2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DPS - hang in there during the recovery. You did very well, now you can recover properly.

OMR - belated congratulations on your 33rd anniversary. That’s a lifetime together.

Jhuda - excellent week, that tempo is money!

me - Crossed 60 miles this week, first time since 2016.

It was always going to be a difficult week. We've traveled from Porto/Portugal to my parent's home between Sunday and Tuesday afternoon. The temps were in the low 20's C/low 70'sF over there and sub water freezing temps over here in the Southern Hemisphere (South of Brazil, near the border with Argentina). Legs felt like jell-o most of the week but got it done.

Weekly for period: From: 06/28/2021 To 07/04/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
    in ft
    06/29 12x(200 + 90sE) 10.40 16.73 01:26:24 08:18 05:10 427
    06/30 Afternoon Run 9.01 14.49 01:15:26 08:22 05:12 217
    07/01 Alternating miles and 4x400 9.90 15.93 01:16:21 07:43 04:48 92
    07/02 Afternoon Run 9.00 14.49 01:15:24 08:23 05:12 230
    07/03 6mi + 2x downhill strides + 4x 12sec sprints 6.50 10.46 00:57:16 08:49 05:28 420
    07/04 4x (3mi E + 1mi@7:00/mi) 16.01 25.76 02:05:39 07:51 04:53 774

Total distance: 60.82mi

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve, sorry to hear the race got cancelled, hopefully you can find another one to jump into?

Thanks - there really aren't too many good options.  The new date for Wellington is going to be in October which means a new cycle.  None of the other options really work for me, and they're all at least 2 months away.  There are some half options so that may have to do.  Very frustrating given that the increased restrictions were because of potential cases only and it turned out there wasn't a single positive case for the week that Wellington had restrictions that forced the organisers to cancel.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

OMR - congratulations on the anniversary!

JHudak - nice week and good choice on marathons! Hopefully I'll be in that type of shape also (though I have my work cut out for me)

Flavio - immense travel and a big time change and temperature change have to be hard on the body.

My week:

34 miles running and 2:20 hours pool-running.
        M: 1 hour pool-running.
        Tu: 6 miles (9:42) plus leg strengthwork.
        W: Streaming yoga and 6 miles very easy on treadmill (9:42)
        Th: 1 hour pool-running and upper body weights.
        F: 8 miles (9:28) plus some gentle short hills, followed by some DIY yoga.
        Sa: 6 miles very easy (9:21), drills and two strides, and leg strengthwork
        Su: 8 miles very easy on treadmill (9:38) and 20 minutes pool-running.

Pretty boring.  I kept the mileage low and easy so I could prioritize heavy leg strengthwork (squats, split squats, barbell lunges).  This coming week will be more of the same, but a little higher mileage and maybe some hills.   Only exciting thing was that a minor tornado touched down a few blocks north of our house Thursday night.  There was some moderate damage where it touched down (broken windows, downed trees) but we came through pretty much unscathed.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marby

Ash

OMR: Solid start to the HM block.

Jhudak: Building very nicely, nothing like signing up and declaring a target to keep the focus.

Flavio: Great week, way to finish it too with that long run despite international jet-setting, wild temperature fluctuations and jell-o legs.

Darkwave: Glad you dodged that tornado!

Me:

M: Yoga
          T: 17km w/ 8km Moderate & Yoga
          W: 18km w/ 8x 2min Fartlek (4:04/km), 4k Moderate
          T: Yoga
          F: 20km w/ 2x 4mi @MP (4:13/km) off 5 min
          S: Yoga
          S: 23km w/ 3km Moderate, 3km @MP (4:15/km) finale

79km/49mi

The Friday session was a key one.  Was able to do the pace okay (4:13/km, 6:47/mi) but it felt a bit too hot. Same with the MP finish on Sun. Felt more like the final third of a marathon when I was hoping it would be more like the middle third. Some magic needs to happen in this final week of taper. It has left me with reservations about going for it but at this stage the plan is still to see what that pace feels like on the day. Chances are I get to 20mi and then fall in a hole but… life is short. Took a first look at long range weather and I like: 4C at 8am, 12C at 11am.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Mr MattM

Well, clearly I haven't been around in a long while...

Good to see some familiar names!  Who here is planning their first sub3 this fall?  Tell me what race(s) and how your training has been going.  I need to catch up!

be curious; not judgmental

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

OMR AND JHUD- Great to see races getting on the calendar.  Seems like things are almost back to normal with racing for the fall.  Hopefully, things trend in the right direction and fall races are 100% normal.

Flavio-Thanks. Just a perpetual Globe trotter.  I'm jealous.

DW- Tornados are the worst.  Living in the midwest, I have way to much experience with them.  Glad to see you are back at the training.  First week of real training for me is this week.  Pretty easy still.

Marby- If you make it 20 then fall apart you still got me beat by 2 miles.  Good luck.

Me:  Started running regularly again Tuesday.  Looks like i have some low level Plantar Faciitis and shin splints, but i'm doing the right stuff to deal with it and they are slowly feeling better each day.  I think the plantar may be the root cause of a lot of the issues and I was protecting it causing other issues.  The weird thing is I haven't had any arch pain, but had the shooting pain in the heel at night.  i was thinking it was achilles related, but doc said it is plantar as he could push on my arch which didn't hurt but it did cause shooting pains a few seconds later.

Just under 35 all easy miles for the week.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

MrMattM!   You're still alive?!?

OMR

jhudak:  Goal for the half?  Hmm…let’s go with an A goal of sub 1:28, B goal of sub 1:30.  Both may be a bit of a stretch.  Good week for you leading into Pfitz.

flavio:  Well done getting back up over 60 for the first time in a while.  That 7/1 workout (400s & 1M @ T) looks tough…I don’t think I would be able to stay that consistent with the paces.

Steve:  Sorry to hear the race got cancelled due to potential cases; as dps said, hopefully things start returning to normal before too much longer (including over-reactions).

Dwave:  Good to hear you weren’t impacted by the tornado.  Do you have a new goal race in mind?

Marby:  How did those MP workouts feel before the taper?  I’ve found that everthing feels wrong about 1-2 weeks out, after the taper has begun.  Anyhow, probably a good idea to see how things feel on race day and just go with your gut instinct.

Mr. MattM: Hi!

dps:  Yep, hopefully things begin to return to normal this fall, including teaching.

Running Problem

Problem Child

base training for CIM has begun. Sub 3 attempt happening in December. I picked one of those "heat advisory" weeks to start my training for a fall/California winter marathon. I think I'll wait a week before trying to bring back speed work or tempo runs of some sort. Yesterday FELT like a tempo run (165-75 bpm) and I was doing slower than easy pace.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mr MattM

Barely!  Looks like you're still at it, Rovatti!  The expression on my face right now is... envy.

MrMattM!   You're still alive?!?

be curious; not judgmental

Marby

Ash

Marby:  How did those MP workouts feel before the taper?  I’ve found that everthing feels wrong about 1-2 weeks out, after the taper has begun.  Anyhow, probably a good idea to see how things feel on race day and just go with your gut instinct.

Yes, MP has felt easier pre-taper. Then again, I’m not sure if those were at ‘true’ pace or feel, haven’t properly raced one of these since 2016.

Weather looks perfect.

7.00 AM

10.00 AM

1.00 PM

Temperature (°C)

Wind speed km/h

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Yes, MP has felt easier pre-taper. Then again, I’m not sure if those were at ‘true’ pace or feel, haven’t properly raced one of these since 2016.

Weather looks perfect.

7.00 AM

10.00 AM

1.00 PM

Temperature (°C)

Wind speed km/h

Good luck Marby! That looks like nice sub-3 weather.

2:52:16 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Darkwave - Excellent week, boring is great news for us. Kudos for the leg strength work that always helps a lot.

Marby - excellent week! Is your race this weekend? Best of luck if so.

MrMattM - Hi there, I think I remember you from the old forums.

OMR - it was indeed a very tough workout. I knew from the start that my legs were dead and that the prescribed paces weren’t happening, I’m happy to have put the effort in.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

jhudak55

Marby: That weather looks perfect. Good luck!

Marby

Ash

Tried sub 3 pace but it wasn't happening. Had to steady and hold on for 3:07:35.