1000 Mile Club

pred - corland -derek WHo will be 1st to reach 1000? (Read 482 times)

I can do a run here and there on a treadmill, but anything longer than 45 mins and I am done. I have a friend who did every training run for a marathon on a treadmill, even his 3+ hour long runs. On a side note, he didn't finish the marathon due to his legs not used to the pavement. Corland I believe you do you long runs on the roads correct?
    Running on the treadmill all winter had my legs not quite ready for outside running and I had a lot of pains at first. However, the treadmill helped me create a firm base, so I wouldn't trade that for anything. There are too many times when because of my schedule with the kids and work, I would end up not running at all if it weren't for the treadmill. This past weekend I ran 20 miles with Pam. This was the longest run of my life and the longest run outside. I was pretty tired afterwards, but I did it. My legs didn't start complaining until mile 16, and then they were just tired. By mile 18 I was noticing some pain in my quads from the hills throught out the course. By mile 20 I was ready to stop. I learned that my first marathon on Sept 9th will be more trying than I hoped.

Michelle

Gig

I learned that my first marathon on Sept 9th will be more trying than I hoped.
      My first (and only) marathon was tough physically, but the mental side was made much easier by the public support. I did the Marine Corps Marathon in 2005, and almost all of the course was lined with people cheering me on. Ostensibly, they were cheering on others as well, but we all know they were really there for me. As far as running on a treadmill, I wish I had one. The hardest part of running for me is finding the time. Whether I'm working late, working on a side project, doing yardwork or household chores, or watching my daughter while my wife tends to one of her many commitments, it's hard to get out the door and pound the pavement. If I had a treadmill, my schedule would be a lot easier.
      corland

The treadmill keeps me feeling good. I use the HR monitor and the treadmill allows me to run faster in my aerobic training zone. I dont hold up well running long miles on the road. Last year I had loads of down time due to injuries. Its boring no doubt, but music, TV and audio books help a ton. I intend to start slowly transitioning the majority of my runs to the road. I currently run 20-30% of my miles outdoors. I'd like to raise that number to 80-90% before my fall marathon. Crossing my fingers hoping the injury bug stays away Smile