2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

RP - I have to admit I have similar thoughts.  People who abuse people who don't want the vax (being hesitant and pointing out potential issues does not make one an anti-vax conspiracy theorist) make me want to get it less.  People posting photos on social media of themselves getting the jab...I file those people in the same place as people whose profile picture is of themselves wearing a mask.

Having said that, I'm booked for the vaccine in 2 weeks and I'll wear a mask at the places it has been deemed compulsory because the owners of businesses do not need any more grief right now.

If they extend it to everywhere I won't be doing it outside.  And if they want me to wear it for 8 hours straight in the office, I'll work from home.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

oh yeah.....forgot to add....I can't even train locally because California is on fire and the Federal Government won't maintain their land responsibly.  Just living every moment in "very unhealthy" air or worse every day for almost a week now. We had about 2 days off and I'm not counting the days of 150+. Perhaps the smoke from California should be regulated or mandated to stay in California so I'm protected from it. So if the SARS-CoV-2 doesn't kill my chances at a marathon the smoke will/has. Yeah, I'm tired of all this garbage nonsense. I just want to train for a marathon and hang out with my online friends as if it was 2019. I liked 2019. A lot. I'd even be willing to wear a mask in public spaces because it's worked for reopening everything.

Steve Our state mandated masks for all while indoors. I laugh at the interpretations people have come up with. "Oh we have a door from the hallway so we don't have to wear a mask." Uhh....you have 30 people on the other side of the door. Some of you even have 2-3 people in a cubicle Not exactly isolated. Weird how you don't have to wear a mask now but 12 months ago it was unsafe to work here with a mask on...."

Working from home was temporarily extended for everyone. Even those like me who were never approved. Around the time our governor set a requirement for unvaccinated people to be tested weekly and if they tested positive they had to use sick time to quarantine at home. Vaccinated people get admin leave to quarantine. Last year if you were positive you just kept working from home and didn't come into the office. Weird how the dawning of a new month made so many changes. (rant over?) I like working a lot more because I've been sick with a cough for maybe 2 weeks and I'm 90% sure it is from my youngest coming home from daycare with the cough (probably RSV but I never had him tested. Daycare had 20+ cases in his class) so my health is safer being isolated.  I also HATED hearing my coworkers chat during the day then listen to how much work is behind. " It's been yonks since you've spent more time working than bullshitting. " serious....25% of the work week is non-productive time.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - Oh no, you're very unlikely to die. But if it's like a few friends of mine caught, you will suffer to walk faster and climb small stairs for maybe 10 days and then it will be 4 to 5 weeks until you can resume a semblance of training.

Do you remember forumite Marco83? He caught it in the beginning and IIRC it took him maybe a couple of months until he could run but it was slow for a while.

Do you have a new job lined up for when the vaccine mandate comes for employees in a few weeks?

Also, is there any forecast for when the yellow sky will be gone?

me - Back pain has subsided quite a bit. Shiatsu session this morning was a success, I left feeling 10kg lighter.

Also the running was good, never felt soreness and I was actually pulling the brakes as I was running too fast some of the miles.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio I haven’t been able to get a new job for six years. If I’m down for months it will just be fitting for how life has changed since Covid 19 came into our lives. No idea when the sky will go back to normal. A few people drove about 1 hour south to find some better air yesterday. The forecast is purple or orange through Sunday. No wind to blow it out. 
          what ever happened to Marco? Only comes around when Belfast marathon training starts? I know he had 2 or 3 kids.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

jhudak55

jhudak - there is nothing better for your training than to see steady progress, months after month - that 5K and approx. time of 18:36 is just awesome. And considering your training mileage, you can certainly think about sub 3 - though I am not sure if you ran sub 3 or not - your name is nowhere near in the racing list. What are you training for? Smile Btw, anecdotal evidence (my own Smile - when I ran my PR marathon at 2:48 in 2015, for the next two or three months I ran three 5Ks trying to break sub 18 - the fastest I was able to run - 18:23 - that is my 5K PR Smile. So, be ready to run at least 2:50 based on 18:36 Smile

Cal: Thanks. I've been really happy with how things have been progressing. I have not run anywhere close to sub 3 before, my previous PR is 3:36. I am signed up for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on 11/6. Regarding the 5ks, I have a few more penciled in leading up the the marathon so hopefully I'll get to take my shot at 18:22. 

JT: I did end up signing up for Northern Ohio as a backup. Can you add the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on 11/6 and the Towpath Half on 10/10 to the list?

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio I haven’t been able to get a new job for six years. If I’m down for months it will just be fitting for how life has changed since Covid 19 came into our lives. No idea when the sky will go back to normal. A few people drove about 1 hour south to find some better air yesterday. The forecast is purple or orange through Sunday. No wind to blow it out. 
              what ever happened to Marco? Only comes around when Belfast marathon training starts? I know he had 2 or 3 kids.

I reckon he was pretty busy already, then covid hit and made his running miserable for a little while. I can see him running on Strava though I guess he no longer has the time to post here.

What's funny is that I'm giving you a hard time for not being vaccinated while not being vaccinated myself. And I have a pretty long excuse 😂

In summary, had I remained in Italy I'd be vaccinated around June/July. However I had to leave due to tax reasons before June 30th.

So we traveled for a few weeks over to Portugal where we couldn't be vaccinated due to not being residents.

Then we flew over to Brazil where vaccination had reached our age group, however we couldn't just take one dose (They're giving Pfizer spaced 2 months apart there due to lack of availability, and the other vaccine Coronavac is Chinese and not recognized by the European Union) and there was no Janssen available.

Then we flew to Colombia and now we're here.

But we can't get vaccinated again because we're not residents.

So we registered for the non-resident vaccine queue.

And now we're waiting. The site said wait 15 days and if no response, sorry you suck!

The alternative is to become a resident but that requires a rent contract which will take a while.

I really would like to be vaccinated as soon as possible. I can't buy vaccines however.

I could fly to San Marino or Serbia and get the Russian vaccine but that is also not recognized by the European Union.

I could try to fly to New York, but alas there's a ban on travelers coming from Europe to the US.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio The reoccurring message of 2020 and 2021 to me has been "no you're wrong" with everything. I've just embraced every day knowing I'm doing it wrong AND knowing the approach of "I'm doing it wrong" is wrong. I'm not into flying many places so I stick with the original method. Stay home, stay safe, two weeks to flatten the curve and wear your masks. Healthcare is not a governments responsibility or duty. Marathon training is on hold and I'm reaching a point of just bailing on CIM almost daily. It sucks after getting so good at running to be at a point ready to walk away from it entirely because any time I think I can have joy in I'm reminded I'm doing it wrong and joy isn't allowed.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - you might as well throw my extra races up there as well.

Cow Harbor - 9/18. My goal is sub 36. I don't think a PR is in the cards because a) I haven't shown I'm anywhere near that at this point and b) I did not realize the course is as hilly as it is (400 feet elevation goal for a 10K course sounds fun). Maybe I should go for the course record though by Ryan Hall.

Long Island Half - 10/24. Let's put this one down as a PR (1:15:28). The course looks harder this year because you have to climb a bridge twice. However, my PR was from a time trial so I think it's reasonable I can go out and try to beat that. I'd be happy with anything sub 1:16 though because it means I have a shot at PR at CIM (I ran 1:16:05 in this same half [easier course, but high winds] right before CIM 2019)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Boston news:

Boston Athletic Association Partners with Maurten as Exclusive Gel Nutrition Sponsor of the Boston Marathon & B.A.A. Half Marathon

<article>

MAURTEN GEL 100 & GEL 100 CAF 100 TO BE AVAILABLE ON BOSTON MARATHON ROUTE

</article>

Maurten’s caffeinated and non-caffeinated Gels, Gel 100 and Gel 100 CAF 100, will be available in three locations along the Boston Marathon course (miles 11.6, 17, and 21.5)

Wow... they will be providing quite an expensive stuff on route...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow Cal, that's crazy! I absolutely love Maurten, it's cut in half the amount of stitches/stomachaches I get during my marathons. You're right though, I can't believe they are doing that given how expensive those things are. Maybe it just shows how much we're overpaying at retail costs 

I will say I don't understand their caffeinated version. 100 milligrams of caffeine is so much, who could take 4 or 5 of those in a race? Maybe the idea is you take the normal ones and just take a caffeine one in the later stages for a boost?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

I will say I don't understand their caffeinated version. 100 milligrams of caffeine is so much, who could take 4 or 5 of those in a race? Maybe the idea is you take the normal ones and just take a caffeine one in the later stages for a boost?

Ha-ha-ha! Until they stopped selling it in the US, I was using this gel for all my marathons, 4-5 per race, 100mg of caffeine Smile

Powergel Double Latte

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I probably drink 300 mg in coffee a day, but that just seems like so much for a marathon. Then again, my stomach is one of my biggest limiting factor in all races. You folks with iron stomachs, I'm very jealous! Then again I've never had a muscle cramp in a marathon. I feel bad for those folks who can't seem to get through a race without one.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I just bought 2 boxes or Maurten gels. One CAF one non CAF. I'll be using the non cafs.

In other news...

new shoes! new shoes! new shoes! new shoes! 🎉🎉🎉🥳🥳🥳

Orange Torin 5 and Blueish Paradigm 6.

Altras are the best ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

I basically put them on my feet, tie the shoe laces once and that's about it.

They JUST FIT!

It's a glorious day!

new shoes

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - are you one of these people that has 10+ pairs of running shoes in their house?

CalBears

Flavio - are you one of these people that has 10+ pairs of running shoes in their house?

Ha-ha... I know I am not flavio, but I use 9 pairs currently for this cycle (they all close to be out with most of them with 400+ miles) and 20+ pairs of new ones are waiting to be used for the next 2-3 cycles Smile I just can't ignore some good shoes when they are on a sale... And I have only one pair of Altras - they are probably good but I just do not like zero drop shoes...