Another Newbie (Read 896 times)

Just wanted to say "Hey". A friend of mine pointed me here. I told him I'd love to run a Marathon some day and he said, 'why don't you run Chicago with me'? Before I knew it I'd signed up. Did I mention I have no running experience? Oh well, gotta start someplace. Wish me luck.
      Welcome! Wow. You have an ambitious first goal! Do you have a training plan picked out already? There are a number of decent ones out there. I hope to run a marathon someday but it won't be this year. How was your first run? Glad to meet'cha! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Princess Cancer Pants

Hey, Chris...first I must say how happy I am to see a fellow Cheesehead on board (I was born and raised in WI and moved to MI when I was 20--13 summers ago). Backroadrunner/Eryn is also planning to train for a Chicago Marathon. I think she is contemplating next year's. Maybe someday I will feel up to that challenge, too. Right now my goal is next year's 5/3 Riverbank 25k in Grand Rapids, MI. After that a full marathon might not seem so daunting a goal. Nice to have you here! Smile Kirsten

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

I plan on using Hal Higdon's novice plan. It's 18 weeks long so I figure I'll just add three weeks of lighter running at the beginning to get me started and use up all the time I have. I hope I'm not being too ambitious, but we'll see. My first run yesterday was okay, but I've got a long way to go. Nice to see another Wisconsinite here too.

Princess Cancer Pants

A friend of mine swears by Hal Higdon's training plans. I think she is going to do the novice level half-marathon plan and someday work her way up to the novice marathon one. I recently purchased "The Complete Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Guide to Running 5Ks through Marathons" by Bob and Shelly-lynn Florence Glover. It got pretty decent reviews on Amazon, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I really need to start adding some speed and hills work to my workouts, since I am registered for my first 5k in a month. k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown