Pain in back of knee towards inner thigh (Read 53 times)

Haleyt

thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Some background: I'm 28 and approx. 100 pounds. Prior to starting to run I did some mountain biking and hiking. I'm fairly new to running. I started running back in January and have been gradually increasing distance.

I have recently been working on upping my long runs by about a mile each weekend along with 3-4 days of running about 5 miles or bike riding. This week I was about 5 miles into my planned 11 mile run when I felt a pain the the back of my right knee towards my inner thigh. I kept running for a minute but it didn't seem like it was going to go away. Once I stopped it seemed like it felt worse and caused me to kind of limp while walking since it hurt to filling extend my leg. I've taken a couple of days off but I still keep occasionally felling the pain if I having moved my leg recently. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions? I'm just not sure if I should just stay off of it for a few days or ice it?

I'm having the same thing. It's because you are tight in other areas, and most likely have a strain in your hamstring. Don't stretch your hamstring, just heat massage then ice. You should be able to stationary bike cross train until it heals. Use a roller and roll out your calf, IT band, glute, and hips to see what's the main culprit. You can stretch those muscles. In addition, it may also be back tightness. Give your body a chance to recover, and get on that rehab. You'll be fine in a few days Smile

Haleyt

I'm having the same thing. It's because you are tight in other areas, and most likely have a strain in your hamstring. Don't stretch your hamstring, just heat massage then ice. You should be able to stationary bike cross train until it heals. Use a roller and roll out your calf, IT band, glute, and hips to see what's the main culprit. You can stretch those muscles. In addition, it may also be back tightness. Give your body a chance to recover, and get on that rehab. You'll be fine in a few days Smile

Thank you so much for the response! That's what I was thinking but I was afraid it was something worse. I have taken a few days off of running and have been foam rolling and it seems to be helping.