1000Km-621 mile club

Spring? (Read 386 times)

Wow - 50+ degrees F in Michigan this afternoon.  There is still ice on the local lakes but the snow is off my usual trail.  It was a great run today! 

It's been awful quiet on the 1000K forum.  How is your running going so far this year?

Hi KennyRun.

It's a beautiful day here in Oxford, England too.  I had a lovely run along the river before work.  It finally feels as though spring is on its way.  It's about 8 C here (so I guess that's around 50F to you ).

Running this year is going okay so far.  I'm still nervous about my dodgy foot causing problems, but it is surviving at the moment.

Does anyone have any events coming up?  What are peoples goals for Spring 2010?

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

I'm in a cut back week and watching that silly rabbit open up a lead on me....but I'll feast on that rabbit yet! 

My next event is a 5k in my neighborhood on June 5th.  Can't make any excuses when the starting line is walking distance from my front door!

Well, I'm off to go for my last cut back run before I start chasing that rabbit in earnest again!

Flegmatic Man

Allo,  I'm a running newbie. 

Actually, I started running a little more then a year ago and I came 70 km short of the 1000 K mark. So my goal this year was to make that mark and that's why I subscribed to the club.  I must say the little YTD Distance graph is a good motivator for me.  

At first, that rabbit almost felt like the dinosaur in the rear view mirror (remember Jurrassik parc) .  Now, the runners a ahead and in my back that are pulling and pushing me.

Weather in Montreal is also real nice (I made my first run without the long sleaves today)  but it tend to mess with our minds at this time of year.  Just when we are ready to store the snow shoes, boots and all,  then an other 10 cm  drops over our head.

poutte poutte.

Hi everyone.....My running was picking up nicely....maybe a bit to much to soon.  I bruised my heel and had to knock my miles back.  Now I'm trying to ramp it back up a bit slower.  I have a 5K race at the end of April and a 1/2 marathon at the first June.

Today it's suppose to be in the 60's but tomorrow they are talking rain and cold and snow flurries on Sunday.  Waaaaaaa 

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Nice weather is here at last, I was even able to inline skate some Sunday.

But then - bought me a new running shoe and now I'm fighting with huge blisters. Run for fun, right? Big grin

Nice weather seems to have gone again here.  Had a very damp and grey run this morning, although it was at least quite warm..about 7C.

In terms of running plans I've got a very small and friendly 5 mile race around the grounds of Blenheim Palace in mid-April, and then a 10K in Oxford in May.  These are the first two events I've ever run in so I'm a bit nervous.  I've been running a couple of years, but as I spent from the start of August-December totally unable to run (walking was hard enough) it feels as if I am a total newbie.  I'm trying to run much slower than I was before, but have no idea what it will feel like to race or even if I can run fast without messing up  my foot.  Still, looking forward to the experience though and very happy to be back running.  You don't realise how much you love something until you can't have it/do it!

How is everyone else this week?  Hope the blisters are better soon Kilo and that the heel is better Time2Run.  Flegmatic Man, I totally agree on the YTD distance being great as a motivator, it must be nice running in Montreal I was there for a conference last year (at the same time as the marathon) but wasn't even able to run as my leg was still in a cast!  Huff n Puff enjoy the rabbit chase...and good luck with the 5k training.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Flegmatic Man

Allo,  I just fell down cement stairs during a short run today (icy stairs) .   I got really scared during the split second I was in mid air , the feet up front above the head (that would of made a nice picture though)… Luckily, my butt absorbed most of the shock,  I still hope my fragile back won’t complain too much tomorrow.

I guess running in Montreal is okay if you don’t mind the snow and/or slush and/or hail and/or possible -20C and/or ice patch for 5 months during the year.  I suspect I wouldn’t mind running around the Blenheim Palace either…

I won’t complain,  I must admit one of best contemplative run was last decembre,  -22C, sun getting up by the St-Laurence river,  thick “brumes de mer” above the water…  superb spectacle.

Kilo… I now know 2 Hungarians,  and you both are named Gabor….

...my butt…..ouch.

Have a nice one everyone.

Yes, thanks, blisters getting better, thread sawn through them daily, I could be the test pad of the local embroidery club it seems Smile Meanwhile I'm using my old shoes but I'm confident the new shoes will get into submission...

2 Hungarians, both named Gabor - let's hope it's not me with 2 split personalities Big grin It is the local version of Gabriel anyway.

Hoppity, that run around the Blenheim Palace sounds so good. And btw I've heard about a coastal run around Britain, now *that* sounds fun. Flegmatic Man, it must have been a nice sight indeed, your flip on the stairs.

Spring is totally here now, 20C and windy and sunny - feels so good at last. In 2 short months it will be too damn hot again, the curse of continental weather: cold winters, hot summers.

Yipes Flegmatic Man, that fall doesn't sound fun, I hope any after effects have ceased now!

Yeah, we're lucky here as we don't tend to get very cold, snowy or icy weather, it's beautiful when I see it in other places, but I can imagine a real hassle to live.  We complain enough when we get a foot of snow that lasts for two weeks!    Lack of snow also gives me very few excuses not to run in the winter...you guys that go out in that weather are real runners. 

Kilo, I only know one Hungarian and he is called Szabolcs...I don't know any Gabor's, other than you!  Szabolcs introduced me to Unicum!  The coastal run around Britain does sound good, I can't join in this year which is a shame. 

Hope everyone is having a good week and that the pace bunny isn't giving too much trouble!

Flegmatic Man

I won't send a photo, but it's almost like I would have a Hubble snapshot printed on my rear end.
                        It seems my neck is also a bit stiff.  Mega-fiouf!,  It isn't stopping me from running.

Hope the butt is feeling better Flegmatic man.

How is everyone getting on?

I'm on a mini-taper week this week and getting very scared about the 5 mile race coming up on Sunday.  I was hoping to run it in 40 minutes or less, but we ran the course at our long run pace at the weekend and it is very hilly.  I really don't know if I can  run a course with those hills at that pace, so am now even more nervous than I was.  Eeeek.

Maggie & Molly

hey all ~~  I just can't seem to get my running groove to work.  Each time I try I end up with pain in my buttock.  I had gone to a chiro and that seemed to help but now it is back.  I've scheduled a deep tissue massage to see if that helps.  this is getting old, I tell ya.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                            Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363