1 day to go (to Boston) (Read 3437 times)

A Saucy Wench

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Yup. 60 days. And my first injury. Yay me. Damn peroneal tendon.

Eight weeks to go.  I'm down to two long runs left on my training schedule, a race or two and a three week taper.  It will be Patriots Day before you know it, hang in there gang.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Eight weeks to go.  I'm down to two long runs left on my training schedule, a race or two and a three week taper.  It will be Patriots Day before you know it, hang in there gang.

Please stop reminding me of how soon the marathon is! I'd rather have a few more weeks.

Are we there yet?

BOOOO! Make a two week taper!

BOOOO! Make a two week taper!

My last long run is scheduled for somewhere around 28-31 miles, so three weeks works well.  For last October's Mohawk Hudson River Marathon my legs felt pretty damned dead until two or three days before, so two weeks might not have been long enough.  And it's really tough to train to race a Spring marathon in New England, so Boston for me is a fun run / victory lap for my Fall effort.  I haven't picked a Fall marathon for this year yet, but if I do that's the one I'll "race".

And your legs are 17 years younger than mine Mr Kahn, someday a three week taper may make sense to you.  

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Are we there yet?

And your legs are 17 years younger than mine Mr Kahn, someday a three week taper may make sense to you.  

Tough to say. I guess I would need the more experienced guys to chime in about length of taper in correspondence to age. I will say that a 30+ mile long run seems a bit over the top. Good luck Boston!! Let's hope for some nice weather.

xor

The length of the taper is less important than how you use it.  The older you get, the more you know about utilization.

Are we there yet?

The older you get, the more you know about utilization.

Like utilization of the elevator & escalator?

xor

It depends on whether you are trying to get up or go down.

I leave the rest as an exercise for the reader.

Kimmie

I just found this thread.  I've been posting in the Boston Marathon group here.

Lots of valuable info.... my training has been really  bad this go around.   I'm going to hopefully get some more long runs in before taper time.

This will be my first Boston.  I hope to be able to find one of those customized pace bands.

kcam

Tough to say. I guess I would need the more experienced guys to chime in about length of taper in correspondence to age. I will say that a 30+ mile long run seems a bit over the top. Good luck Boston!! Let's hope for some nice weather.

A three week taper I think would be way too long for me but I've never run a 30 miler either, if I did I might need a three week taper.  20miles max three weeks out then normal mileage until the last 4 days before the race.  Then maybe cut the mileage in half.  Sunday before the race 3 miles max.

I have another taper question. I'm injured but hoping to get back to running in a week or so (unless Doc says otherwise Friday). My longest run has been 15.5. I missed this past weekend's 18 miler and will likely have to bow out of Stu's 30K on 3/7. Basically I'll need March to ramp back up and just get to 18 and hopefully be able to run my 20 with my training group 3 weeks beforehand. But them I have no idea what to do with the three weeks after that, especially coming off an injury. This is a little horse-cart thinking but since we're on the topic I thought I'd ask. I'm 41 and (hopefully) running my first marathon. Had hoped for sub 4 but with the injury I may be looking at a shitty slog.

Right on Hereford...

Why do so many runners frown on a 3-week taper?

If you've been preparing well for a marathon, there will be a lot of fatigue in your legs as you approach the race. The purpose of the taper is to allow full recovery and hopefully peak fitness on race day.

I feel that my 3-week taper really helped last fall before running a big PR in Chicago. By race morning I felt fresh and ready to rip.