10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

What to eat this week? (Read 606 times)

I'm running a very tough, hilly 8k on Saturday and have cut back my mileage in preparation. This will be my longest official race and I'm pumped! Should I lighten up a bit this week on the food since I am not running as far/fast? Don't want to feel like a "lardball" running through the hills. Blush Any assistance greatly appreciated! Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I think your log shows you are well prepared. I am not aware you need to do anything special in the way of changing eating habits before a race, perhaps I simply don't know enough about the subject. (It is a short race, and should be coolish temps. Is High park that hilly?) Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Is High park that hilly? Simon.
        HELL, YEAH! Shocked I have run the 5k twice and the 800m hill at the end just about killed me! In the 8k, there are TWO hills. Thanks for the encouragement, though! This is the first time I have worked seriously to train for a race. Wish me luck!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Marquess of Utopia

I usually eat a greater percentage of carbs a day or two before a race. I wouldn't cut back on your caloric intake, you don’t want to be running on empty. Good luck in your race.