1000Km-621 mile club

Thank You, my dear brother (Read 713 times)

Today I returned to training, after 34 days without running. Those were the worst days of my life. Not because I didn't run, but for a far more tragic motive: my extraordinary brother (only 38 years old) was, June 29th, the victim of an unpredictable and brutal street accident.

He fought bravely for his life during 27 days in hospital. There were even a few signs of recovery that gave us - family & doctors - some hope of having him back with us. Unfortunately, in spite of his unsurmountable courage, he wasn't able to win this final battle of his life.

Me and my parents are proud of him. Proud of his strength during hard times, but also proud of his kind and generous spirit, always available to help his friends, always worried about them, always willing to spend the little money he had on gifts to others.

Believe me, that's really how he was.

We know he's still with us. In a different way, of course - but always looking after me and my parents.

I must thank him for being such a fantastic person - such an example to all of us.

And I thank you also, my dear brother, for, from where you are now, giving me the strength to, in spite of all the pain that I still feel, get back to my training.

Thank You, Diogo Luis, my kind and strong brother, for all the good memories you left me, for being for me a much better friend than I ever was to you. I know you and me will always be in touch. Nothing can set us apart. I feel your gentle, yet strong, presence here, right now, by my side. I know you will never abandon me, mom & dad.

For that, and for everything else, THANK YOU, MY DEAR BROTHER.

It feels awkward to address in English to a fellow Portuguese speaker but, in deference to the rest of the members of the group, I feel that I must.

I just want to say that I am very sorry for you loss and hope that somehow you find the strength to keep on living as best as you can, José Pedro. From what you've told, I'm pretty sure that's what your brother would want you to do.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Coragem!

You're right, lj, it's kind of awkward to write you in english, but in this context I too feel we must do so.

Thank you for your kind words. Me and my family are grateful to you. We're trying to find that strength you mentioned, and I truly believe that my brother's spirit is still around helping us in that difficult task of moving forward, while never forgetting him.

There were days when suffering was really unbearable, but I feel that now pain is turning into a milder sense of loss. We have nice, warm (even funny) memories of my brother, and that, along with the solidarity of Friends like you, is helping us through this hard process.

Thanks again!

Obrigado. Um grande abraço.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss!!  I hope that you and your family can build from the strength that your brother showed.  I hope that being back on the road running can help heal your soul.

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf

Thank you so much, Jennifer, for your words of solidarity and encouragement.

Yes, my brother's strength, along with his kindness, are a solid base on which to re-build our lives and try to move forward the best we can. We will never forget him - he will always be with us - yet I know he'd want us to continue living our own lives. It's still very hard, but he'd never 'allow' us (me & our parents) to give up.

And for me, as you say, running is also a way to ease the pain. And it's undoubtfully helping me.

Your kind words - and those of other friends as well - are also a comfort. I can't really express how grateful me and my family are to you.

Thank You, again.

Just remember that you have a strong virtual running group here to support you as venture through this!!!

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf

I'm am so sorry to hear about this.  Words can not express the loss of a special person in your life.....especially after fighting so hard for his life.  I am confident you and your family will find the strength to carry because you have your brother there in memories and spirit.  You said he always looked after you and your parents and I truly believe that will not stop now.  I'm sending many thoughts and prayers your way.

Gayle

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

To Jeniffer:

I will remember that, and I will not forget your solidarity at this difficult moment, as well. Thank you.

To Gayle:

"You said he always looked after you and your parents and I truly believe that will not stop now." . These were your words and I think you couldn't be more right - I do believe that, too. 

Thank you so much for thinking of me, my brother and my parents. As I said to the other friends who expressed their solidarity, your words and thoughts are a real comfort to us all. It's good to know you're there.

Please, let's all keep in touch. People of goodwill, whatever their country of origin, religious beliefs or political ideas, always need each other. Thanks again.

José Pedro

Please, let's all keep in touch. People of goodwill, whatever their country of origin, religious beliefs or political ideas, always need each other. Thanks again.

José Pedro

You have brought tears to my eyes.  You are right we do need each other and we have so much to learn from others.  That's what I love about RA....it brings us all together from all over the world and shows us how much we need our neighbors no matter how far away the neighbors are.  Take care

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Glad you feel like that too, Gayle. Have a nice Sunday.

Maggie & Molly

My heart cries for you today. I am so sorry this tragedy has happened.  It seems that your brother was an amazing, outstanding person.  He will now be by your side for each step you take.  

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                        Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Cheryl,

The gratitude I've expressed to every other RA friend that manifested solidarity goes your way, too.

I know I'm repeating myself but it's still truthfull and sincere: me and my parents thank you for being with us and my brother at this time. And yes, he was a really, really wonderful person - much better than I ever was or will ever be.

You may be sure that your words and expressed feelings really make a difference - they're a comfort to me and my family. Thank you so much, and may the days and years ahead of us bring the best for you and your loved ones.

Was thinking about you and yours on one of my early morning runs and thought I would let you know.  :-)

ThankYou for sharing those thoughts with me ... I feel glad, grateful & also humbled by that.

You know, the day I'm writing this reply is my brother's birthday anniversary. For me it's not a day of grief but  a moment to celebrate his life and all the love and joy he gave us... of course I'd like to have him physically by my side, hug him on this special day... - that makes me sad, but I'm trying to be positive & grateful to the chance life offered me of having a brother as fine as him.

Thanks again, Gayle. See you soon!

Maggie & Molly

Celebrate his life.  You are right to see it as a chance to recall fond memories and not to dwell in sadness.  I am sue your brother is proud. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                                Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363