Track question (Read 131 times)

Birdwell

On your standard 400 meter track, how much longer are the outside lanes compared to the inside lane?

I got shoved to the outside lanes (7 and 8) due to a team practice on 1-6. I kept the same count as if I'd been on the inside (I.e., 4 laps per mile) but I'm curious how much farther I actually went, if at all.

I figured someone here has to know.

thanks!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

MrH

It depends on the track. Lane widths vary, but 42 inches, 1.07m, is a common HS standard.

So for each lane out you move from Lane 1 you travel (2 x PI x 1.07 x # of lanes) meters. So in lane 7 you run an extra 40.3m or 10% per lap.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

bpangie

Milermeter.com. Find your track and zoom in... Or use that calculator gilbert posted... Or just count it as normal mileage and know in your heart you did more. Haha.

Birdwell

Here's a handy little calculator.

That's a fantastic tool. it's going in the bookmark files.

Thanks!

DaBurger

Or if you really want to get picky, measure the stagger for the 400m on the track.

Know thyself.

Latent Runner

Or if you really want to get picky, measure the stagger for the 400m on the track.

Measuring the stagger also eliminates messing around with all of the other calculations; the length of the stagger IS the difference between lanes.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Walk-Jogger

Here are some numbers I have in a spreadsheet that I calculated last year, for the outdoor university track I sometimes train on. I think these numbers are from the web page RGilbert posted the link to. The lanes are 4 feet wide; your track lanes may be less than that. 

Lane Lengths For 400 Meter Track W/48" Lane Width and Inside Curb:

1 - 400.03 Meters
                  2 - 407.02 
                  3 - 414.67 
                  4 - 422.40 
                  5 - 429.96 
                  6 - 437.68 
                  7 - 445.31
                  8 - 452.95

Lane 4 is interesting with 48 inch lane widths - 100 laps (99.89 actually) is a full marathon (42195 m) in lane 4. Someday when I have nothing better to do I'm going to run those 100 laps . . .

Retired &  Loving It