Bob Costas Gun Control Statement (Read 1054 times)

Yup.  Because if someone had been there to stop him instead of let him keep shooting on and on at those helpless kids, we wouldn't have such a large tragedy.  But, as usual, the police arrived promptly enough to string out yellow tape and write a report.  Thank goodness.

You know, when I first heard about this I was thinking of the victims and families and of my own kids that age.  I can't really put it in good words but I find it extremely distasteful that your first instinct was apparently to look up this dumb thread and go "See???  See???"

and I find it both distasteful and ridiculous that you'd blame the police. 

How can this happen over and over, but anyone who questions the need for semiautomatic firearms is an a-hole?  That's what made me think of this stupid thread.  that and the fact that nothing will change. 

what, did you think i was gloating? 

damn.

Quiet.

Seriously, a moment or more of silence, already.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Quiet.

Seriously, a moment or more of silence, already.

+ infinity.

I'm now sitting here thanking God that my two little nieces in another school 1/2 mile away from the scene were unharmed and are now safe at home with their Mom.  I couldn't say that several hours ago. 

Please, at least for today - shut the hell up. MTA : language.

BeeRunB

Horrible and so sad. Any use of this event right now to further either side of this endless gun argument is cold piling-on. How 'bout a respectful waiting period?

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

Today there was a tragedy in Newtown CT. Out of respect for the victims I will ask that we not discuss gun control issues till Monday.

It is somehow too soon, even for myself who worked in the region and know local CT police officers, fire and military personnel from Fairfield County to absorb what is unfolding. Yes I realize I can self censor myself, but I respectfully ask that we can this discussion for now.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

Better I Leave

I'm not a deeply religious man, but this picture moved me. My heart aches for the children lost today and the families who will have to endure the grief and pain of losing their loved ones. They may be gone, but they are in his embrace...

Like the above picture..

Sitting here with my 3 year old getting ready to watch Rudolph..and hugging her a little more tightly tonight. I am disgusted by people who are making this political. And I despise all forms of media that will seek out parents and children to interview. Give these people some peace..

run4loss

Deleted

Ojo

+ infinity.

I'm now sitting here thanking God that my two little nieces in another school 1/2 mile away from the scene were unharmed and are now safe at home with their Mom.  I couldn't say that several hours ago. 

Please, at least for today - shut the hell up. MTA : language.

Thank you.  I live about 40 miles away and feel sick about this.  Let us all just think of the families and their friends.

Sara

MM #2929

I can't think of anything that would honor all of the victims more than having a real discussion about how to prevent these tragedies and how to treat everyone with a little more kindness and respect.  Yes, this involves gun control.  Yes, is involves domestic violence and substance abuse.  Yes, this involves mental health issues.  Yes, this involves talking about responsibly consuming traditional and social media.  Yes, this involves a sober look at who we are becoming as a people.  

It's precisely the sting of pain that we all feel right now that should convince us of the need to have the discussion. 

Here's a pretty stark point (it's worth listening to the audio):

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/final-note/final-note-there-are-more-58000-gunshops-us

As a pastor who has buried young children, the pain in Newtown is real, but not new.  The tragedy like this takes on symbolic value because it forces so many of us who do not deal with such violence on a regular to face the dark side of human nature.  I agree that we need to have a policy discussion on how to control access of guns for the mentally ill.  However I do not think we will ever be able to totally "fix" this problem with better policies and regulations.

The tragedy goes deeper into the darkness of the human soul, what Karl Jung called the "shadow" side; what scripture calls sin.  Naming our shared broken/shadow nature helps us as a society to deal with this national tragedy and the many local tragedies that are yet to come.  This dark day makes me run towards the light and hope of Christmas.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

As a pastor who has buried young children, the pain in Newtown is real, but not new.  The tragedy like this takes on symbolic value because it forces so many of us who do not deal with such violence on a regular to face the dark side of human nature.  I agree that we need to have a policy discussion on how to control access of guns for the mentally ill.  However I do not think we will ever be able to totally "fix" this problem with better policies and regulations.

The tragedy goes deeper into the darkness of the human soul, what Karl Jung called the "shadow" side; what scripture calls sin.  Naming our shared broken/shadow nature helps us as a society to deal with this national tragedy and the many local tragedies that are yet to come.  This dark day makes me run towards the light and hope of Christmas.

Well said.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Tiefsa

I'm a teacher.  I also have a first grader, a 5k student, and a kid in preschool.

This shooting disturbed me in so many way, I can't describe. 

I just want to know if you all think there will be any changes with gun control in America?  I know there are several other issues at play with this school shooting, but I heard some politicians talking about legislation to let teachers have guns.  It was also reported that the shooter used his mother's guns.  There's no guarantee that if teachers have guns in a school they won't be used for protection, but instead be used to harm students if a teacher is mentally ill. 

I don't like guns.  They scare me real bad.  I don't think more guns are the answer.  What is?

an amazing likeness

I just want to know if you all think there will be any changes with gun control in America? 

I do not believe there will be any meaningful change. Our country has a clear lack of couragous leadership at the political level, the strength to acheive great things is long past us.

What I fear will happen is that our schools will become armed fortresses because that looks like meaningful change. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

You know, I got to thinking about the "gun culture" angle today, and it occurred to me that we've gone through a similar situation before, in the mid-to-late 19th Century West.  From everything I've read and seen - not just in movies and fictional books - a much larger percentage of people were gun owners during that time than are today (though I could be wrong, I don't have any stats and I doubt any exist).  Granted, many more people needed guns during that time and in that place, even for reasons having nothing to do with other people, but I keep thinking...to my knowledge, we didn't have these mass shooting scenarios like we have today.  Sure, there was a lot of senseless violence, but I don't recall hearing about anyone walking into a public place and randomly firing into a crowd of innocent people,* even though guns were so readily available.

I wonder what's changed?

*I know plenty of innocent Native Americans were slaughtered - plenty - and I don't mean to downplay that.  But, due to the tragically prevalent attitude at the time that those people were little more than vermin to be cleared from "our" land, I consider that to be a different situation than what we're seeing in Newport, Aurora, VA Tech, etc..

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people