1000 Mile Club

Is anyone's mileage suffering because of the weather? (Read 445 times)

derek

I was wondering if anyone is having problems keeping up their mileage because of the weather? It hasn't affected me so far, but we have snow on the ground today here in N. Texas and I'm trying to decide if to run today in the snow. I've never run in snow as yet.

Derek

I'm too stubburn to let the weather really effect my running that much. I have to admit though that it really wasn't fun yesterday doing a tempo run in under 30 degree weather with winds 14mph-16mph while it was snowing. Today's run in 18 degrees was alot better cause at least the sun was out.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

It hasn't affected me so far, but we have snow on the ground today here in N. Texas and I'm trying to decide if to run today in the snow. I've never run in snow as yet.
        Snow is easy, it's ice that's hard!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dog-Love

I was wondering if anyone is having problems keeping up their mileage because of the weather?
          The weather is not the major problem...its my darn knee...and when it recovers, I am going to make up some miles. The weather does slow me down because of all of the clothes, but I actually love runninng in the snow.
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Snow is easy, it's ice that's hard!
            Yep. Yesterday's run was nicer than today's. Today the actual temps were warmer, but it was so much windier that the wind-chill factor made it feel below 0. All of the snow on the roadways melted a little yesterday and overnight turned to black ice, so it was harder to find terrain safe to run on. I did a lot of zig-zagging between dry asphalt and the snowy shoulder. That's tough stuff to run in, but at least I had good traction there. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

oogedy_boogedy

It isn't really the weather that gets to me, it is what happens during bad weather. I recently caught the flu after a couple easy days in sub- freezing temps, and now I am definitely struggling to get back into rhythm. By now I should have about 50 miles (like I planned), but now, I have a little under 15. Weather sucks! Dead

Now that was a bath...

Derek - there you are! I was wondering about you yesterday as it seemed a little while since your last post. I started running at the end of Spring here in NZ and now it's summer so i have never had to face the cold. Of course it doesn't get cold enough to snow in Auckland and we might only get 1or 2 frosts a year so I guess I won't have that much to complain about. May winter sunshine rock your world. Claire xxx
              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                  Dude, in Canada, if we didn't run in the snow we wouldn't run from Oct - Apr (Climate Change and Global Warming notwithstanding). Embrace the snow. Love it. WinkShorten your stride, land more on your mid sole, put your head down and give 'er.
                    Dude, in Canada, if we didn't run in the snow we wouldn't run from Oct - Apr (Climate Change and Global Warming notwithstanding). Embrace the snow. Love it. WinkShorten your stride, land more on your mid sole, put your head down and give 'er.
                    And THAT's why I moved from the 'Peg (that's Winterpeg for the rest of ya) to sunny Southern California. And we cry here when it hits freezing. Ohh, my oranges!!!!! Cool
                    1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
                      Mileage, No. Sanity, Yes. Monday = Mid 80's. Wednesday Night / Thursday = Freezing Rain and Ice. Hurray for SC weather. Angry
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mileage, No. Sanity, Yes. Monday = Mid 80's. Wednesday Night / Thursday = Freezing Rain and Ice. Hurray for SC weather. Angry
                        Damn, and I thought MI was erratic! That's crazy! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I must not be as tough yet. Embarrassed Weather is effecting my mileage big time. Today was the first day to finally hit 32 (midday) since last Thurs.only the wind is still blowing like it's NEVER going to stop! 30 to 35 mph - so wind chill is horrid by the time I get home between 4:30 and 5:30 p.m. Even then it might be beaten IF just the ice would finally melt. Oh, wait it has to get over 32 to melt. Hmmmm. Wind chills have been in the negative - I'd like to least to be above 15 while, I'm running. Dead Embarrassed Ok, I'll quit whining and hope I can get outside tomorrow and get off the trainer!!!! It's suppose to be between 36 and 28 by the time I get home. Windchill is suppose to be between 26 and 19. A HEAT WAVE! Big grin

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

derek

Derek - there you are! I was wondering about you yesterday as it seemed a little while since your last post.
                            I'm still around, still battling with my knee, but it hasn't stopped me from running the mileage I want to run. I made 28 miles last week and I want to run 30 this week. The snow melted by the time I did my run today so I still haven't had to run in the snow. There were just a couple wet spots that I had to careful of, ensuring that it wasn't icy

Derek

Same here as I am in the Atlanta area. So far the weather has not affected the mileage.
                              http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                                I started running in the gym when the ice came. Unfortunately, I hurt my back running stairs and have had to take a week off. It's frustrating because I was doing so well. Now the pace bunny is pulling away. I will be back "little rabbit!"