1000Km-621 mile club

2011 Goals (Read 373 times)

Running safely

What are everyone's goals for running this year? Obviously it is to at least run 1000 Km. Beyond that, what are your running plans?

I plan to run at least 2 half marathons. They may not be official events, but I will mark out the distance and give it a good effort on a cool Saturday morning. Being that I am a pastor, I have trouble getting Sunday mornings off to run a race. In the US I found it pretty easy to find Saturday races, but as I am currently in Argentina, I have not found but a couple of Saturday races. They are never anything big. All the big events (half and full marathons) are on Sundays.

I would also like to run a marathon in the Fall. I will be back in the US by then. I have not given much thought as to where. I might consider the Indianapolis marathon, which is where I ran my first one in 2008. Since then I have struggled with little injuries that have kept me from the longer distance races. I was training for another marathon in 2009 and got injured. Stress fracture in my foot.

Beyond that, I just want to run consistently. If I do train for a marathon, then I will probably run way more than 1000 Km for the year. But since I had such a horrible year in 2010, I wanted to set myself a realistic, but challenging, goal for 2011 that I should be able to accomplish even if I have to crawl across the 1000 Km mark by the end of the year. In 2008 I was going for 1000 Miles when I got injured. I ended the year with 883 miles. So close to my goal, but I could not keep up the mileage by the end of the year.

That's my plans. Yours?

Maggie & Molly

This is what I posted in my other group:  Some of this is not running but it is all connected for me!

*Run that damn half marathon.  I have never had a goal that simply seemed so unreachable.  This particular goal has been on my short list for several years.  There have been injuries and illness and well, plain old excuses and fear.  I now know I can actually run that far.   This is the year it will happen.  I am stronger.  My running is better and I am determined.   (on a side note - you all have left me with the desire to become a 1/2 fanatic - that just seems so cool so I've got some work to do)  I also re-joined the 1000K group. 

*Strength train.  I used to do this faithfully.  Again, with injuries and illness it was pushed aside.  Then over the last few months my focus was running.  I know, however that it needs to be a mixed bag of activities so weight training is back on the schedule.

*Do a belly dance dance routine with my sister and daughter in the recital.  We keep talking about it but I keep pushing them off.  I think I can handle it now. 

*Continue on my way to reaching 150 pounds.  I find myself paying much more attention to what I eat and why I eat.  Although I am not perfect and have detoured at times I just feel more committed to being healthy.  Reaching this goal is part of that. 

*Both Jim and I are committed to ridding our lives of your debt this year.    We have been working on this task so are partly there now. 

*I am currently enrolled in a trauma certificate class.  It is intense but I am gaining a new perspective on  why our clients do some of the things they do.  This has made me realize that I must continue to further my education.  This does not mean degrees post masters but simply enrolling in seminars, etc on a regular basis.  My plan is to attend at least 6 seminars over the coming year. 

*Declutter my home.  I have watched shows and I know that some here have talked about minimalist living.  I don't want to reduce that much but I do want to clean out this house.  Jim and I just have too much stuff.    This will include my not buying tons of things as well. 

*Along the lines of home care.  I want to finish the landscaping, clearing of my yard.  We started it a few years ago but it has been a slow process.   We are almost there!

ok, that is my to do list for now.  Some may change, some may be added but it is a start.  Happy New Year!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Running safely

I love the half marathon distance. Out of my 8 or 10 half marathons I have run, more than half of them have been on my own and not part of an official race. My first one was "with" my brother. He ran an official half marathon in Indianapolis and I ran on the streets through my neighborhood in Mexico. He shared with me his training plan and we kept each other encouraged. The day before the race I rode my bike through town with a can of spray paint and marked off my mile splits.

Since then I have run several other halfs on my own. My most recent was to run over to and around the next town over and back.

Where is everyone else with this group? We are a talkative bunch I see.

Hmmm, my goals are really simple this year.  I plan to run healthy and stay injury free.  I am hoping to run 2 half marathons this year and I am going to run 1 leg of the Barkerville Rush Relay in May.  Had to bow out last year due to injury.  Other than that just to keep my body moving forward.

I always make a goal list for the coming year, but this year I've been slacking.  I'm just not sure what I want to do this year.  At the moment I've been thinking about running my first full marathon, but I know it's a different beast and if I run it I want to run it well and not just finish.  I'm going to run a 1/2 this spring as my long run to help one of my friends out and then the rest of spring I want to try and improve my 5K and 10K times.  The only solid goal I have is I want to run 1,500 miles this year.  I knew last year I wanted to get over 1,000 and did that with ease and finished with 1,350.  So I would like to stretch this year and try for 1,500 WITHOUT injury!

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*sneaks in*

Hi.  While I'd like to run 1000 miles, I'm finding that I'm having a very tough time getting my butt out the door to run.  This is the case every Winter, but especially this Winter.  I have a road bike on a trainer and it's VERY easy to heed the call of the indoor workout.  And once the weather improves...well, then my dilemma will be taking time away from riding said bike OUTDOORS and running.  I'm suspecting that this Summer when it's hot and humid that I'll want to hit the bike to stay cooler (sweat evaporates a lot better at 15-20mph than it does at 5.5-6mph).

So I have a feeling that I'm not going to struggle as much to keep up with the 1000k bunny. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hello, Zoomy!  (waves) nice to see you in our little corner  Big grin  Maybe you'll inspire me to get back on my bike. 

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hello, Zoomy!  (waves) nice to see you in our little corner  Big grin  Maybe you'll inspire me to get back on my bike. 

You know, there has been talk of trying to find an organized ride someplace for RA peeps to meet-up at.  Mississippi and Mishka and I have been discussing this.  You could join us! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Let me know where it is.  I've actually taking a real vacation this year so I'll be a bit short on time and money.....but you never know.  Wink

Running safely

zoom-zoom, I keep saying I am going to ride more, but I just enjoy running too much to take away time from it. But, I have never had a bike that I really enjoyed yet. I have not made the step up to a good bike. I am planning a short bicycle trip soon. Maybe 2 days as a test run and then I would like to do a 4 or 5 day trip. Leave on a Monday and come back Friday, maybe Saturday. But that won't be "exercise," that will be vacation.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

David, I think the bike makes a huge difference.  Kinda like wearing the wrong running shoe...it's not going to encourage running.  I have a clunky old mountain bike that is at least a size too big for me (probably closer to 2 sizes).  I resisted cycling for a good decade because of that bike.  It is physically painful almost from the first pedal stroke.  NOW I understand why that bike was so miserable, since my current ride is actually fit properly (and it's fun to go fast on a road bike.  I could never go fast on that old beast).

And a better bike will shift better and require less tinkering and repair of the components (it certainly helps that my hubby LOVES to do the maintenance on our bikes, too, since there is a certain amount of work involved in riding on a regular basis).

~ Sarah Kay

Running safely

Next year we are looking at planting ourselves somewhat permanently in one place for the first time in 10 years. We will still do a lot of traveling for our work, but finally have a place to call home. I look forward to getting a good bike then. Currently I just buy a cheap used clunker for wherever I am at the time and sell it when I leave.

This is what has made running work so well for me. All I need are shoes.