Garmin 405 vs 305 (Read 3125 times)

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

I've had a Polar S610 for about four years and ready to switch to something with a GPS. My issue with the S610 is mostly that it saves only one workout detail and it is easily blown away by hitting the big button on the top. Just last night I did it by accident and got pretty pissed about it. Having a HRM really helped me tune into what a specific heart rate felt like. I can guess within a few beats where my heart is usually. For running pace, I'm too sloppy. I could guess the pace within a minute, but not much better. I figure a GPS watch would help my sense of pace in the same way. I've been thinking about the 405 because it doesn't look like a PC slapped to my wrist, but I've seen people complain that it doesn't do this as well as the 305. Is there a good source for the 305 v 405 for helping me with the decision? Thoughts? Advice?
    -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
    also on Twitter
    mikeymike

GPS is the work of the devil.

Runners run

Googling "305 v 405" will bring up lots of discussions. I have the 305. I do not find it too big and it was WAY less $. Less $ always good. Word on the street is: better satellite tracking (though I don't know why this would be; I would imagine they use the same stuff) and 305 shows more info/easier to read.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

305 has a bigger screen and is easier to use/read on the run. And it's cheaper.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Imminent Catastrophe

I have the 405 and it's way cool but unless the geeky appearance of the 305 bothers you it's a better deal, for all the reasons mentioned above. There has to be a smoothing function that would make a more smooth line:

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Marquess of Utopia

I can't wait until they make the garmin 505:
              kcam

The 305 is easier to read, especially in lo light conditions. As a matter of fact, when I'm running in the dark I can't read the 305 display even with the backlight on and contrast adjusted. This is because I'm old (or my arm is not long enoughWink). The 405 would be even worse. The 305 and 405 use the same gps chipset / receiver so the tracking should be the same.
                  I own a 201 and a 405. I know a few folks with a 305, so take what I say accordingly. There have been issues with heart rate monitoring with the 305, from skyrocketing, to not picking up correctly. I have not had, nor heard of such problems with the 405. The 405 may have the same chipset (I'm not aware of the internals), however it picks up the GPS satellites faster than the 305. Overall the 405 is has better functionality, but the 305 seems to be the better value, especially with the 405 driving the price down.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The 405 may have the same chipset (I'm not aware of the internals), however it picks up the GPS satellites faster than the 305.
                    On what data do you base this assertion?
                    Overall the 405 is has better functionality
                    The 405 has fewer functions than the 305. What functionality are you referring to?
                      Hey, I've been looking into getting a GPS. Right now I'm just using a hand held Etrex unit my dad got free with his boat motor. I went to the garmin website and it has both the 305 (GPS-enabled personal trainer) and 405 (GPS-enabled sport watch) listed for the same price of $299.99. Is this reflected in the stores as well? and where is the best place to shop for one? Thank you, Bryan
                        http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA Not sure if its the best deal, but better than 299
                        2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
                        VandyMontana

Hey, I've been looking into getting a GPS. Right now I'm just using a hand held Etrex unit my dad got free with his boat motor. I went to the garmin website and it has both the 305 (GPS-enabled personal trainer) and 405 (GPS-enabled sport watch) listed for the same price of $299.99. Is this reflected in the stores as well? and where is the best place to shop for one? Thank you, Bryan
                          I got my 305 two weeks ago for $165 from Amazon... I have friends with the 405. Mine does the same as theirs, has more data fields, and is the same color as The University of Montana Grizzlies, which is always a plus for me.
                          http://running-with-wine.blogspot.com/

Menace to Sobriety

I have the 405 and it's way cool but unless the geeky appearance of the 305 bothers you it's a better deal, for all the reasons mentioned above. There has to be a smoothing function that would make a more smooth line:
                            Wow,I have an old 201 that does better than that. The only time I get really bad spikes is when it has loses contact with the satelites and extrapolates when it picks them up again. The 201 does have a smoothing control that I have maxed out. The 405 doesn't have one?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

On what data do you base this assertion? The 405 has fewer functions than the 305. What functionality are you referring to?
                              With regards to the satellite tracking picking up, I compare with a person standing next to me, searching for satellites at the same time I do. I don't claim it's scientific, just something I have observed through use. As for the 405 having better functionality, please note that I didn't say more functionality. To me, the heart rate monitoring functionality is improved vs the 305. The 405 also makes use of the wireless transfer technology (ANT). This is convenience I value. As I've said, I haven't owned a 305, so my comparison is from observation and conversations.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

I have both. Or, I had both before my 305 died. 1) I think the learning curve was faster on the 305, though if you use either often, you'll figure them out, so I'd actually disagree w/ the "better functionality" statement, but that's just me. 2) The 405 is usually quicker at finding satellites, but not always... sometimes, it frustrates me just as much as my 305. 3) My 305 died 12 months and 1 week after I bought it. Out of warranty, I wasn't interested in buying another one that might die so soon. (Admittedly, it IS way cheaper) 4) My biggest thing? I'm a lunchtime runner. I wear the 405 as my everyday watch... Sometimes, I'd forget to pack the 305 in my bag, and those days made me sad. Sad I've never forgotten my 405 cuz it's usually on my wrist. 5) The comment about the 305 being better to adjust on the run is very true... I don't push buttons when I run, but if I did, it's way easier on the 305. All in all, if you want to save money, I'd go 305. Otherwise, I prefer the 405, but only a little and only because I've never forgotten it.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.