1000 Mile Club

leaving group (Read 394 times)

Well I'm leaving this group. I was running my heart out trying to maintain top 15, and have broken my foot. I have ran on it three times before I knew what was wrong. Now I'm in a cast for 6 weeks. I cried all night long...and then I realized that I don't have family members at VA tech, I have a husband/son/parents/friends who love me, and have a healthy heart. One day of pity is enough. I used running as means to deal with my food obession, so this is probably a blessing in disguise. I never was like the rest of you guys anyway, I didn't look around and enjoy the fresh air, pray, read any running books, try to improve time, or think about my strong heart, I was only thinking about my body on the outside. I hope that I come back to running with a stronger attitude. My new goal will be to run 3 miles 3 times a week and do the eltipical trainer for 20 minutes after. Thanks you guys for all the enjoyment, and learing experiences I have received from all of you. I will be thinking about each of you and how jealous I am! Smile Go ahead and beat that bunny!!
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
      Hope your foot heals quickly and correctly. Sorry to see you go, but if you think it is actually a blessing then more power to you! Good Luck!

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

va

...I never was like the rest of you guys anyway, I didn't look around and enjoy the fresh air, pray, read any running books, try to improve time, or think about my strong heart, I was only thinking about my body on the outside...
        Chloe36, don't be so hard on yourself, everyone has different reasons for running, and your reasons are just as good as any others. I hope your foot heals quickly! P.S. You are like me is some ways, "Lose Yourself" is my favorite running song, and I don't have a problem with running on the treadmill.
          Sorry to hear about your bad luck. That sucks. I lost my entire third year of university rugby to a broken collar bone. It's no fun sitting on the sidelines. Hopefully you'll find some new reasons to run that you can be happy with during this hiatus. 6 weeks isn't all that long...
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Chloe, I hope your foot heals fast and that your downtime is not too unpleasant. You are right, we RA folks are a lucky lot...healthy, for one! Take care of yourself and come back when you are healed. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

Hi Chloe- I agree with VA, we all run for different reasons, and it just matters that you're healthy. Smile Happy healing, and I'm sure this 6 weeks will be not be the most fun. But we want to see you when it's over and you're ready to start on your new plan! Join us in the Ladies locker room when you come back, k? Wink deb
              deb
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Chloe - Sorry to hear about your foot! Cry Don't you DARE use your running as another way to beat yourself up! You got out there. You ran. Heck, you've logged 755 miles as of today! That's a lot of running! Come back with a fresh heart and a healed body. You may find that you grow to love running for its own self at some later time. But if you don't, it's okay. Honest! I used running as a way to deal with other problem areas in my life too. It's cheaper than psychotherapy. Wink You are always welcome here.

Roads were made for journeys...

Chloe, I started running for one reason only - to loose weight. For the longest time I didn't even like running but I did like how I felt afterwards. There were also times when running was the only way I could deal with stress. For the longest time I could not find any motivation to run, but over time I grew to love running . But even now I don't look at my times though I do enjoy seeing how the miles add up. Injuries happen as you can see from many posts here. Hope you heal fast and find it in yourself to enjoy running again. If not then any sport that will keep you motivated and fit is fine. After all what matters is that you enjoy it and that you stay active. Ewa
                  I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Go Pre!

I am sorry to hear about your injury! Get well soon, and keep in touch with us even though you're sidelined Smile By the way, how did you break your foot? Daddyo
                      You guys always make me feel so good! Maybe I will be able to complete the 1000k. It is really weird though, I didn't break my foot doing anything. The doctor said I did it running...I guess over time. It started hurting bit by bit. By last Friday, I couldn't walk on it. So after X-rays it was confirmed. I actually have a complete metatarsal (sp?) fracture and two stress factures. It only hurts on the bottom of my foot. Sitting causes no pain at all. I can rub it with all my might and still no pain. Just putting my body weight on it. My good foot hurts worse from lugging my butt around. lol
                      Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I have read about those stress fractures in the feet. I swear, every time I get sore feet during or after a run I get so paranoid of this. Same thing with any shin sensitivity. So far I've just had muscle aches...*knocks on wood* How long before you can run again? Can you maybe start doing some pool work in the meantime? That seems to have really helped others who have been sidelined with stress fractures. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The doctor told me I wasn't allow to do any form of exercise...even riding a stationary bike. I do have a hard cast on so that would limit me as well. I'll go back in four weeks and if the x-rays are cleared I can do little exercising for the next two weeks...then slowly start off running again if all is well. It is hurting worse today...I hope it gets worse before better...you know as it heals back ??????
                            Chloe, I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the 1,000k. You have plenty of time to get back in the swing of things once your foot heals, and even if you don't make it that far by years end, so what? As long as you did the best you could do under the circumstances at the time, does it really matter that you didn't meet some number on some piece of paper? If it's any comfort to you, I've only logged about 1/3 of your miles, and I'm not quitting. I seriously hope you won't either. You've come too far to quit now. Take care of that foot, and I hope you're feeling better soon.
                              Hi Chloe. I'm sorry to hear about your foot. Take it from me... there is life after a broken foot! I did something similar back at the beginning of February. I was diagnosed with an avulsion fracture (suffered just from simply running and/or pushing myself too hard) and had to take 6 weeks off from running. After sitting among the top 10 in the leaderboard for over a month, I'm back at it now and am working to catch up to the rest of the 1000 mile crew. I've cracked back into the top 100! Big grin I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to chasing the 1000 mile mark with you as the year progresses! Chris