our daughter's first birthday this weekend (actual birthdayis tomorrow). Been swamped with work. I'm heading up on Friday and will get a recap out read about others. Goal is sub 2:38. Going out first 20 trying to average between 6 and 6:05 and then push to the end. Hill at 22 then mostly flat/down hill to finish. Logging off til Friday. Just too many things to wrap up. May take a bit to get a recap post race cause of driving home and my birthday (I'll be 37) on Monday the 21st and the 20th is Father's day. So busy times.

See you all Friday. I'll post tracking info if people are interested.

Good luck DPS! Btw, too bad your birthday is on Monday - because if you decide to run sub 2:37, you would qualify for Moose Mug, but because you are still 36 on Sat/Sun, you have to run sub 2:36 for that. Think about that - that would put you right to such outstanding runners as Mikkey and Darkwave .

Sure, let us know the tracking link, though I am pretty sure interested people should have no problem going to the web site and finding it Smile.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck DPS! Btw, too bad your birthday is on Monday - because if you decide to run sub 2:37, you would qualify for Moose Mug, but because you are still 36 on Sat/Sun, you have to run sub 2:36 for that. Think about that - that would put you right to such outstanding runners as Mikkey and Darkwave .

The silliest thing I've ever heard of with Moose Mugs (we've had this before because CIM is just a few days before my birthday). Sure, it's a completely made up thing so RB can set whatever rules he wants (which he did clarify when this point was brought up), but if DPS ran a 2:36:55, he got it in my opinion. That 55 seconds is faster than his days beyond his 36th birthday.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

My 40th birthday and grandma's line up exactly soooo....gotta stay in shape a few more years...

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

The silliest thing I've ever heard of with Moose Mugs (we've had this before because CIM is just a few days before my birthday). Sure, it's a completely made up thing so RB can set whatever rules he wants (which he did clarify when this point was brought up), but if DPS ran a 2:36:55, he got it in my opinion. That 55 seconds is faster than his days beyond his 36th birthday.

Rules are the rules JMac, if you do not like it, come up with your own version of the J MAC SUPER MUG based on decimals and partials (you have to provide your own mug though). But if you want to get the Moose Mug, those are the rules - not sure why you still trying to challenge them (IT'S NOT YOURS !!!  Wink

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Your post reminded me of when I nearly hit an 80% AG marathon in 2013. I was really gutted that it was just under and a kind poster (frank2000) tried to make me feel better by pointing out that being 47yo and 3 months at the time meant that it was an 80% AG run. But I wasn’t having it as I’m a bit anal when it comes to running. 

The Moose Mug has your age and race time displayed and you need to BEAT your age...so age 36 and a time of 2:36:55 would not be authorised as that would just look silly.  I’m sorry.  Rules are rules!

DPS - Good luck - your training has been great so let’s see if you can deliver on race day! 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Your post reminded me of when I nearly hit an 80% AG marathon in 2013. I was really gutted that it was just under and a kind poster (frank2000) tried to make me feel better by pointing out that being 47yo and 3 months at the time meant that it was an 80% AG run. But I wasn’t having it as I’m a bit anal when it comes to running. 

I also did clearly state they are his rules so he can do whatever he want. But it's a dumb rule given the entire spirit of it.

I'll create my own: the JMAC Sack. It will be made out of the finest tweed possible. The only rule to win it is you acknowledge that time is, indeed, a continuous and not discrete function. You can store useless medals from 5K races and mugs with rules that make no sense in it. Very practical 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I also did clearly state they are his rules so he can do whatever he want. But it's a dumb rule given the entire spirit of it.

I'll create my own: the JMAC Sack. It will be made out of the finest tweed possible. The only rule to win it is you acknowledge that time is, indeed, a continuous and not discrete function. You can store useless medals from 5K races and mugs with rules that make no sense in it. Very practical 

You just sooo want to win a Moose Mug at CIM this year. Just let it out, we’ll support and encourage you all the way!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I only want one so I finally have something to drink from with liquor store guy. Otherwise, I am now very anti-MM due to its silly rules.