To Gu or not to Gu (Read 765 times)

FSBD

Now that I am used to them and know what my stomach can handle, for training runs over 18 miles I will take one if I go as far as 24 I might take two. 

For Half Marathons I will take one at the midpoint

For fulls I will take one every 5 miles.  

When I was first getting into the distance running thing I would take them more often, A) to test them and how I handled them, B) because I felt like then helped when I was new to runs over 13 miles.  

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Feeling the growl again

I never use them for races shorter than marathons.  But it is somewhat time dependent too.  For a marathon I take four usually but I am out there for about 2.5 hours or a bit more.  During a half I don't think they would help decently trained people and personally I would not want to try to eat at that effort level anyways.

In the marathon the goal is just to get enough extra in to get to the finish, so I space them out more.  First one at 7-10 miles and anout every five miles after that...one of hem is usually for a sugar hit during a random bad patch.

For ultras external fuel is way more important.  I have yet to finish a 50 miler due to either leg or back issues but by taking gu every 20 minutes I have never felt low on energy.

I only train with fuel if it is an ultra focused run intended to be 25 miles or longer.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've never taken a gel before. Didn't seem to miss it when I ran my HM. Now that I'm training for a marathon I guess I have to start thinking about this.

Should I start taking a gel during my long runs, just to start getting a feel for how they affect me? I haven't really thought about how to make this part of my training.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't feel I need anything for any run shorter than a marathon.  For the 26.2, however, I kind of wish I could get just Koolaid or juice.  Recent info makes me doubt that the salts in Gatorade are beneficial.

Buelligan

If you need GUs during your run, for God's sake don't throw the fucking empty foil packages on the ground.  They'll still be around long after you're dead and gone unless someone better than you picks them up.

wearing fuel belts with about 10 gu paks a peice.

Sounds like every other newbie runner or trigeek I come across on our local trails.  But I don't get bent out of shape about how others choose to fuel, hydrate, and dress.  Hell, I'll even forgive the occasional woody woodpecker helmet.  To each their own.

Back on subject - I prefer chews to gu, usually a couple of bites every hour or so on the run.  If I'm biking I munch more often.  Pedaling is easier on the stomach than pounding.  And no more bars.  Ever.

xor

I can handle chews (and actually like them) when I'm running ultras.  But when I'm running marathon pace or faster, they are a pain to get out of the package and also to chew.  For me.  As chews go, my favorite by far is the honey stinger chew.  Which is weird, because the honey stinger gel is my least favorite.  Anyway, calories are calories... do what works for you.  Chews, gels, those goofy cardboard waffles, sportsdrink, tabasco chocolates, etc.  Just know that they aren't cans of popeye's spinach.  If you have already bonked your marathon, they aren't likely to make you magically recover and make up all that time you lost.  It's way more about proper pacing.

I use them about every 5 or six miles.  Having said that, though, if I went out for, say, an 8 mile run, I wouldn't have one. 

Be aware that Gu AND Gatorarde isn't especially a great combination.  But Gu and water is.  Or just plain Gatorade (or it's equivalent)

There are some interesting articles on hydration, etc here.   http://www.cranksports.com/ePower/hydration.asp

Be aware, this IS a commercial site, so, take everything with a grain of salt (pun intended)

Jeff

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

This area is a work-in-progress for me as well...however, I do know I prefer gels instead of chews because I don't like stuff you have to chew during a race.  It's just easier to slurp the gel and let it dissolve in your month as you go along.  Lately, I've been using them only on runs longer than 10 miles, usually taking one for every hour that I'm out there.  For races, I'll take one 15 minutes before and then every 45 minutes after.

oriwoi

fellrnr

I was wondering if anyone has any good info on when to use food (Gu's etc) during training and races.  I have run a couple of half marathons and I normally would take a Gu at about the 1 hr point, and I was doing the same thing during training runs that lasted over 90mins.  Since my last half, I haven't been using the Gu's during training runs and I don't really feel like I'm missing them.  I understand the "practice how you race" school of thought, but I have a suspicion that there is more to the story.  Any input would be appreciated.

I would not expect you to need a gel in a half marathon, but that would depend a little on your pace. Here's my suggestions for the marathon:

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/When_to_eat_Energy_Gels_in_the_Marathon

And a comparison of some of the Gels available - http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Comparison_of_Energy_Gels

(The science behind the comparison - http://fellrnr.com/wiki/The_Science_of_Energy_Gels)

I would not expect you to need a gel in a half marathon, but that would depend a little on your pace. Here's my suggestions for the marathon:

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/When_to_eat_Energy_Gels_in_the_Marathon

And a comparison of some of the Gels available - http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Comparison_of_Energy_Gels

(The science behind the comparison - http://fellrnr.com/wiki/The_Science_of_Energy_Gels)

Thanks for sharing this. But I'm wondering about:

The general recommendation is to consume 30-60g of carbohydrate per hour as 8-16 oz drink every 10-15 minutes for optimum performance[1].

I know that you list some problems with this approach. But the biggest problem sounds like the risk of hyponatremia.

kcam

I only use Gu during marathons.   I don't take them with me but just grab one or two where ever they hand them out on the course.  My last race I grabbed two packs at mile 17, took one immediately and took the second around mile 21.  I don't know if they help me or not.

I don't feel I need anything for any run shorter than a marathon.  For the 26.2, however, I kind of wish I could get just Koolaid or juice.  Recent info makes me doubt that the salts in Gatorade are beneficial.

What recent info are you refering to?

I have a feeling that that statement is correct if you have a clause at the end of it. 
                              For example....

Recent info makes me doubt that the salts in Gatorade are beneficial if you're running less than "x" (4) hours

I'm not sure that Koolaid or juice would have any added benefit over Gatorade.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

mersault

Perhaps some people may be taking the GU thing a bit too far. Alterning water and gatorade at every aid station always worked fine for me even in marathon. I'm not sure if taking gu would have changed anything.