2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

CalBears

I only want one so I finally have something to drink from with liquor store guy. Otherwise, I am now very anti-MM due to its silly rules.

Wow! You are are destroying all the stereotypes about being an American - I was 100% sure you are not allowed to use words stupid, dumb and silly . Are you sure you graduated from American education system? Can't wrap my head around it - you should not be allowed to run in public events if so...

Mikkey - btw, I need to have an access to your training. I think you have an unfair advantage being able to see my training and I not being able to see yours. We should be opened - like, a court system. Otherwise, you should be penalized by 6 minutes 35 seconds off your marathon finish time in Boston.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow! You are are destroying all the stereotypes about being an American - I was 100% sure you are not allowed to use words stupid, dumb and silly . Are you sure you graduated from American education system? Can't wrap my head around it - you should not be allowed to run in public events if so...

Failure to recognize time as a continuous rather than a discrete function fully qualifies as dumb. That's why only smart people get the JMAC Sack!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flyrunnr

Mikkey - btw, I need to have an access to your training. I think you have an unfair advantage being able to see my training and I not being able to see yours. We should be opened - like, a court system. Otherwise, you should be penalized by 6 minutes 35 seconds off your marathon finish time in Boston.

Yeah, Mikey, what kind of training plan are you doing? Asking for a friend… 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah, Mikey, what kind of training plan are you doing? Asking for a friend… 

Wow nice surprise to see you again! I haven’t run anything for a couple of months now busy playing golf…but unfortunately I’ve picked up a PF injury so my London goal time might need to be altered. I’m old so I’m sure a BQ won’t be a problem 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikey i still have Frank on my strava. He mostly bikes these days.

Jmac in NZ a man's sack is his scrotum.

Perhaps you could come up with another idea  💡  😆

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mikey i still have Frank on my strava. He mostly bikes these days.

I don't care how fast I run, I never want a JMAC Sack

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Maybe the JMAC Sack should only be given to folk who fail miserably to hit their goal target which could be an incentive not to give up.

The Sack of shame!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Steve I agree I prefer to drink from the moosemug 

Mikey yes it should be the sack of shame 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Was thinking it but didn't want to say it.

2:52:16 (2018)

Just was reading about Shelby Houlihan's 4 year doping ban. What do you all think of her defense (she says she ate a burrito from a food truck that served a kind of pork which could have contained nandrolone)?  After reading through a bit of the endless pages on LRC on this, I'm skeptical of her excuse.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I will revise the rules that you win the JMAC Sack if you are off your goal time by more than 5 minutes, including too fast for the sandbaggers out there. But don't say you don't want my fine tweed sack. That's just a lie.

JTR - Burritos ruin your races for other reasons. Not for doping.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think the possibility of me earning a moose mug are slim to none. If I ever do I don't think anyone will be around to remember what it is or why it was a thing. What is it? 2 hours plus your age? So a 3:00:00 when I'm 60 is on the bucket list.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just was reading about Shelby Houlihan's 4 year doping ban. What do you all think of her defense (she says she ate a burrito from a food truck that served a kind of pork which could have contained nandrolone)?  After reading through a bit of the endless pages on LRC on this, I'm skeptical of her excuse.

I believer her 100% and I think if she was Carl Lewis it would have been swept under the rug. I'm sure she read the same article from the same national library that says people tested positive and I believe her story. The sample tested was from December 2020. They screwed her chances at earning an Olympic medal which tells me they were scared of her winning. A hair test is going to show you a LOT more detail than a simple urine test will and her appeal was denied probably without any new testing, or focusing on the fact she was willing to submit another test, not that one was ordered. It would be different if the test was positive, she was required to retest, and showed up with a bald head and every spec of hair from her body removed. I believe the testing is just to see if there is a build up which is why there are maximum and minimum limits. I also disagree with the 4 year ban because it is two Olympics. Kick her out of this one and let her come back older in 4 years and try to compete with 22 and 25 year olds.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/nation-world/shelby-houlihan-banned-before-olympic-trials-nandrolone/507-59ae6de5-1b44-48da-bb03-fb8144567b33

Houlihan, who said she had never tested positive for a banned substance before this, said she took several steps to prove her innocence. She provided hair samples and passed a polygraph test. She also cited WADA guidelines for testing in cases like this.

WADA agreed that test proved that there was no build up of this substance in my body, which there would have been if I were taking it regularly," Houlihan wrote. "Nothing moved the lab from their initial snap decision. Instead, they simply concluded that I was a cheater and that a steroid was ingested orally, but not regularly.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I feel like I don't know enough to make an informed decision.  I'm hoping CAS will release a formal decision (not just a press release) as I would love to read it.

But BTC's statements (at least what I've heard of them - I hope to watch the whole press conference at some point) were certainly not convincing.  Especially the whole "I've never heard of it."  If you had asked me three days ago what nandrolone is, my response would have been "not quite sure, but it rings a bell - isn't that a steroid?"  So the idea that Jerry Schumacher had never heard of it just isn't credible to me.

I've personally put Houlihan in the same category as Bolt and Kipchoge.  It's the "I want to believe but I won't be surprised if they are dirty" category.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

From what little I’ve read, it seems as though the logical thing to have done in this particular case was follow-up testing, which would have more definitively demonstrated her guilt or innocence.  At the same time, if pork is known to cause false positives, then it seems to me that that information should be shared with all athletes competing at her level, so that all of this could be avoided in the first place.  Ignorance isn’t a defense.