1 day to go (to Boston) (Read 3437 times)

The thing about Boston is this, to run it properly you will probably get passed by hundred's of runners the first 16 miles of the race. Stay constant, start passing people between miles 16-21. Then from 21 in, you should pass those hundreds of runners that went to fast. I passed a boatload of runners from 21-26.2. I was holding back as I didn't want to run too fast and blow my sub-3. But it definitely made for a fun last 5 miles.

The downhill initial miles, the narrow roads filled with a sea of similarly-talented runners, and the excitement all add to the difficulty to hold back. That was my experience. In my last go (2006) I aimed for a 3:05 finish running splits of (1:30/1:36 = 3:06)

Once the gun goes off, it's is so hard to hold back. Harder to imagine that slower first half could net a better finish time.

And for those counting at home, 97 days to go.

bhearn

I would love to negative split & PR simultaneously the Boston Marathon

Can you fix us up one of these for 2:55:00?

ChakaKahn also mentioned 2:55 -- I gave him the raw numbers to scale, but since you both want 2:55, here it is (with a 10-second cushion):

Or if you want to print a pdf:

http://www.hearn.to/boston255.pdf

If anyone else wants to try this scheme with a customized pace, here are the raw numbers in seconds, for 2:59:50.

Segment Segment seconds Elapsed seconds Segment pace

1 420 420 420

2 408 828 408

3 405 1233 405

4 400 1633 400

5 421 2054 421

6 411 2465 411

7 411 2876 411

8 420 3296 420

9 409 3705 409

10 419 4124 419

11 419 4543 419

12 410 4953 410

13 412 5365 412

13.1 45 5410 411

14 365 5775 410

15 420 6195 420

16 396 6591 396

17 425 7016 425

18 422 7438 422

19 410 7848 410

20 420 8268 420

21 436 8704 436

22 394 9098 394

23 399 9497 399

24 400 9897 400

25 399 10296 399

26 406 10702 406

26.2 88 10790 402

The way this was generated was as follows:

1. I started with one of the Boston-specific websites that generates custom course-adjusted pacebands

2. I generated the numbers for 30 seconds longer than my planned time

3. I reweighted the numbers for an even first/second-half split

4. Finally, I manually took off those 30 seconds I added, from the last 5 miles

The previous two years I used the same strategy, with a 1-minute negative split, as I recall. Cutting it so fine for the sub-3, I tempered it a bit to 30 seconds.

bhearn

Bob, thanks for the reference to Fitzgerald's blog. Good recap on a monumental shortfall. You can see how disappointed he was in his first Boston. He plans to "go crazy" with downhill preparation. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

But did you read the last comment exchange? Looks like I talked him into following my pacing plan next time. 

I got a lot of use out of his blog; unfortunately it's since changed formats, and doesn't have the same flavor.

mikeymike

The downhill initial miles, the narrow roads filled with a sea of similarly-talented runners, and the excitement all add to the difficulty to hold back. That was my experience. In my last go (2006) I aimed for a 3:05 finish running splits of (1:30/1:36 = 3:06)

Once the gun goes off, it's is so hard to hold back. Harder to imagine that slower first half could net a better finish time.

This is the part I think that's hard for someone who's never done it to imagine.  Even while you're going out too fast on the downhill early miles, you're utterly convinced that you're not--that you're just jogging along.

I eventually ran sub 2:55 at Boston last year, but it was like my 4th try.  The thing that finally allowed me to do it was not caring very much.  I was so not psyched up for the race and my training leading up to it that I was actually able to take it easy enough early.

I'm glad I'll be watching this year...I'll root you guys (and Hall and Meb) on from somewhere in the Newton hills.

Runners run

Are we there yet?

bhearn - thx for the band

What a boost to pass people late in a marathon!! I've experienced this and can report it is quite a rush!!

HermosaBoy

I am in for Boston #4.  Skipped last year after having run Houston.

My goal is for a 1 second PR over Houston...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I'll be there.  This will be my 6th - I ran in '98, '99, '00, '02 and '05.  I really like the Boston course and atmosphere but I dislike the Boston logistics and overall cost.  I'm hoping to at least come close to a course PR (2:58 back in '00).  I won't be doing anything special as far as downhill training but I do run hills as part of my regular training.

Alas Ken, the start time has changed since your last appearance. I many aspects, I found the 10 am start more favorable than Noon. Much less waiting in Hopkinton

I though last year went a lot better than '08. The bus ride was quicker (about 45-50 minutes). And there wasn't that much waiting around. I think we got to Hopkinton a little before 8. Hung out for a little, changed, then walked the 0.7 miles to the corrals. Now if its raining, that will be a different story...

There's a spreadsheet floating around out there made by gmaclin that I used for '09 and worked rather well.

I was in corral 3 last year and it was a while before I felt free to run my own pace. I think for the first 1/2-3/4 of a mile I was in the 7:00-7:15/mile pace on my Garmin. And that's with the cliff drop after the start.

Are we there yet?

I was in corral 3 last year and it was a while before I felt free to run my own pace. I think for the first 1/2-3/4 of a mile I was in the 7:00-7:15/mile pace on my Garmin. And that's with the cliff drop after the start.

Question?? If I have an earlier marathon time than the one that I submitted to register.. do you recommend sending it to the BAA for a corral bump or can it be used for 2011??

bhearn

Question?? If I have an earlier marathon time than the one that I submitted to register.. do you recommend sending it to the BAA for a corral bump or can it be used for 2011??

Yes, absolutely send them a faster time if you have one. It can still be used again for 2011 if it's within the time window.

I'm looking forward to a bump from corral 3 last year (3:04:24 qualifier) to, hopefully, corral 2 (2:59:38).

I'm in for my first Boston this year (only my third marathon).  I qualified in 3:05:58 at Steamtown (Scranton, Pa) this past fall, and am thinking I will aim for a similar time at Boston.  I think I am / will be potentially a bit faster, however, I would have to run very hard to go sub 3.  And at this point I think I would rather just enjoy the experience and energy of the race, my first really big marathon, rather than try to notch a new PR.  There will be plenty of other races later for that.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

First Boston. First marathon. Goal is a modest sub 4:00. Thanks for providing this thread so I can at last try to avoid a 6 mile death march. Luckily, I get to train a lot on the actual course, Stu's 30K, the Derry race and countless hilly routes.

I'll be there. First Boston for me!

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

DanMoriarity

Have to admit I'm jealous of you guys going to Boston this year. I'm not, though I've run it a couple of times in the past. I've been working on a web page on the history and tradition of the Boston marathon that you folks might find interesting...  www.squidoo.com/boston_marathon 

Still some work to do, an Amby Burfoot profile is coming next, with Bill Rodgers on tap after that.

Good luck to all of you who are running, may the weather be 50 degrees with a strong tailwind