1000 Mile Club

running/walking (Read 642 times)

Just a quick question. Does walking count? I'm thinking about running about 4 miles a day, then walking 1 mile in the middle of it. Like walking a quarter mile for every mile I ran. (I have torn cartlidge in knee, and don't want to give up yet) Can I count that as 5 miles? Or is in only 4 miles, because I really only RAN 4. Think of it as mini-breaks.
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
      I don't think there is no problem with counting that as 5 miles. You are still going the full distance. There are training programs out there (Jeff Galloway) that include walking in each mile and the total is counted. Good luck and be careful with the knee.
      Just a quick question. Does walking count? I'm thinking about running about 4 miles a day, then walking 1 mile in the middle of it. Like walking a quarter mile for every mile I ran. (I have torn cartlidge in knee, and don't want to give up yet) Can I count that as 5 miles? Or is in only 4 miles, because I really only RAN 4. Think of it as mini-breaks.
      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was wondering this, myself. I have been forced to walk a bit because of the snow and ice.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

Count it, girlfriend. If I ever do a marathon, I'm going to have to do a run/walk, and I will surely count every single mile! Of course I'd expect anyone who trains that way to count their walking as mileage. You're the smart one here, walking just a little to stay healthy! And Kirsten, if you fall because the d@$% bunny trips you in the ice and snow, you're booted from the team! Wink
          deb
          va

In my opinion the 1000 Mile Club should welcome all people who intend to transport themselves 1000 miles, under their own power. This includes running, walking, and hopping (like the pace bunny). It shouldn't matter how slow or fast they travel. So, if someone walks the entire 1000 miles, I'll be happy for them.
            RunningHammer

Just my opinion and i only apply it to myself not to anyone else, but I don't count any walking - in fact i very very rarely walk even when I feel like I'm running in lead boots as i feel like I'm letting myself down in some way...silly maybe but that's just how it feels to me. I like to push myself that little bit more. It's a challenge! Having said that, when i was not as fit, when I was starting out, i did used to take walk breaks and i counted those in the mileage - but i also counted the time so it really slowed my pace down when calculated at the end. Even now I won't even count the warm up and cool down as part of my workout mileage, and that amounts to 2 miles on a good day.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And Kirsten, if you fall because the d@$% bunny trips you in the ice and snow, you're booted from the team! Wink
                Hey, shouldn't that bunny be the one to get booted for cheating?! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

I have been counting walking and cross country skiing because my knee has forced me into getting an MRI and I do not want to sit and watch that rabbit get away. In a couple of weeks I will be back running and not walking. And if someone wanted to walk 1000 miles I say..get off your butt and do it!
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                    I'm in the same situation...I had a MRI and have torn cartlidge in my knee. I currently run about 26 miles a week. But I don't think my body really wants me to continue at that level. Last year at this time I had torn cartlidge in my other knee, so maybe someone or something is trying to tell me something. My plan is to run 16 miles a week and walk 4. So bascially run 4 days a week and run the first 4 miles then 1 walk the last one. In addition I will continue my yoga and strength training. Surely my body can handle that. Thanks for not making me feel like a loser. For one day I was in the top eight in the race...i guess it was nice while it lasted Wink
                    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th

Now that was a bath...

Maybe it's an English thing! I'm with Running Hammer (and it's not often that a Gooner can say that) - I walk between 4 & 8 miles almost every day and I don't log it as I don't consider it part of my running program. I simply have to do it. It's 1.5 miles to my son's school so I have to walk 6 miles just getting him there and back, plus I walk to the shops everyday and take the kids to activities. I don't drive so my feet are all I got! That said it's an individual thing and I have never thought of the 1000 mile club as a competition . I don't think that it's a problem if someone wants to run/walk or even to walk/run the distance. It's about setting ourselves a goal and aiming high. Quote: In my opinion the 1000 Mile Club should welcome all people who intend to transport themselves 1000 miles, under their own power. This includes running, walking, and hopping (like the pace bunny). It shouldn't matter how slow or fast they travel. So, if someone walks the entire 1000 miles, I'll be happy for them. - Well said VA123!!! Claire xxx
                    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                      bas

For me, the focus is on running. But you might say walking breaks are part of it! Case in point: I ran a half marathon a week ago and took walking breaks at two water stations. And yes, they are part of the 21.1 km Smile I would never log walks though. Or bike rides, for that matter. (I live in Amsterdam, so my bike is my daily transport). But that's just me. I certainly don't mind if other people do include miles/kilometers they walk/bike/row/swim/.... As Claire says: This is not a race! And I suspect the pace bunny of taking walking breaks all the time Smile bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

I suspect the pace bunny of taking walking breaks all the time Smile bas
                          The bunny is a real slow poke - he averages 0.11 miles per hour!!! Sheesh. Good thing we pay him by the day and not by the hour!!!
                            Thanks guys! I would have never ever considered walking as part of it, but with an injury I'm forced to give in a little bit. I figure to keep up, I'll run 16 miles weekly and walk the other 4. Oh well... I did discover Icy Hot today. Underneath 3 knee braces it really worked well... Did my four miles w/o a problem, slower but still pulling along. I know, I know I should rest it...right now that is not an option for me...(thanks for not flaming me!) thanks again

madness baby

Hey, shouldn't that bunny be the one to get booted for cheating?! Tongue k
                              Okay, good point, but you lose style points if you fall from trying to run on ice. I'm not sure that I would ever run again Wink
                              deb
                                Different topic but......... I can't believe the 'I'm injured but I still run even though it hurts' approach!! A bit of discomfort in the knees etc. (you know the feeling) is fine in my book but if your strapped and creamed up and then your running and it hurts I'd say it's a sure fire case of being injured, full stop! And that doing things that make an injury sore will not benefit the recovery of that injury. The main objective when injured is to- 1) Not make it worse by continuing to punish the area. 2) Rest the injured area- completely if necessary. 3) Do whatever cross training you can do to maintain fitness and flexibility. 4) Not start back too quickly or harshly so as to relapse. I injured my knee before Christmas and took 3 weeks off, completely. Just walked and stretched and did some anaerobic stuff. I didn't run on it because it was sore whenever I tried to. If you can get a painkiller or treatment that gets rid of or helps the pain that's great but it doesn't convert into being ready to run. What it means is that medical science is great and makes us at times feel alot better than we truly are! Listen to your body. Plenty time to catch up later, it's only 24th of Jan!!