1 day to go (to Boston) (Read 3437 times)

Why do so many runners frown on a 3-week taper?

How about a 3 month taper? That's what I am trying. Wink

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

A Saucy Wench

I'm planning on starting my training the first of april.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I'm planning on being completely f*#ked on race day.

And hat trick.

bhearn

It's worth noting that Pfitzinger plans feature a 3-week taper. However, some people also complain that it's not enough of a taper, in terms of intensity -- e.g., the toughest VO2Max workout in the whole plan is a week and a half before the goal marathon.

Kimmie

10 day taper for me.

I've always thought that the 3 week tapers were more for high mileage folks and that's never been me.

xor

Nothing holds a candle to a nice long, formal taper.

I'll be looking at about a 2 week taper.  The last month of training was pretty much a write off.  Smallish taper for a snowed out marathon + leg issues.

63 days seems like no time at all.   Ack!

Are we there yet?

NOOOOOO!!! ARRRRGHH, achilles tendon damn you!
                    NOOOOOO!!! ARRRRGHH, achilles tendon damn you!

That really sucks, hope you heal quickly and well.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I think it's mostly a matter of semantics.  Gives people something to argue about on message boards.

My best marathons have come when I've had my biggest mileage weeks and longest runs about 6-7 weeks out from the marathon.

Then the 6th, 5th and 4th week out were all still generally high mileage (90-95% of peak mileage) with big workouts.

3 weeks out was 85% of peak mileage.

2 weeks out had 70% of peak mileage and only one quality run.

Then the last week had about 50% of peak mileage, not including the marathon.

So ... is that a 2 week taper?  A 6 week taper?  A 3 week taper?

I generally consider it a 2 week taper because until 2 weeks out  my primary focus was overall mileage and workouts.  With 2 weeks to go my primary emphasis was on recovery.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

Gives people something to argue about on message boards.

No it doesn't.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I think it's mostly a matter of semantics.  Gives people something to argue about on message boards.

Then the 6th, 5th and 4th week out were all still generally high mileage (90-95% of peak mileage) with big workouts.

3 weeks out was 85% of peak mileage.

2 weeks out had 70% of peak mileage and only one quality run.

Then the last week had about 50% of peak mileage, not including the marathon.

So ... is that a 2 week taper?  A 6 week taper?  A 3 week taper?

I generally consider it a 2 week taper because until 2 weeks out  my primary focus was overall mileage and workouts.  With 2 weeks to go my primary emphasis was on recovery.

+1

I tend to put my last long (20+) run 2.5 weeks out (I do them on Wednesdays) and then pull back from there.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

The Thunder

I like the 3-5 day taper with my last long run (20+) two weeks before.  I find, for me, tapering is overrated.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Kalsarikännit

Will anyone be combining Boston with Exeter this year?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart