Soundoff: Positive Mantra (Read 756 times)

Sometimes when I'm tired of running, I'll tell myself some mantra, or positive thought, to get my butt in gear and motivate myself... I want to know what other people are thinking or saying to themselves! My faves: Define Yourself This is an Easy Run This is an Easy Run This is an Easy Run (must be repeated over and over and over to believe it lol) Even if I'm lying to myself, the positive thinking seems to help get me over the lazy hump.
    ~Sarah~ My 2008 Goals: Little Rock HM (just finish it :)) Nike Women's Half Marathon San Francisco 10/19/08 5k < 30:00>
      Here are four of mine: I am a mentally strong runner. My legs are light and strong as they propel me along. Calm and confident, I run well. I gain without strain. I usually start out my run with #3 and move on as other needs arise. And I also have to repeat them over and over Wink
      "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
      shyrunner07

mine: MOVE!! Tongue
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Backroadrunner has one she does on hills...something to the effect of "hills are my friends, hills make me stronger, hills are my friends, hills make me faster." Cracks me up. She'll say this aloud during a race, even! I just like to turn to a rather naughty song on my iPod when I'm having a challenging time...Peaches' song, "F*ck the Pain Away." Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My standby has always been: "SUCK IT UP WEAK-ASS!" Angry I know that's not a positive mantra, but that's all I've got. Really.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

"I'm a gazelle! I'm a gazelle!" Big grin
                No doubt!! Many times I'll just be telling myself to "suck it up"!
                ~Sarah~ My 2008 Goals: Little Rock HM (just finish it :)) Nike Women's Half Marathon San Francisco 10/19/08 5k < 30:00>
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

ROTFLMAO--I should use this one...even though I'm more like a lumbering sloth.... Wink

~ Sarah Kay

How bout "I'm getting old but I'm not yet moldddd!" or, "This may be tough but I can do this stuff!" or, "I am the power!" or "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." Usually it's just "God help me up this hilllll!" Clowning around
                    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Toward the end of my last marathon, it was just "left, right, left, right!" Also, I find it gives me a major boost to actually growl out loud like some kind of terrifying animal. Of course, this really freaks out anybody who's nearby. Big grin
                      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                        You know the little ditty Dora sings in the movie "Finding Nemo"? "Just keep swimming"? I replace swimming with running when I'm getting tired. "Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running, running, running...." haha.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know the little ditty Dora sings in the movie "Finding Nemo"? "Just keep swimming"? I replace swimming with running when I'm getting tired. "Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running, running, running...." haha.
                          I have done this SO many times...at least before I got my iPod. Now I just find a song to keep me moving and distract me from wanting to stop. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Me and my gang in Breck

For me it's just getting out the door. I tell myself to just get out the door and everything will work itself out. Once I start running I'm usually OK. But I never really know how far or how fast I'm going to run. It depends on how I feel (and how much time I have). Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

freckles

Mine are 'You're not as fat as you used to be' repeated again and again and again when I'm racing i chant 'it doesn't really matter, if you're fatter, than everybody else in the race." Actually I sing that one cos its from a Brian Kennedy song that I changed the words to. Hello whilst I am here, I have been obsessively reading everyones posts for a while but have never posted myself!!

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hello whilst I am here, I have been obsessively reading everyones posts for a while but have never posted myself!!
                                Hi, there--glad to have you here! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay