Max Heart Rate (Read 700 times)

I am 29 years old, so according to the (totally outdated) formula MaxHR = 220-Age my max HR would be 191 bpm. I've found that it can be as high as 202 bpm (5.76% more than the value given by formula). Just curious, what's your age and your Max HR?
    PRs 5K 21:44 10K 51:35 51:09 48:41

Marquess of Utopia

27 - I've reached a max of 206.
        I'm 54 and my max heart rate is 185. The formulae are useless. If you want to know your true MHR you'll either need to get a stress test or go out and do progressively faster intervals until you puke. It ain't fun but it does provide reliable information. Tom
        Wingz

Professional Noob

35. Max I've recorded is 203. What Figbash said. Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...

Scout7

If you insist on going this route, why not find your Lactate Threshold? It's easier and just as useful, if not moreso.
              I am 42 years old. I think my max is 190 bpm.
              Purdey

Self anointed title

If you insist on going this route, why not find your Lactate Threshold? It's easier and just as useful, if not moreso.
                It is not as easy to find. I'm 102 and my max HR is 210. My son is 2 mths old. So theoretically his max HR should be 220 right? Not so. I had him do 4x(8x400) with 30 sec rec between reps and a nappy change between sets. He only managed to get to 215. Is he gifted or underdeveloped?

Scout7

It is not as easy to find. I'm 102 and my max HR is 210.
                  Sure it is. Run for 30 minutes at a pace you feel you could run for an hour. That's a lot easier than running repeats till you puke or give up.
                  Purdey

Self anointed title

Sure it is. Run for 30 minutes at a pace you feel you could run for an hour. That's a lot easier than running repeats till you puke or give up.
                    I don't get it. 30 mins at a pace I could run for an hour? And then what? That just sounds like a steady run to me. How does that tell me my lactate threshold? (am I being an idiot?)

Scout7

No, you're not being an idiot. Lactate Threshold Field Test: After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone. * The 30 minute TT begins. * At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test. * The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT. * 15 minutes easy cool down. Some say a pace where you finish knowing you gave it everything you had, others say a pace that you could run for 45-60 minutes. LT is basically right around the pace one would run for a 10K to Half Marathon (depending on person and fitness level). Once you know your LT, you can establish training zones. There's a lot of different definitions as to which zone is what. Some go with four, some with five, some have six. Easy training would be probably around 75% or less of LT, so something like recovery pace. Next would be long run/general aerobic, so around 80-90% of LT, depending on how far. Next step up would be where you're at towards the end of longer runs. Some ignore this area, some don't. This area is just under LT. Then you have LT, which would be Tempo runs most often. Then you have the stuff over LT, so 5K races, intervals, etc.
                      Purdey

Self anointed title

Makes sense. (for once) Thanks Scout.

Scout7

My pleasure.

Non ducor, duco.

No, you're not being an idiot. Lactate Threshold Field Test: After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone. * The 30 minute TT begins. * At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test. * The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT. * 15 minutes easy cool down. Some say a pace where you finish knowing you gave it everything you had, others say a pace that you could run for 45-60 minutes.
                            I hate this kind of variation. What do you say Scout? or anyone?
                            Scout7

I hate this kind of variation. What do you say Scout? or anyone?
                              I say it probably doesn't matter too much. Do the 30 minutes at a steady pace, one that feels hard, and leaves you mostly spent. Of course, I also generally argue against the need for a HRM in the first place, and that your body is a greater indicator of what you're doing than some device, but I'm apparently a Luddite who hates technology.

Non ducor, duco.

You crack me up. Luddite. Big grin MTA: thanks