1000Km-621 mile club

Race Report(s) (Read 165 times)

I had my third 5K this year and only my 4th since I trashed my ankle last year. This course was kind of strange.It was almost cross country....across parking lots with speed bumps and rain puddles (big storm the night before), concrete sidewalks, across grass and through a corner of a field. Had to really watch the footing going from wet grass or mud back to concrete or asphat. Oh I did tell you it was fun, right. Cool Got there kind of late...got lost onthe way Roll eyes, just out signed up (FREE everything) and raced out to warm up and stretch. Nicely warmed up and then when the gun was suppose to go off at 8 a.m. no race director in sight. Sad It seemed colder then the temps said from the rain and wetness still there from the storms the night before. Finally the race director shows up, thanks all the sponsers, talked about safety on the course, yada, yada, yada. Then we are off. I lose my friend (running partner) at the very start when I'm trying to avoid people, pot holes and speed bumps. The field splits right away and I just try to get out ahead of the walkers. Still no sight of my running partner (she's the same speed as me) and I settle into what I think is a good steady pace trying to avoid grates, holes, and everthing else. At one mile my Garmie beeps and I look down in disbelief...8:37. Shocked I know I have to slow down...my PR for one mile is 8:30 and I'm headed for trouble. So I start watching my HR trying to pull it back to the low 180's instead of 188 where I'm at. Mile two and I'm still doing good and not watching my pace since that is to scary and just concetrating on my breathing and keeping it steady. About 2.5 mile I start having problems, my fast pace is catching up to me and two people pass me. I try to watch them and started saying to myself....steady, steady, steady...I should be able to run this steady and not give up any more ground. I think I'm lying to myself but try not to thinkg about it. Finally hit the final corner and can see that clock way up there and see it click over to 27...that with footsteps me behind me spur me to try and put some speed on. One gal caught me right before the finish line and I took the other. But I was hurting so bad I didn't notice until I got to the end of the chute she pushed in front of me. Sad What can I say though it's a free race, free goods free everything and I have a new PR! Big grin Big grin Very happy and still doing my happy dance! Gayle

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Anya...your turn...race report?

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

8:37??? Shocked Nice job!!!!!! Big grin I had my very first race today, it was just longer than a 5k -- according to the website it was 3.568 miles, so I'm going to round up and say 3.6. My average was an 11:30 mile, I think, and heck, that's good enough for me. I'm not speedy but who cares. I ran the darn thing, I finished, and I feel great!!! Big grin It was a lot easier than any 3.5-4 miles I've done by myself from home. I have to say - racing is AMAZING. I cannot tell you (but you guys already know) how cool that feeling is of being at the start line with 17,000 other runners, waiting to do what we love. Plus everybody was in crazy St. Patrick's Day costumes, painted green, etc., it was all very, very cool. I'm already planning my next race!

Michelle

Michelle, Thanks! Great job on your race! Your first race? No longer a virgin. You showed, you ran, you finished! YEAH! What a GREAT feeling isn't it. Not everyone has the strength to ger'er done! Big grin I love the feeling of all the people around me, everyone working to do their best, everyone excited about what their doing. The race volunters yesterday made this a great race. They were all over the course in their yellow shirts just whooping and hollering for all the runners. Calling out numbers and names if they know them. Makes me smile and kept me going. So are you hooked? You looking for another race now? GREAT job and thank you for sharing!

I'm absolutely hooked, of course! Big grin I have searched all sorts of databases looking for my next race. Found a 5k doggie dash in early May. That might be fun. My 8-year old chocolate lab is a great running partner. I think she'd do very well at a race event, but I'll take her out to a crowded area and run with her first, see how she does. I've been benched since the race with some kind of ankle strain/pulled muscle that's still really sore 3 days later, but hopefully with continued ice/ibuprofen regimen I'll be out there before the end of the week. I'm surprised there's no improvement at all by now, but I guess I really did a number on it. *sigh* I'm losing those good racing vibes - I need to hit the pavement, and SOON!!! Tongue

Michelle

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm so jealous that you can run with your dog. My collie is hopeless. Tries to herd me and everybody else. I can't even take him to soccer games.
                She herds me to get out the door. Roll eyes Once she sees I've got "the pants" on, she herds me from room to room as I get ready to go. It's kind of annoying, but funny at the same time. I do love running with her, until she sees a bunny and either my back or my shoulder gets wrenched! But for the most part, she's a fantastic running partner. She never complains if I cut it short, if I walk, if I decide to go an extra half mile, doesn't matter. She's right there with me. Big grin I haven't taken her since last Thursday, and she's been following me around the house, staring hopefully at me everywhere I go. It's a double edged sword... I love running with her, but if for some reason I get benched, I can't take the guilt that I get from her!!!!!

Michelle

Sorry to hear you've been benched for a bit. Sad So funny about your lab....I'm jealous too! Hope you get better soon!