Lactate Threshold (Read 436 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Wow. Those are some very, very fit looking folks. Much more so than at the average races/runs that I've been to.

Makes me tired just looking at the pictures!

steph  

J-L-C

LOL.  Is there anyone that would actually do this workout?  Do you think people that use HRMs are mindless slaves to the number and that they aren't capable of rational thought?

Well, "yeah" to the former and "sometimes" to the latter. You don't have to read many threads about hr training to see that. You can also say similar things about being slaves to time or pace or mileage, etc.

J-L-C

My purpose in some of these posts is not "what about me", esp. in Running 101, but generalizing from flat, pavement to more general terrain and environmental conditions - so people could learn principles. A really new runner may not recognize those issues and try to run x min/mi up whatever - or in snow. I know I struggled with some things early on cuz I didn't understand some of these things. My original online group was a mix of everything from sprinters to trail and ultra runners. Many of our races are in the mountains or on rolling hill trails, not on the relatively flat roads.

I think the principle is "be specific".

General terrain and environmental conditions for road racers are roads. If you have to climb up a mountain or technical trail or strap a pair of snowshoes on, then you need to do training appropriate for that or adjust your paces/effort accordingly. No one would suggest otherwise. Like Mike said, just a little common sense can go a long way. Obviously pace is always dependent on conditions.

AKTrail, my son just went skiing there a couple weeks ago. It looks a lot different when there's no snow, bout yet very similar.

Cool stuff!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

SMART Approach

That's me now. I've cut out the speedwork, but I can't make myself reduce mileage or cut out hills. Presumably, the original slight strain (November) has long since healed, and I am dealing with leftover adhesions and crap, that my massage therapist says she worked through last time... why isn't it going away? I'd give a lot for a magic ability to look into my muscles and see what was going on.

Well, a sports doc or ortho can use diagnostic/musculoskeletal ultrasound on your hammys or hammy tendons.  More than likely they will find what you already know. Before my PRP injections, she did this on me. My right side had partial tears and abundant scar tissue.  I rarely do more than just striders these days and use occasional races as my speedwork and faster finish long runs.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com