3:20 Thrusts into RunningAhead in 2012 (Read 940 times)

fb-guy

If it is that active a thread,you may want to consider setting up a Group for it.

The 2012 3:20 thread has about 7,000 postings, and the 2011 3:20 thread (3:20: Longer and Harder in 2011) had 12,500+. We've had a 3:20 group on RA for years, but nobody uses it.

What are the advantages of setting up a Group?

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

The 2012 3:20 thread has about 7,000 postings, and the 2011 3:20 thread (3:20: Longer and Harder in 2011) had 12,500+. We've had a 3:20 group for years, but nobody uses it.

What are the advantages of setting up a Group?

I think with a group we could have the 320 thread where we talk about our training and people racing that week and another listing everyone's races to keep track of that. Similiar to what sub-4 has set-up. Just my 2 cents from the new guy.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Canuck

Hi all.  Lurker from the sub-4 group here.  We like the group format because as Jedi mentioned, you can have different threads in the same forum  which is handy - i.e. race reports, introduction thread, chat threads, threads about specific questions/training issues.  We're also splitting our chat threads into monthlies so that they don't get as long - our thread on RWOL was up to about 7000 posts this year, not quite as long as yours but pretty close.

My only request, please keep it a public group so that folks like me who aren't quite fast enough yet to join and post can still join and lurk!

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

xor

I think with a group we could have the 320 thread where we talk about our training and people racing that week and another listing everyone's races to keep track of that. Similiar to what sub-4 has set-up. Just my 2 cents from the new guy.Smile

And however many threads you wish to talk about whatever.  You don't need to keep the mindset that everything has to get stuffed in one thread.

Then again, a lot of the running talk isn't specific to 3:20.

Also, please explore the training log and training plan features here.  Make this stuff public and you no longer need posts that say "I ran a 6 mile tempo run today".  Or posts about your planned week.  I mean, you can, and discussion can start with stuff like that... but you don't have to do that.

fb-guy

Hey SRL -- you know that User Groups are really slow. Right?

bhearn

What do you mean by that?
              nickshawn

Sir Mix a Lot

Tonz - the Plan is a 16 weeker so the start date is indeed the 23rd. I could just base build those 4 weeks but this plan has a few workouts scattered in so I don't want to miss out on those. As far as NYC goes I wondered to myself on Thanksgiving how many people would have thrown a fit if the Macy's parade had been cancelled because all the Sandy victims were not back to 100%....

Omar - sorry to hear about the whole pant peeing thing.... Big grin.

Just my .02 on the group v. thread thing. I can see the advantage of the group and separate threads but A. I have enough trouble getting to one thread and catching up and B. I kind of like the whole random stream of conciousness vibe the thread seems to have as we roll along. If you really need a summary of my training at least here you can view my log, or if you really want details you can ask me (or someone who actually knows what the heck they are talking about) specific questions.

FB - how did you place AG wise?

7.4 @ 8:09 this morning as I try to creep my way back into things.

fb-guy

What do you mean by that?

To quote Gusgordon:

"this page does load a little slow...not RWOL slow, but slower than any other pages on RA including forum pages and other Group pages.  that's peculiar."

xor

That has never been my experience here ever.

For real.

xor

removed for bitchiness, but one thing I will leave here: there's something funky going on in the thread in question.  I would ask The Man (eric) about it.

I really truly hope that because one thread or area seems slow that you (the royal you, not fb specifically) wouldn't cast the whole thing that way.  Because 1) it isn't slow, and 2) people genuinely try to fix issues here.

fb-guy

Take a peek. If we are all going to start using User Groups more widely it would be good to know. My experience is that that sub 3 group thread consistently takes about 6 seconds to load. It isn't bad, but not what you would like to see if you are considering spending a lot of time there.

xor

(removed for bitchiness and because the situation was 'splained by bhearn)

Canuck

FB, we haven't had any speed issues at all in our sub-4 user group.  The pages all load super fast, no waiting.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

bhearn

He's talking about the sub-3 thread in the Marathon Race Training forum:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MarathonRaceTraining/forum/17ad87fbd0c34d90956944b0f3744af2

And yes, that thread does seem to take a long time to load for some reason. That is odd, and a question for eric Smile .

But as srlopez says, there's not a problem here with user groups in general.

jeffdonahue

Take a peek. If we are all going to start using User Groups more widely it would be good to know. My experience is that that sub 3 group thread consistently takes about 6 seconds to load. It isn't bad, but not what you would like to see if you are considering spending a lot of time there.

But on the up side it would allow for grouping of discussion - about training, attempts, upcoming races, etc...

Instead of having it in one thread and then having to read through pages of on thread and maybe forgetting where you left off - seems time consuming to me, moreso than waiting an extra second for a page to load.