1000 Mile Club

Marathon Recovery? (Read 256 times)

I know that many of you have run your first marathon this year (yeah for Sara, Rick, Marion, Freckles, and I'm sure there are more of you out there too!!!). I finished my first marathon almost two weeks ago. I have done three easy run since, and I'm developing some pains - on my left knee it is on the bottom of the kneecap toward the outside of my leg (ITB area?) and on my right leg it is behind the knee - like the muscle group that connects the hammy to the calf muscle. I didn't have any of these pains before the race...and the second half of the race was pretty difficult for me. Is this normal? Should I take it easy and do non-running exercises for another week or so? When should I start to worry that this isn't just soreness/recovery and it is an injury? I currently have a pretty good lead on the bunny, but I don't want to lose too much ground Wink
    db7

I was waiting for someone with a lot more experience to answer this one, but I'll take a shot. Congrats on your excellent effort in your marathon finish. It sounds to me like your body is telling you to take a break. If you didnt have problems before the race and you are now, you need to listen to what your body is saying. Take a couple of weeks off and rest. Get some therapy. Massage, hot tub, sauna. Do some walking or light biking if you need to get out of the house. Then get started again with some easy runs and work your way back into your desired mileage. If you get seriously injured by pushing it too much too soon, you will be out longer than a few weeks. Hope this helps and hope some others give their opinions. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Gig

If you post this question to the Health and Nutrition board in the main forums, There are some really sharp people likely to give you a great answer. They've never let me down. DB's insight sounds spot on to me, but I'm no expert.

Top 'O the World!

Also post it in the racing forum.... Smile
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group