How do you use your GU for long runs? (Read 219 times)

I generally order the GU variety pack off runningwarehouse.com and have always been curious as to why they make GUs without caffeine. On some of my longer runs (~14 miles or so) I will generally just use one packet that contains caffeine. However as my runs get up there for marathon training I was wondering if there was any sort of science behind the strategy of using the GU's effectively. For example, would a nutritionist suggest I take a packet without caffeine first during a long run then one with caffeine later in that same run?

Obviously, I will have time to figure this out by trial and error throughout the 18 week training plan, but was curious what others do.

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I only take GU in training to make sure there are no surprises on race-day.  Otherwise, I generally don't use anything for long runs but the post-run recovery drink "Ultragen" (which I can recommend).

I've never used caffeine for a run because it unsettles my stomach.  Don't generally use it before a run either -- though on non-run days I drink plenty of caffeine.

When I do use GU on training runs, I try to keep to a similar schedule as I do in the marathon: which I usually try for 4xGU, but had thought of increasing that to five.  Miles: 6, 12, 18, 21, generally.  For a 14mi tempo run I might use one GU -- but mostly just to try out the flavor against my stomach [my food sack likes Lime and hates pretty much anything "berry"].  For a 20miler: 6,12, 16

But generally I subscribe to the camp that says: train your body to do without.  Rather than the: maximize your training by supplementing.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

mikeymike

Like stadjak, I rarely bother with gu in training and only occasionally take one just to make sure my stomach remembers how to absorb one while running kinda fast, just to make sure there are no big surprises on race day. But in my case it's not so much to train my body to do without as much as they're just not necessary.

Runners run

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

For long training runs, I use GU if the run is more than 2 hours. For those, I take a GU after about 2 hours (depending on where I am relative to a water source) and maybe another one an hour later if I'm going really long. I usually keep to non caffeinated or half caff for these runs. I wait until after 2 hours because I want to train myself to go that long without needing extra fuel.

For the actual marathon, I take GU about every 5 miles. I start with the half caffeinated flavor (love the salted caramel) for the first few and then switch to full caff (expresso love) for the last couple.

I also use GUs for half marathons and at mile 5 on 10k races.

No Talent Drips

I typically just take a little bit of Gu from one packet and wipe it under my nose before each long run. By the end of a full marathon training build-up, my Gu and I are in sync.

Always caffeinated.

Dei Gratia

Slo

One or two on a long training run prior to a marathon otherwise I don't use them.

#artbydmcbride

I typically just take a little bit of Gu from one packet and wipe it under my nose before each long run. By the end of a full marathon training build-up, my Gu and I are in sync.

Always caffeinated.

ew

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Like earlier posters, I generally don't bother with gu if the training run is only 20mi or less.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

hectortrojan

I take one gel on 2-2:30 hr run because I find it convenient to carry gels. On longer runs, I eat energy bars.

About why companies are making gels without caffeine; on few long events, I take three gels every hour and I certainly do not want to have that much caffeine.

Rod Staples

Gu recommends every 45 minutes myself on a Marathon course I did it every 30 minutes.  I want to maintain the same energy all the way through with no loss of energy.  Hydration for me is the key!

seeEricaRun

Awesome

It's been a while, but I never bothered for anything less than 15 miles. After 18 miles I abused them like an addict willing to do anything to sustain my high. By mile 23 of my races I was coated all over in a thin, sticky sheen, so I switched to Swedish Fish, jelly beans and stale (open the package a few days prior) caffeinated Shot Blox. I stuck them in the corner of my mouth and let them melt. There was only a little bit of drooling.

kilkee

runktrun

what's the SPF?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

DoppleBock

Speaking to one of the owners of V-Fuel ... He said they only put amount of caffeine that aides the digestion process which is very little = 10mg in a 100 calorie gel.

I really like the V-Fuel ... They use real organic ingredients.  I have not bought any in a long time (Not been running), but a quick search through the internet I would always find one of their runners with a 20% off coupon on a blog.

Still a little more expensive than GU or Powerbar - Unless you have moved up to GU Roctane or Roctane Ulra, then the 20% off coupon made it much less expensive.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !