Lactate Threshold (Read 436 times)

ckerr1999

What is the best way to determine what your current Lactate Threshold is?

It depends why you want to know. If you want to know for training purposes, then the best way is to estimate from race paces. LT is generally defined as your 1 hour race pace. For most people on here that will fall somewhere between 10k and 10 mile race pace.

Runners run

ckerr1999

Thanks. Yes was wondering for training purposes. Right now reading Advanced Marathoning -2nd edition.

It depends why you want to know. If you want to know for training purposes, then the best way is to estimate from race paces. LT is generally defined as your 1 hour race pace. For most people on here that will fall somewhere between 10k and 10 mile race pace.

If I recall correctly in Pfitz and Douglas they talk about between 15k and HM race pace. Maybe they're just assuming that people are faster than most of us Smile

LRB

If I recall correctly in Pfitz and Douglas they talk about between 15k and HM race pace. Maybe they're just assuming that people are faster than most of us Smile

If one ran either of those distances in around an hour (not me that's for sure), it would be.  For the average recreational runner, it is their 10k pace or thereabouts.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I definitely got the impression that some of the stuff in Daniels was oriented to really fast people.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Double

You could input a current 5K race result into a running calculator.

I put my 5K result into the Daniels Calc.

http://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

TypePace/MiPace/Km400200
                  Easy  08:26 - 08:56 05:14 - 05:33 -- --
                  Marathon  07:26 04:37 -- --
                  Threshold  07:00 04:21 01:44 00:52
                  Interval  06:26 04:00 01:36 00:48
                  Repetition  06:02 03:45 01:30 00:45

Isn't there supposed to be more words to the sentence?

I haven't read many of the guru's, but the guru I follow has the following.  Slightly different use of words.

"...you can sustain for 1 hour without decline in performance."

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Isn't there supposed to be more words to the sentence?

I haven't read many of the guru's, but the guru I follow has the following.  Slightly different use of words.

Does that mean if you hold your easy pace for 1 hr, that that's your LT pace? (don't think so - that's why they say racing in a 1-hr race)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Is the ellipsis in place of the words "fastest pace"? If so that's just a less succinct way of saying "one hour race pace." Underlining a bunch of superfluous words doesn't change that.

Runners run

some call me Tim

I don't mean to be contrary just for the sake of it, but one response might be, "Ask Noakes"

some call me Tim

Allright that was actually kind of jerky, and I apologize. I *do* think you should consider that you can get a lot out of your training without needing to know a precise 'lactate threshold'.

adavis58

Lactate Threshold is defined as your one hour race pace.

You should be able to talk in short sentences, if you cannot talk you are running to fast.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

I think LT training is one of the most over-rated terms for non-elite runners.  And "1-hour race pace", while correct for most elite runners and experienced advanced runners, is also totally wrong for many non-elite runners.  Take OP for example; many of his/her runs are not quite even an hour and many of his/her runs are faster than 10k race pace which is about an hour.  How many "elite" runners can you think of who train most of his/her training at 10k race pace?

Simply determining your LT pace, while fascinating, wouldn't mean much to most recreational runners anyways; you'll also need to know how much of your training should be done at LT pace.  Also, to me, the biggest thing is the fact LT PACE changes as your training plan progress (as it supposed to).  It probably means something IF you do the LT check-up quite frequently--like every other week or every month--, otherwise, picking a number would probably hurt you more than help.  I think something more on the line of Low Heart Rate training probably have more value to beginning runners than trying to figure out what their LT pace and try to incorporate it in their training.

If, for whatever the reason, you really want to figure out the ball-park figure of your LT pace; probably one of the best things you can do is to hop on a treadmill; do some easy warm-up exercise, whatever you may do for your warm-up (brisk walk, easy jog, etc.) and start the belt speed of what you may consider a 10k race pace, checking constantly your HR.  Each 30 seconds, you crank up the MPH speed by 0.2MPH.  Continue to crank up the speed by 0.2MPH each 30-seconds while checking your HR...  For a while, your HR should increase linearly and you'll get to the point where your HR starts to level off.  This is loosely based on Conconi Test and this "deflection point" is roughly your LT pace.  Elite runners would use 200m segments but that would be too far/long for beginning runners.  30 seconds is a good alternate but, if it's too short, try 45 seconds.  I think a minute might be too long but certainly doable.  I think this is more practical for those who might have a hard time "racing" over an hour.  There are more than you think who might have a hard time "racing" over a half an hour; for those whose 10k race time is not too much faster than their training pace, they are either training way too hard, thinking they'd need to train at LT pace; or they are not even in shape to "race" over an hour and their "10k race" turns into just another training run.  And you know there are a lot more of this type than you admit.