How do you determine if your shoes are the cause of an injury? (Read 337 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

When do you know that you have the wrong shoes? Is it the first time you run in them? What if an injury happens 2 months after wearing them? What about if you cycle two or three different shoes?

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Linda6897

Linda

I really don't think running shoes "cause" injury, unless you mean blisters or something along those lines.   There's very little scientific data on the subject, but I don't think that anyone can prove that any particular shoe prevents injury or causes it.

2014 Goal:  Just Run!

Over 40 PR's

Half - 1:38:52, 5K - 21:31

If shoes are going to cause a problem, it is usually acute, i.e. the first or second time you wear a new pair, you have problem X.  Years ago, Montrail Hardrocks were all the rage.  No pair of shoes have ever made my feet hurt as much as those and I managed all of 16 miles in them before giving them away.  We also see similar reports here, usually an experienced runner that tries a shoe that is radically different and suffers a fail or injury on a hard workout.

I also believe that shoes that are not neutral enough can cause chronic problem.  Again, in my own experience, "motion control" shoes will give me shin splints.  It is possible that they helped when I first started running 12 years ago, but I only made it through one season before having problems and almost gave up completely.  So that is another factor, that a shoe that might have worked well once may cause issues with improvement to running economy, foot muscle tone, higher mileage, etc.

I agree that there is little or no science on the topic.  Those who would fund the research, the shoe companies, don't want it known that their shoes (1) could cause injury and (2) can't prevent injury.

It is always difficult to know if a chronic injury is caused by shoes or general overuse i.e. too much too fast etc.  It is usually overuse, but it is always easier to blame a chronic injury on something other than oneself.  Ways to know that you have the wrong shoes:

1. They feel uncomfortable when you try them on in the store
        2. You experience unusually severe soreness after just 1-2 "general aerobic" runs.
        3. The shoes are severely worn out in spots like the upper, ball, or heel, after just 100 miles or so.  {This may not cause a medical injury but is certainly damaging to the pocketbook}

2013 H1:  7 hours/week base.  Q3: Train for goal race.  Q4:  Goal Race.