RW magazine format changes (Read 301 times)

I am interested to hear from people who still subscribe to the print version of RW.  (Sometimes I feel like I am the last one).

I've noticed they've changed their style over the last couple of months, and have gotten very serious.  Month-by-month they started dropping anything that could be considered lighthearted or upbeat features.  I almost didn't notice because they did it a little each month.

No more Ask Miles, Road Scholar, Newbie Chronicles and that Stop/Go/Frivolous/Serious graph thing.  Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the all the deeper articles.  But why cut out the other stuff?  Where is the balance?  Do we need to pull Yasso out of retirement to remind them not to take themselves so darn seriously?

HermosaBoy

So more serious articles about:

How to lose 10 lbs fast?

How to run faster by running less?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

runmichigan

Don't forget that Rodale sold Runners' World and Bicycling magazines to Hearst back in January.  Changes have been due ever since.

Muebele

I still haven’t forgiven Runners World for buying/combining and than ending Running Times which was my favorite mag

lap

This.

I still haven’t forgiven Runners World for buying/combining and than ending Running Times which was my favorite mag

JMac11

RIP Milkman

+1, a complete disgrace that they got rid of it but I guess they couldn't draw enough revenue. I loved that they claimed they would continue to focus on the type of articles RT put out, but right when it was killed, every RW article was the usual trash of THIS SECRET TRICK WILL HELP YOU SET NEW PRs.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CH24

Yes .I agree and am not sure I'll renew.  My HS xc/Track son used to read an occasional RT article but no more

Podcast changed early this year too. Haven't listened to it since .

Dutch262

Don't forget that Rodale sold Runners' World and Bicycling magazines to Hearst back in January.  Changes have been due ever since.

I didn't know this but that explains it.

Doubt I will renew again. I am still mad about them killing off their podcasts.

Bee2005

It's a pretty drastic change from the May issue to the June issue IMO, and not in a good way. Anything light and casual about running is gone.

Joann Y

I'm looking at the July issue right now and this is the first time in a long time that I actually want to sit down and read the damn thing.

Exactly, the recent issues are much improved.

I'm looking at the July issue right now and this is the first time in a long time that I actually want to sit down and read the damn thing.

KCRuns

+1

For a while there, they had only light and fluffy stuff and had cut over half of the pages.  It's nice to see some serious articles.  Maybe now that they've added serious stuff, they can work on balancing that out with the lighter fare.

Bee2005

+1

For a while there, they had only light and fluffy stuff and had cut over half of the pages.  It's nice to see some serious articles.  Maybe now that they've added serious stuff, they can work on balancing that out with the lighter fare.

Agreed. Some balance would be great. I like the serious articles, but I miss some of the lighter stuff as well.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I occasionally browse through the RW magazine at a news stall before boarding a train...but only to look at the pictures.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I occasionally browse through the RW magazine at a news stall before boarding a train...but only to look at the pictures.

Then you will like the recent issues.  One of the biggest standouts is the new photography.  Very well done.