Bob Costas Gun Control Statement (Read 1054 times)

npaden

Big grin

-Really takes the "Hunt" out of the hunt when instead of one accurate shot to the heart, you can just fire off 20 rounds in 4 seconds and be sure of the kill!  You can be sure that pig is dead when the body is blown completely separate from the head. 

-- Just bring some bags to pick up all the pig parts that will be lying around everywhere after the "kill" shot(s).  Dead

Not sure how this will turn out. Posting from my phone. My first shot on pigs is actually right behind the ear. My Rock River Arms AR-15 is actually the most accurate rifle I own. I can shoot a 5 shot group smaller than the size of a nickel at 100 yards with it. The problem is that after that first shot all the other pigs start running for their lives, literally. Believe it or not pigs can actually run pretty fast. Where I'm hunting them there is also a lot of brush. So after that first shot which almost almost ends up with a pig DRT(dead right there), it is pretty tricky shooting. My best ever is 4 pigs killed and recovered out of one group. I think the most times I've actually pulled the trigger is 8 or 9 times as they are tearing out of sight. I'm hoping some day I will get some extra stupid pigs that will stick around longer and let me use all 20 rounds in the magazine. I do eat what I kill or give the meat away, but I don't fault those who don't. The pigs are a real problem. This is all just to show an example that the dreaded semiautomatic gun with a high capacity magazine can be very useful.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I can shoot a 5 shot group smaller than the size of a nickel at 100 yards with it. 

It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Village people

It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.

i laughed.

Why is it sideways?

MrH

Cream of womp rat soup for dinner.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

CClay

Better than all of you

Costas is just one of the many morons that will try and make this into a political statement of facts, which it is not.  This is a story about domestic violence.  A man killed the mother of his child.  He's the douchebag.

Then you simply have no understanding of how firearms are used in legitimate purposes. 

And, what is "a bullet built for maximum human destruction"?  How is that different than "maximum deer/antelope/elk" destruction?  Short answer is that it is not, you're just putting inflammatory language in there for effect.

Not to mention, many people use their firearms for defense in their homes, where a) you do indeed want to create maximum destruction to stop a human threat, and b) the same features that do maximal damage in the body have the side benefit of reducing penetration through walls and shooting an unintended target in the next room/house.

But I remember you from before, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering.  I will listen to my original inclination to exit the thread now.

You sir, are ridiculous.  You react to every argument as a personal affront.  Everyone who disagrees with you is poorly read or an idiot.  And you always threaten to take your ball and go home.  It's boring.  

To answer your question, I would put the "Devastator" bullet used by John Hinckley into the category of "built for maximum human destruction."  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770159/  I might also include the Extreme Shock "Fang Face," which (according to its advertisement "Composite fragments upon impact, leaving a wound channel of catastrophic proportions."  http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/catalog.html&setup=1&ida=14&idp=0&his=0  It is true that a bullet that rips through a human will also rip through a deer/antelope/elk.  The Hague Convention does not ban expanding bullets in armed conflict because they are so effective at killing elk.  

How many people really use their firearms for defense in their homes?  The answer: Very few.  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use/index.html  In fact, studies show that most "self defense" shooting were, in fact, illegal.  Guns in the home were more likely to be used to intimidate a spouse or intimate.  The FBI counted an average of 213 justified firearm homicides per year over the period 2005-2010.  http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl15.xls  

But I am prepared to accept that people have the right to bear arms to defend their homes.  I don't agree with it, but it's a fair argument.  

Even if one assumes that firearms are justified for home defense, though, it seems to me that something less than the Devastator or Fang Face would suffice.  Again, it's a matter of reasonable limits.  But reasonable's not your game now, is it?  

I'll chime in with a Canadian perspective.....

The statement "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is complete bullshit.

The easy access to a variety of guns in your country scares the crap out of me.  There is no reason to own a gun as far as I'm concerned.  Leave that to the police. People do stupid things for a variety of reasons (alcohol, rage, bad judgments) and having such easy access to such destructive tools is crazy.

Just my opinion.

That being said, not sure it was appropriate for Costas to raise it during a football game.  Although he does come across as an incredibly intelligent guy.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

dog person

I'll chime in with a Canadian perspective.....

The statement "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is complete bullshit.

The easy access to a variety of guns in your country scares the crap out of me.  There is no reason to own a gun as far as I'm concerned.  Leave that to the police. People do stupid things for a variety of reasons (alcohol, rage, bad judgments) and having such easy access to such destructive tools is crazy.

Just my opinion.

That being said, not sure it was appropriate for Costas to raise it during a football game.  Although he does come across as an incredibly intelligent guy.

My American perspective. I don't really like guns, I really wish that we were a de-armed society, but we don't.

There are a shit ton of guns in the US, a lot of them owned by scum that will take a life for a quick fix on a meth pipe. As long as they're out there, I'm going to keep my guns.

Yes, this is the mentality  that perpetuates the cycle of more and more guns, but I'm just one person. If someone comes up with some sort of magical solution for the problem, I'll be all over it.

In any event, regardless of the issue being discussed, and whether I agree or not,  I've always felt that Bob Costas is a douche of the highest order.

Kristian

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm sure we will have the issue resolved in a couple of pages.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I do have an opinion on this, but have found that sharing it rarely leads to a positive outcome.

FWIW I served on the front line in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan, so I know my way around various weapons  (from a 9mm pistol to a 55mm self-propelled howitzer.)

I have been a foot away from receiving a bullet through the head, and have seen the impact that 4 rounds will do to a soft 18 yr old body. Yet, I do own a shotgun for game and clay shooting.

In the UK, gun ownership is highly regulated.  I am thankful for that.

Hoban-Jay

Paraphrasing two popular quotations that have been around for 2000+ years.

Blessed are the peace makers.   (I never heard it as blessed are those who kill or maim.  I haven't even heard that in any reference...ever.)

And the other being, Thou shalt not kill.  That's fairly straight forward and unambiguous...not much room to misinterpret that one, eh!?

yweuiuyywe

spam
                            mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Believe it or not pigs can actually run pretty fast.

This, plus their aggression, toughness, and prevalence around here is why they're on my short list of things that I truly worry about when I'm out running after dark.  Short of strapping a rifle on my back, though, I can't think of anything I could do to prepare for that except be aware of the location of the nearest climbable tree.

Never actually had an encounter, thank God. *knocks on wood*

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

paulski66

miscreant

It never ceases to amaze me how even the most obvious and innocuous of statements connecting the prevalence of firearms in this country and the overwhelming gun violence triggers the gun nuts to start pulling out their hair and gnashing their teeth.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...