1000Km-621 mile club

Hi Everyone..... It's Slow Joe (Read 333 times)

Slow Joe

Hi everyone............... I weigh 300 lbs. and here's my story............ Embarrassed I have gained a lot of weight since I was forced to stop running back in July of 2007. It also hasn't helped that my best friend (my father) passed away, my company has moved out of state, let's just say that depression has taken the best of me the last year and a half. My doctor told me that I could start running again, I have been walking about 3 miles everyday for the last 5 weeks. I just started running, very slow, but running on Jan. 26. My goals for '09 are: lose 50 lbs , run at least 621 miles and finish a 10K race. Oh, I also made a vow not to let depression control my life again. Thanks, Slow Joe..........So Calif.
      Thank you Slow Joe for sharing.......welcome to our little group.... I'm so excited to see your goals. You have stated it, you now have a support group (and that dang bunny) to keep accountable and now it's one foot in front of the next..... right through that 10K. Yeah! Big grin Congrats! Depression is tough, but it is doable to beat it, and I have discovered if I can get myself out the door that depression lifts a bit more each time I lace those shoes up. Good luck.....it's tough but you CAN do it!

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Welcome Slow Joe. We'll be here to support you. I understand depression, I wrestle with it. As you know from running in the past those endorphines are wonderful things though. Hang in there & let us know how you're doing. Vicki
          Welcome Slow Joe. I also battled depression and am now addicted to the endorphins I get from running. I truly need them to keep me on an even keel. I know you can do this! BTW, what a cute kitten in your avatar. I have one that looks just like him, only much bigger and all grown up now Smile
          Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
          Slow Joe

Hi everyone, Thanks for the support and kind words....................... I'm turning 44 next month and this is the first time in my life that I had to deal with depression. My recent health problems along with the unexpected death of my father and being unemployed for the first time in my life, took it's toll on me. Thanks to Saint John's wort, your support and the endorphines from running, I am feeling much better.............. My next door neighbors left the mother of the kitty on my avatar behind when they moved. She actually gave birth to a litter of 5 only weeks after they moved. I kept the mother and 3 of the kittens.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Slow Joe. Smile Glad to see you here. 4 cats is a lot of work - I know: I've got 4 myself! I think it's the perfect number, too. Wink Those seem like good, strong goals. I wish you good persistence and luck in reaching your goals!

Roads were made for journeys...

Slow Joe

Hi, Slow Joe. Smile Glad to see you here. 4 cats is a lot of work - I know: I've got 4 myself! I think it's the perfect number, too. Wink Those seem like good, strong goals. I wish you good persistence and luck in reaching your goals!
                Thanks, Wingz............... I'm only 42 miles behind the pace bunny Smile You're right, 4 cats is a lot of work. But if I could, I would have at least 20 Big grin

Maggie & Molly

Welcome Jo ~~ I'm a bit behind the bunny too - we'll catch up. Thanks for sharing a bit of your story. You are on a good track and have some great goals...

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                  Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Slow Joe

Welcome Jo ~~ I'm a bit behind the bunny too - we'll catch up. Thanks for sharing a bit of your story. You are on a good track and have some great goals...
                    Thanks, Cherriruns.......................Ther'es no doubt on my mind that we'll catch up to that bunny Big grin