2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Just got the email about Boston on October 11. That is about 10 degrees warmer on average than the dates in April, with temps in general in the low 60s (unless they're starting very early). Think that's a pass for me. Plus, Mikkey is running London and Cal has disappeared, so the incentive was gone anyway!

I think the plan is to go for Boston 2022 for Mikkey, and if he goes I'll run it as well. We will cross the finish line together holding hands as the clock ticks 1:59:38, beating Kipchoge's INEOS time but still not an official WR due to the massive net downhill 

Dan: Sorry to hear all the bad news; most importantly I hope your daughter will be ok.

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think the plan is to go for Boston 2022 for Mikkey, and if he goes I'll run it as well. We will cross the finish line together holding hands as the clock ticks 1:59:38, beating Kipchoge's INEOS time but still not an official WR due to the massive net downhill 

Dan: Sorry to hear all the bad news; most importantly I hope your daughter will be ok.

Just like the inaugural 1981 London marathon joint winners!

Yeah I would be more interested in 2022 info as it sounds like this years race will be waaaay too much hassle for international runners. Plus if only 63% of Americans are prepared to take the vaccine then that’s surely going to be a problem.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

OMR

Busy few days for me, so I missed the weekly posting.  Lots of good weeks, so congrats to you all.  39.6M for me, with an additional 55 minutes on the elliptical.  Last Wednesday was 40 degrees, so stuff started melting, and then a front came through on Wednesday night, and the high on Thursday was around 7.  All of the slush froze up (tire tracks, sidewalks were a mess, etc.), so Thursday was hard on the legs, and I started having some calf pain (right soleus).  Ran on it on Friday (on the trails, as they were less treacherous than the roads), and it felt OK during but hurt quite a bit after.  It hurt to walk, so I shut things down for a few days, thinking it might have been strained.  Seems to be fine now, but I'm spending a couple of days on the elliptical to start out the week to give it a bit of a break; that and the windchill is supposed to be in the -20s tomorrow.

Dan:  So sorry to hear how this year has gone for you so far.  Best wishes for your daughter, and I hope you get some sleep soon!  (I'm normally not a Packers fan, but I'm also not a Tom Brady fan, so I'm admittedly slightly bummed Green Bay lost.  But just slightly...)

JMac:  You know, there's a pretty awesome 50-mile road race you could run in October instead of Boston. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey all...just been running basic easy miles a few long runs since the beginning of the year.

So far in 2021:

My car was shot up in the cross fire of a car jacking gone wrong in front of my house (we were in bed it was of a neighbor's nephew who had a conceal carry and got into gun fight...luckily no deaths) and was considered totaled amd written off by my insurance.

My mentor, confirmation sponsor in thr Catholic Church and guy who lead me down a path to working in homeless services for over a decade passed away.

We have scheduled appointments to find out if my daughter will need heart surgery (she is 7 months).

And I have not had more than 2 hours of sleep in a row yet....

And my Packers lost. So.....ugh

So....I'll be here once training ramps up in March but things are just basic base miles for now.  Our jobs are safe and we will get through this...but...it's been a year 25 days in.

Nice to see people are getting in miles. See you all more soon.

-Dan

It's a life like t his I try to remind myself exists when I'm upset because of work and literally NOTHING in my life is this hard yet I act like I'm worse off than you. Rough life man. If it makes you feel better the Raiders haven't won a superbowl since I've been alive (literally won it about 2 months before I was born) and the San Jose Sharks can't even find a way to get to the finals regardless of the changes they try to make. Good luck with the daughter. She's the third kid I've know who needs heart surgery at that age which REALLY brings some relief to my life when the doctor says the upcoming kid has four chambers. Most people seem concerned with the gender. I'm more concerned with stuff like "10 fingers, 10 toes, 4 chamber heart, two eyes, etc. because I'm not sure I could handle the hand you've been dealt over the last few months.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pulled my hamstring early last week after a lazy warm up.  I got 4 miles in tonight,  I am confident things will start getting better soon but I am struggling a bit.  I'll start posting when I have something interesting!

Ian5

Dan-Good luck with little un,things like that put life in to perspective.

I also got the Boston email,I'm with Mikkey and really cany see it being attractive to internationals,think I was about 13m under so plenty of leeway but I'm not wasting more money on flights to a race that likely won't happen.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JTReeves - what are your thoughts on Athens (Ohio) Marathon happening?

Myrtle Beach has been pushed back to May 1, which equates to cancelled in my book.  An early May marathon in South Carolina is pretty blech.

There are other possibilities still on (Louisiana, Atlanta), but I'm leaning towards taking a break now and shutting down for a few days, doing a week or two of hills, and then ramping back up for Athens instead.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JTReeves - what are your thoughts on Athens (Ohio) Marathon happening?

Good question. Their FB page still says it's too early to say. In theory they should be able to pull it off if they follow protocols like Northern Ohio and Harrisburg (and many others) have done, but a lot depends on how ambitious the race director is.

The Cheap marathon has limited the race to only New England residents, which fortunately I am. Also they are capping the entry list which bodes well (I think). They mentioned a contingency plan that if they are not able to stage the race on the usual course in Salisbury they are looking at an alternative course in New Hampshire. That would almost certainly be a no-go for me as the elevation profile would change for the worse.

I'm thinking of registering for Glass City in OH as a 3rd option (Apr. 25). They have a covid plan on the website, similar to what Harrisburg, Northern Ohio and Bucks County all had (and they all took place). I worry about about the other 2 not listing any such plans...

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ooh - Glass City is a good thought.  I may grab that one.

And...Glass City is sold out...

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Ooh - Glass City is a good thought.  I may grab that one.

And...Glass City is sold out...

Crap. Let's hope Athens has a motivated RD.

Marby

Ash

I missed posting last week, was down the coast on holiday and then smashed at work on return. Still managed to progress training in the right direction with 72 km/45 mi, adding some moderate/tempo work and hill sprints to the mix. Weather was mostly mild which was great for the running and walks but also had a couple of hotter days for some surf play.

Dan – That’s a shocker of a start to 2021. Yes, you will get through this.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

otter: Do you have any recommendation/insights on the Coffee Milk Marathon in North Kingstown? I'm thinking of registering for that as another April marathon option.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I just read that the NYC Marathon will not be accepting time qualifiers for the 2021 marathon, so I guess that ends that plan. I guess I can enter the lottery but that's going to be nearly impossible with limited slots this year, unless they don't allow international runners.

Looks like it'll be CIM, assuming there won't be restrictions signing up for that.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I just read that the NYC Marathon will not be accepting time qualifiers for the 2021 marathon, so I guess that ends that plan. I guess I can enter the lottery but that's going to be nearly impossible with limited slots this year, unless they don't allow international runners.

Looks like it'll be CIM, assuming there won't be restrictions signing up for that.

JMac, there are so many fall marathons; why limit yourself to NYC and CIM?

Ian5

Jmac-I  thought I'd read that about NYC a while back,I did it in 2019 and hoping to get back in 2022 for my 50th.

We still have no races over here but hoping as a decent proportion get vaccinated that they can start again soon.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39