2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Met DW in person post race!

Long and short....

Achilles flared up between 18.5-19.5. 10min+ official PR. Very happy. Wanted to go sub 2:38 but awesome run for a great day.

Every time I hit my left heal (every 10-15 strides instead of midfoot) got a shooting pain.

More to come tomorrow uploading marathon data now.

AWESOME!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

DPS - once again - congrats on the huge PR! Can't imagine running with that kind of sharp pain for 8 miles - you are definitely tougher man than I am. Honestly, I thought you were a millennial 

DW - I believe it was a day off for you - I saw your workouts, your weekly mileage, that's more impressive than most people on this board (sorry folks Smile ) - so, it was definitely not your day. What is next?

Marby - monster mileage, fast workout paces, 7/11 marathon? Do not see how you can do less than sub 3. Though you can chose JMac Sack, if you prefer Smile

jhudak - nice week - yeah, heat kills all the good stuff...

flavio - I am envious... I really wanna live somewhere in Europe. Spain maybe? My daughter want to go to Finland, for some reason - maybe we should go too - tired of the States Sad Really good running week from you - fast paces - keep it up.

My week was ok - nothing out of the ordinary.

Mo - off

Tu - 4x800 (6:03, 6:03), 2x400 (5:56,5:49), 1x800 (5:49) 400 jog

We - 11.31 @8:52

Th - 11.32 @8:41

Fr - 11.32 @8:42

Sa - 18.06 @8:29

Su - 11.32 @8:56

===

Total: 71.8 miles

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey all, got my race report done, so I'm checking in.

Also my week:

31 miles running, 500 yards swimming, and 2 hours pool-running

M: 1 hour pool-running and streaming yoga.
        T: 8 miles, including a track workout of 400, 3x800, 400 in 88, 3:01, 3:02, 3:01, and 85. Followed with 500 yards recovery swimming.
        W: 4 miles very easy (9:10) and light upper body weights/core.
        Th: Travel.
        Fr: 2 miles shakeout (9:22)
        Sa: 1200m warm-up and then Grandma's Marathon (3:18:54 - split as 1:37:56/1:40:58
        Su: 1 hour pool-running.

Was pretty cool to meet and catch up with DLS post race (as it turned out, we were on the same floor in the UMD dorms).  I've got quite a tally of meeting y'all in person at this point.  Of the currently active US based posters, I've met (in no particular order): DLS, Rovatti, CalBears, Running Problem, Andres, JTReeves, and had a close fly-by with JHudak (he ran past my car as I was parking).  It's a nice collection (Apologies for anyone I've missed)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Speaking of encounters (and old forum posters), I was out in CO attempting a SeattleMax level bad idea around Silverton.  Snuck down to Durango afterwards for a very brief (but enjoyable) Ilanarama meet up.  The have a sweet setup there.  Cant even begin to describe it!

11:11 3,000 (recent)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Catching up finally.

2 Weeks ago:

Monday 8/4 double easy

Tuesday 9 easy

Wednesday: 4:40 am run. Warm up/ 2x(Mile 4x400 Mile)/Cool down

Ran by feel with a fast but very under control workout

5:21 77 78 81 77 5:23

5:24 79 81 78 89 5:31

Thursday: 7.5 easy

Friday: 7/4 Double up at my parents house is 1.5 hours north.  Early morning run.  Much cooler than the +90F it has been the last 3 weeks.

Saturday: 13 easy on a hilly loop

Sunday: 7 Easy

Last week:

Mon 8 easy

Tues 2 warm up/ 4x400 at marathon pace/2 miles at marathon pace/4x200 at 5k pace/2 cool down...just under 10 miles total

Wed 7.5 easy

Thurs 5.75 easy

Fri 4.2 Up in Duluth.  Ran the last major hill on the course and then some striders

Sat Grandma's Marathon

Start was kind of crazy.  The plan was to release people in groups of 5 every few seconds so we (2 guys i was going to run with) were not too worried about getting up to the front.  They sent the elites off, and then they just let everyone else go.  We passed over 500 pepl inthe first 10k most of that in the first mile or 2.  Kind of frustrating.

It is a point to point course with a net 130ft drop.  It was between 53 and 60 degrees the whole race.  Sunny at the start then the clouds rolled in at about mile 12 for me.

First 5 miles are slight down hill.  A little rolling but nothing too bad. Went from 6:08 first mile down to a 6 flat.  6/7 were mostly flat and at 7 I was on 6:04 pace average.  8 and 9 were up hill (not too bad) and ran a 6:07 and 6:07.  Mile 10 long down hill and I ran a 5:54, but it drops about 70 feet (20m) in the mile. 11-18 were mostly just under or over 6 min miles.  At 18.5 I got a shooting pain up my Achilles when I landed on my heel.  I shifted my form getting on my mid-foot and slowed a bit to try to get it back together.  I came through 20 at about 6:01 average up to that point which is where I wanted to be and to push the last 10k. I felt good again on then at about 21 until the finish, if I landed mid foot I was fine. about every 10 or 15th step I came down on my left heel and then get a shooting pain right where my Achilles attaches to my heel.  Finished the end about 6:15 pace the last 10k.  The rest of my body felt tired but able to push but every time I struck my heel I lost a second or two limping for a few steps.  2:39:27.  I was on for running a mid 2:37 or so until the last 10k.  On the whole very happy, and this is my first real marathon since 2013 or 2014.  I feel like I can really aim at sub 2:37 this fall.  Going to be taking a few days off and starting with some every other day running (less than 30 min very slow), lots of ice and drills to take care of the issue.  Going to see how it feels and then either start running again or give it another week.

Got the "B" goal of 2:40 but missed the 2:38 A goal. Was about a 43 second positive split if my math is correct.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DW: I enjoyed reading your race report. I think the nausea and heat probably contributed something, but that general "off" feeling could be due to who knows what. I had a similar feeling before Harrisburg last fall; not sick, not injured, just not quite right. Regardless, you ran a well-executed race and emptied the tank without crashing. Anytime you can pull that off it's something to be proud of!  I hope all goes well with your doctor's appointment.

DPS: Amazing you ran such even splits and with the Achilles issue the last 8-9 miles. Hope you are enjoying the post-PR feeling.

Marby: Reject the Sack, go for the sub 3:00.

Flavio: Solid week and long run. Congrats on being settled in Portugal!

Cal: Mileage is creeping up, looks good. When is the mile time trial?

Just more easy mileage for me. Toe/foot is feeling better, but not ready for speed yet.

Weekly for period: From: 06/14/2021 To 06/20/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
              in ft
              06/15 Morning Run 10.14 16.31 1:23:36 8:15 5:08 558
              06/16 Morning Run 10.15 16.34 1:21:30 8:02 4:59 558
              06/17 Morning Run 8.12 13.07 1:06:11 8:09 5:04 449
              06/18 Morning Run 12.51 20.13 1:40:12 8:01 4:59 728
              06/19 Morning Run 6.26 10.07 56:24 9:01 5:36 486
              06/20 Morning Run 13.13 21.12 1:44:26 7:57 4:57 719

Total distance: 60.31 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DPS - once again - congrats on the huge PR! Can't imagine running with that kind of sharp pain for 8 miles - you are definitely tougher man than I am. Honestly, I thought you were a millennial 

Us millennials are quickly become middle aged folks. There are millennials turning 40 this year!

Nice race again DPS. Hard to have everything go perfect in a marathon.

DW - I am happy to send you a JMAC Sac for your troubles of missing goal by 5+ minutes. The lack of AC in the dorms would have killed me. I need very cold rooms for sleeping, especially before a big race. The start sounds like a disaster from what you and DPS said (probably the only thing NYRR does better than everyone else with their "prove your time" approach for every single corral, even back to the 4+ hour groups). I always assume that there will be idiots who line up wherever they feel like. They get their early so they figure why not go up to the start line.

Finally - I've said your approach to pacing would never work for me, but you hit the nail on the head in your race report: your approach keeps you positive when things aren't going 100%. You don't just give up and say "I'm behind pace, screw it." So for that, you get big kudos from me. Many people at that point just give up and walk: why suffer through the pain when you have no chance of hitting your goal

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I turned 37 today, so....in running "faster than last year" terms....we are getting up there.  My Achilles is currently 109 years old and will be looking for a younger doner.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dps - Happy B'day and congrats on a great race!

dw - nice race and RR.  I always admire your training, race execution, and analysis.  This line cracked me up: "and worked my way up toward the front, stopping when I hit an acceptable concentration of older men in Vaporflies".    Cheers!

OMR

Dwave:  Enjoyed/appreciated the RR, there's a lot in there to contemplate with regard to why your performance wasn't up to your expectations.  Still a well-executed race, though.

dps:  I can't imagine changing my stride for that long and not falling apart!

cal:  Nice week, is the back continuing to cooperate?

JT:  Good to see you're mileage is back up; the speed can wait for a bit.

My week wound up being 26.1 miles.  I decided to rest up a little for Thursday's 5K, and then took a couple of days off after.  The 5K was hot; still 90 degrees at 7pm, and this time of year, the sun is strong at that hour here (it was still light out at 10pm), and there wasn't much shade on the course.  First half was into a headwind, and I could tell very early that I was going to be slow, so decided to focus on "racing well" and keeping my heart rate where I wanted.  It was a small race, without a lot of the regular crowd, so I lined up closer to the front, and was somewhere around 8-10th after about a half mile.  Followed a group of three for a while to block the wind, then decided to pass them and ended up behind another guy through the turn-around, which was at almost the bottom of the descent from a half-mile long bridge.  Once we turned around, the absence of a "cooling breeze" was noticeable and dreadful.  Passed the guy I was following on the bridge.  The next person in front of me was probably at least a quarter mile ahead, and there was no way I was going to catch him.  Wound up in fifth place overall, first in my age group.  The winner posted something that he felt good about his race given the heat, etc.  He is a 2:30 marathoner and with a 32-minute 10K, and finished in over 17 minutes.  So the 21:11 time probably wasn't as dreadful as I still think it was, and I'll instead try to focus on race execution a la Darkwave.

OMR

flavio:  Nice week and long run with the marathon+ pace.

jhudak:  Good to see your mileage coming back.

Marby:  Congrats on the mileage PR, and for feeling great coming out of it!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DLS - happy birthday!

And congrats once again on a race that was just impressive on multiple levels - the pace, the execution, the hanging tough with the achilles.  That is a race that you should be proud of and treasure.  As for the positive split, I personally think that the second half is a slightly slower than the first, so you paced it perfectly evenly, IMHO.

Jmac - I will accept the Jmac sac, and display it in a place of honor.  I'm thinking that missing by 15 minutes (not just 5+) deserves something additional?  Perhaps a Goose mug?

Rovatti - thanks!  Glad I got a laugh.

PJ - good to see you (and sorry I omitted you from my list of forum encounters)

OMR - fwiw, in that heat I think all time goals have to be completely off the table.  Based on your description, it sounds like a well-raced effort.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well, I think the JMac Sac is now officially a thing for good sports, which DW clear is. DW - send me your address via PM and one will be on your way .

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Is this Goose Mig going to become a thing? I really think it should but I’m also a lot bit scared of getting one December 8.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marby

Ash

Marby - monster mileage, fast workout paces, 7/11 marathon? Do not see how you can do less than sub 3. Though you can chose JMac Sack, if you prefer Smile

Marby: Reject the Sack, go for the sub 3:00.

CAL/JTR:  Based on living the training and a 1:28 time trial a couple of weeks back I’ve got myself pegged for about 3:05 in optimal conditions.  Love your optimism but shooting for sub 3 is likely to end in suffering.  The head says split the half in about 94 and finish strong but stay tuned, I might yet be stupid enough to have a crack anyway.  I’ve got a 3:02 and a 3:06 in the collection already so another 3-oh-something isn’t super juicy.  There’s always October if it all goes to shit, so maybe split at 91 and see what I got.  All a bit pie in the sky with two and a half weeks to go, gotta get a few ducks in their columns and to the start line first!

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)