2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It would be interesting to see what people think of as a "good course." I get into this argument a lot with people on the golf course because everyone has a different view.

For running, is it scenic? Most flat? Best crowd support? Best fellow runner support? Some turns, but not too many turns? All in the eye of the beholder.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

So I took your point as "a) the weather is awful and b) the course sucks."

I disagree strongly with b). I don't think the Chicago course sucks at all.  I think it's a great course, and one of my favorites.

As for the "weather sucks" that's a stronger statement than my view.  I think Chicago has about the same chance of good weather as Grandmas or Houston, with the added advantage that you've been training through summer and so are acclimated.  The year I ran Chicago it was in the mid-50s rising to low 60s, with low humidity.  Not perfect, but I'd give it an A-, especially since I was acclimated.  And I think that's pretty average weather for Chicago.

I also think that Chicago is a much better weather risk than Boston.

The big difference is that Chicago's weather seems like more of an issue because you have so many other options for fast fall marathons.  That's different from Grandma's, Houston, or Boston..

I would disagree with both of you Smile I think the first half of the course in Chicago is just awesome. Pure joy of running a big city marathon. But it is also my opinion is that the second part is just awful. No people, desolated, open to the sun for miles and miles... I almost dies of boredom - never died from boredom at CIM Smile. And maybe it was a coincidence, but from approximately mile 15, I run that course alone. I am not joking, 45,000 runners and most of the second half I ran it alone - I only started to see "dead" runners closer to the finish line, like 2-3 miles before the finish. And I ran 2:53. That was another reason I almost died from boredom... But the reason I would run Chicago again - it was the place where we lived for the first 5 years after we moved from Russia, we love the City, we have a lot of good memories and friends there. So, yes, if I could, I will - and I do not care about weather - it will be easier for me to score higher AG place in case of bad weather Smile.

Yes, Mikkey told me he is missing London and won't be able to qualify/run Boston 2022 - so, for me that means I probably won't run Boston 2022 - too much hassle to run one race - expensive, far, not PR race (bad weather?) - plus, there are plenty of options to run spring marathon here, near my place - I think I might run 2 or 3 marathons for cheap here, sleeping in my bed before the race, instead of running one Boston that will take a lot of emotions from me.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

It would be interesting to see what people think of as a "good course." I get into this argument a lot with people on the golf course because everyone has a different view.

For running, is it scenic? Most flat? Best crowd support? Best fellow runner support? Some turns, but not too many turns? All in the eye of the beholder.

I would not be original - CIM !!! Best running weather, great fellow runners support. Minimal amount of turns, do not lose concentration because of that. Did I mention the best weather? Simple logistics, not crowded but big that you will never walk run alone!

But, of course, I am a little bit joking - I totally understand that all my excitement is a little bit subjective as CIM is a local marathon for me - just like for JTR, if I want, I could just drive to the course from my home, it would take me 1 hour 20 minutes only. We spend the night in Sacramento only because my family likes to do that, likes to wake up at 7-8 am and get down from the hotel to the finish line - yep, we usually make a reservation in Hyatt that allows to see the finish line from some rooms Smile

Mikkey: Glad to hear things are getting better for your foot issues! Boston 2023 it is then.

Too bad the Boston 2022 get-together is off, but kind of exciting as now I can think of what race I can run next spring. 

What makes a good course: my top criteria - flat!  It's a pity that Erie is in early September. It's the most perfectly flat course I've seen and has beautiful scenery/location but has a high risk of hot weather.

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

26.2 miles long with well organized/operated/functional aid stations (enough volunteers, drinks, and gels) and good weather is about all I need. Flat, uphill, rolling hills, packed with people or not a spectator around. At this point I've learned the expectations I have are 100% wrong in life so I just set them so low it wasn't much effort to be so wrong about something so simple.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Where's weatherboy when we need him? I'm convinced it's not possible to find a good spring marathon weather-wise. It's just too volatile! Boston should be good but we know how that's turned out.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Where's weatherboy when we need him? I'm convinced it's not possible to find a good spring marathon weather-wise. It's just too volatile! Boston should be good but we know how that's turned out.

I'll bet $50 you'd argue about the course not being great if someone found "a good spring marathon weather-wise." You might also disagree with what "spring" means without telling us "March to June" and I'm going through this exact situation at work. People expect others to know what THEY want and no one can expect people to communicate what THEY want.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

There are 2 marathons near me in March - Modesto marathon, avg temp is 55oF, totally flat, very boring, about 600 marathoners field. Oakland marathon - didn’t run that yet, used to be a little hilly but they changed the course and most of it now goes on a Bay Bridge trail - a small bridge that goes across the Bay along the bigger brother - Bay bridge. Still not ideal flat-wise but better than before. Avg temps 56oF, 1000 runners field, not sure about wind. Will try to run the trail bridge and see for myself. There is another marathon - The Avenue of the Giants - beautiful place, 95% goes inside the Redwood tree forest, about 80% of the course is covered by trees shade, first half might be a little bit hilly but ok, second half basically flat but you will get some sun at the last few miles. I ran it twice, one of the races was 2:55 - I liked it a lot. Good temps for May - both times I ran was about 55. The minus - not too many volunteers and during the second half you have to care about recreational Half marathoners.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: Glad to hear things are getting better for your foot issues! Boston 2023 it is then.

Too bad the Boston 2022 get-together is off, but kind of exciting as now I can think of what race I can run next spring. 

What makes a good course: my top criteria - flat!  It's a pity that Erie is in early September. It's the most perfectly flat course I've seen and has beautiful scenery/location but has a high risk of hot weather.

Thanks!  Yeah I’m also looking at next Spring as I can’t defer my London place as it’s a Good for Age bib. I prefer flat as well and might consider Rotterdam if I get into decent shape again.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - I've found a lot of success with my plantar fasciitis / Achilles issue with eccentric heel drops, massage gun, and the Strasburg sock. It's still a complete pain every morning getting out of bed, but it's improved enough that it doesn't bother me when running (this started a year ago at this point). I assume you're doing all of that but just throwing it out there.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RovattiJTReeves, any other north-easterners - you guys OK?  Crazy news about the flooding.  We got hit too, but nothing like you did.

(Jmac - I'm concerned about you too, but you're posting so I know you're OK...)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

RovattiJTReeves, any other north-easterners - you guys OK?  Crazy news about the flooding.  We got hit too, but nothing like you did.

We're fine, thanks for asking. I got about 2.8 mi into my run this morning (5 mi out and back) and the road was totally flooded over by the river (Housatonic). I've never seen it flood to that degree or seen the river that high. So I had to double back, but no big deal. Also had some detours on the way to work and back due to roads being flooded. Overall just minor inconveniences; I feel for the folks who got hit really hard.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

We were lucky too. It seems like most people in Queens with a basement saw that basement get flooded. We live in Manhattan, but actually live below street level in a duplex. We have a small garden outside that level, and saw the water actually going slightly above our door's threshold, but it never entered somehow. We're lucky it drains so well. Friends/coworkers of mine were not so lucky.

As usual with weather, sometimes its the luck of the draw. La Guardia saw 6.9 inches of rain. JFK, which is only 10 miles south of LGA, saw only 2.7 inches.

We're fine (and thanks for asking). On the 18th floor in a pretty solid building, we just watched a crazy downpour out the window (over 3" in an hour!).   I had no idea of the havoc until I saw pics and videos from friends.

OMR

Glad to hear you east-coasters are ok.  I was planning on dropping in to ask this evening, but I see Dwave beat me to it.