1000 Mile Club

100 mile club (Read 364 times)

Gig

My daughter has been running a little bit for 3 years now. It's mostly during the Summer, when the Annapolis Striders runs its Junior Striders program. Kids from 4 to 12 have some weekly track practices and monthly track events, which include various distances, culminating in a 1.1 mile run. The Striders also have a Kids Championship series that's a series of fun runs. The first for this year was a 1k. Sofia is 7, and she's a pretty good runner. (Like most kids at the events, they run faster and farther after the race, when they're playing. Sometimes a LOT faster.) Last night I asked Sofia if she'd like to run with me in the morning, and she said "Sure." So we ran/walked 1.25 miles. (Last year she did one event that wasn't a fun run--a one mile race where she ran the whole way and finished in 12:51.) Yes (I'm digressing a lot, but it's only because I can't help bragging.) After our run/walk today, she said maybe she'd do 1,000 miles. Now, I know there are limits to how much you want a young child to run, and although there's much disagreement as to what that limit should be, I don't think too many people would be in favor of 20 miles per week for a 7-year-old. But a short family discussion later had us settling on Sofia being the charter menber of the 100 Mile Club. There are very few days when I'm not a prod papa, but today, I'm brimming. Smile
      Sounds like you had great father daughter bonding time. You should be very proud!! Have you heard of Girls on the Run? It is a tween girls training group for a 5k race. My 10 year old completed the training and race last fall. She really liked it. I have asked the doctor about kids and running. Since the doctor has ran The Boston Marathon and is still a runner I did not mind her answer. She would not have kids run more than a 5k and keep the training low key. Running is very hard on your body. (knew that) The doctors biggest concern was growth. All the pressure on the joints and bones can stunt their growth. Our kids don't have much hope of hitting 5'5 so every cm counts in this family. Congrats to Sofia!

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Isn't it great when your kids want to run with you?? DD9 started running with me last fall, but she quickly got too fast for me, so now she runs with my husband. Her first 5k time was 28:40; a month later, she did her second in 27:23! When I asked her how hard it was for her on a scale of 1 to 10, she said, "Oh, about a 6." So I talked to several people and looked online to see how much she should be running. Everyone said be careful, and make sure she's having fun! One site I looked at said NO MORE than 3 times a week, 5 miles max at a time. From what I saw, I really don't think more than 15 miles a week is a good idea, but you will have to decide for yourself. I don't want my daughter burning out before high school! Her big brother, 15, can now run a mile in 4:43, two miles in 10:12, and 5k in 17:06. I think she has his talent, and I want to encourage it. Here is a link to a great site - this particular page is about a 7-year-old girl! Note in the answer that even a "premier" young runner is doing only 2-3 miles every other day - that's a lot less than 19.2 miles per week or 1000 miles per year. http://www.kidsrunning.com/ask/krask0303sevened.html Good lcuk and congratulations to your daughter! Cool

Dog-Love

You know...I am pretty certain that the 100 mile club has more adult content than...well maybe even more than the 2000 mile club Blush (not that I would know mind you). I can't remember, but I was a member for quite a while and only quit because I was in too many groups. You might want to check out the clientèle before you send her in! Congrats on her running and I think that is a great goal. BTW...Gig...what the heck are you doing on page 4??????? I will hang out at the next aid station and wait for you for a bit...but I am kind of keen on catching daytona306!
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Gig

BTW...Gig...what the heck are you doing on page 4??????? I will hang out at the next aid station and wait for you for a bit...but I am kind of keen on catching daytona306!
            Well, you know that I'm not all that competitive, of course. Evil grin I'm not really sure what's been going on, actually. It's just hard to get out on the weekdays. I've had great weekend workouts, but stuff keeps getting in the way of my after-work runs. Part of it is that my daughter and wife have been taking turns being sick. That tends to mess up my schedule. Talk about inconsiderate. Angry

Dog-Love

Family stuff is definitely tough. My kids are 12 and 14 and I find it sooooo much easier to squeeze a run out even if they are sick. I can make them jello and get the ginger ale and hang out with them....but also get a 3 miler in. I think its great your daughter likes to run and hope she keeps that up. My daughter just love x-country
              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)